1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Poloshirtbandit, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Poloshirtbandit

I was using my PC just now it froze so I had to do a manual restart. When I tried to start it back up, the monitor doesn't power on nor do the keyboard or mouse. The hard drive light and fan comes on but that's it.

The LED on the motherboard says C1. I did a Google search on that but can't find anything. Do I need to replace the board is there something else wrong? It's an Epox AMD 64 board if that's any help.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is your RAM memory seated properly?

Do you have some other RAM (known to be good) to test in the troubled system?

Do you get a beep sound when trying to startup?

3. Poloshirtbandit

No beep when it starts up. I don't have any spare RAM to test.

4. Mango

How many memory chips do you have in the computer?

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

your mother board might be gone or like someone said, ram. what he wants you to do is take one stick of memory out and see if it works. then try again with the other one. if they both don't work, it's most likely the mb.

6. Poloshirtbandit

Two 512s I think. If the RAM was bad, would the monitor and keyboard turn on though?

7. Mango

If the memory test fails, it (startup) is probably not even getting to the keyboard and monitor.

Is the fan - cooler working on your CPU?

8. Mango

What is the status of your computer?

9. Poloshirtbandit

I haven't had time to look at it yet. I'm trying to get a hold of the guy that put it together.

10. Poloshirtbandit

I took one of the RAM sticks out and the computer booted into Windows. I turned the computer off then tried the other one and couldn't get the computer start.

I put the old one back in and now I can't get Windows to start at all. Now the board gives a 7F error.

Also, if no keyboard or mouse are plugged in the monitor turns on. If the keyboard and mouse are plugged in, the monitor won't turn on. If I press the Num Lock or Caps Lock button on the keyboard, they light up.

11. Poloshirtbandit

edit:

This is confusing me. I started the computer without the keyboard and mouse plugged in, then plugged in the keyboard when it got to the screen that gives the temperature info and all that. Pressed F1 on keyboard and Windows loaded.

I restarted the computer and left the keyboard plugged in. Looks like the monitor doesn't turn on until the Windows login screen so I can't see the boot process or any of that.