1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rfrocket, May 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

My computer screen suddenly has a kinda greenish tint to it.

It happened while I was logged in, and I didn't change any settings. I shut everything down, and restarted, but it didn't help. Is there a way to tell if it's my monitor, or if it's my graphics card at fault without getting another monitor, and hooking it up?

I have a 3 year old HP desktop with an intel-integrated graphics card, and my monitor is probably a lot older than that. It was given to me, but it's a 19" HP that weighs like 100 pounds. I don't know if it matters(or contributed to my problem), but I always leave both plugged in, and running 24/7.

Thanks.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You might want to check the pins on the monitor connection and make sure none of them got bent somehow.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

monitor for sure....

if possible...swap the signal cord going from video card to monitor...see if that helps...if it doesnt..ad the pins arent bent....then monitor is kaput.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If it's dying, beat it a couple times to get some moments of normal color. It won't get any better.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

There's definitely little doubt that it's the monitor.

7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks for the answers guys.

I've been doing some research on the net too, and most of the time it seems to be the monitor dying. Mine's even starting to cut off sometimes so I guess the end may be near for it.

I've never bought a monitor before(this is my 1st comp), so I guess I'll have to decide between a crt, and a lcd.

Do you have to have a certain level graphics card to run a lcd?
    I read something about having to be at a fixed(or higher) resolution.

How are the lcd's for gaming? I don't run any of the high-end pc games as I'm more of a console gamer, but I do run some low-end games, and I still want to be able to play them.

Any shopping tips?

Wow!
    My monitors starting to supernova now every 3-4 minutes. Getting brighter, and brighter green for a few seconds, and then expanding out, and dying(cutting out).

Let me just say thanks for any future responses in case it dies for good before I can reply again.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

CRT can run higher definitions. Most 19 inch LCDs max (or native resolution) is 1600x1200 or 1280x1024, so if you have a killer card, you should notice the listed native resolution.

Also check to see if your gfx card has a DVI slot (models 2 years or younger will) . Some LCDs run analog VGA, but the better models support a digital and pure stream through DVI. My Dell flat panel uses VGA, but since this is my first flat panel, I can't tell nor care about the difference.

I've played Half Life 2 on the flat panel and I notice little trailing on my 16ms flat panel. A general rule is the lower the listed ms, the better it the lcd can handle faster images. You'll want one with at least 16 ms, but some people don't even notice 20 ms flat panels with better quality. Do know that there isn't a ms standard and some companies like to fudge up that number, so don't base your purchase on that alone. Name brand quality matters, so research is the most important tool you'll have.

As for movies, LCDs perform the worst compared to CRTs (and plasma for the TV owners), because there is some ghosting in the fast action scenes and the darker shades look muddy in comparison. I've watched several dvds on my monitor and I don't think it's that big a deal.

The verdict- with my 19 inch flat panel, I've saved more space than my 17 inch and the crispness of the text and pictures I see online far exceeds any of the theoretical clarity you'd get with CRTs on fast moving images. Plus there's less eyestrain and no quirky ideas of millions of electrons speeding into your face...

Wow!
    My monitors starting to supernova now every 3-4 minutes. Getting brighter, and brighter green for a few seconds, and then expanding out, and dying(cutting out).

Let me just say thanks for any future responses in case it dies for good before I can reply again.
    [/QUOTE]