1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rfrocket, Oct 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Hey guys.

Got a computer problem, and thought I might get some help here. A girl I know just gave me a older computer, and monitor from her business(closed down). Said they had been using it, and worked fine.

Hooked everything up, and it won't work. Message on the monitor reads "VIDEO CABLE CONNECTED?". It is. Power light comes on, and I can hear the HD spinning.

Hooked up the monitor to another computer, and it works fine so it's not the monitor/cable. Hooked up another monitor to the new computer, and it still doesn't work so it must be the computer that's the problem. As I said before the power light comes on, and I can hear the HD spinning.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

3. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Check to see if the vid card is firmly placed in it's slot and check the power supply.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Similar thing happened to me in the past. Got an old computer for my classroom with a very similar message about a cable being plugged/unplugged.

There was a disk left over in the CD-Rom that I wasn't aware of. I took it out and everything was fine.

I know that's a long shot, but I'm hoping your figure it out. :)

Cod

5. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

It's your memory or video card. Try taking out your memory and putting it back in. If that doesn't work, you will need to buy more memory. Most of the time, reseating the memory fixes the problem. I'm a computer technician and work on those issues all the time. Hope this helps.

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. (No cd's in tray)

Don't know why a computer would need MORE memory just to turn on. Maybe you meant replace memory. Anyways I will try the reseat thing later today when I have time from work. This may sound like a stupid question, but when I reseat the memory does the power need to be on or off? I've only took the back off a comp. once in my life(change cd burner).

Thanks randerson, and everyone else.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

re-seat the video card. That often fixes video issues..

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I would have the power OFF.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

+ 1

also, double check to ensure that you aren't trying to plugin to a disabled video port.
    Sometimes the computer will come with on-board video, and folks will install a add-on card to use instead.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The video card may have moved during "shipping", since it was so old and it was stationary for a while. Also, check the input on the computer to make sure there isn't dust or something from the connection left in there... sometimes the pins from the connection come off. Do a quick blowing of the back to remove any possible dust left on the input. :cool: If you've reseated the card and it still DOESN'T work, jiggle the cable at the point of the connection just slightly to see if you get any response on the screen. Sometimes ONE or TWO PINs don't seem to connect completely.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Might be the power supply since its an older computer. I had a similar problem a month back..The hard drive would turn on, but no picture on the monitor. After diagnosing it wasn't a monitor or memory problem, I realized it was a power supply problem. I bought a new one for 30 bucks or so and now the comp. works fine.