1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Feb 13, 2011.

1. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

I was wondering if someone here who is more adapt with computers can help me out. Tonight my desktop stopped working. Up until tonight it was running perfectly as far as I could tell.

The only thing that I had noticed about it over the last week or two is the power supply sounded like it was running a little harder/louder than usual and somtimes the noise it made would get louder and then lower and louder and lower sorta like an engine revving up and down but not to an extent that one would raise their eyebrows at it or suspect anything.

Tonight I was in the process of updating the drivers for my video card when the computer rebooted. This process occurred 3 more times over then span of the next 10 minutes before I turned the computer off entirely. I clicked the on/off button on the power supply off and unplugged it. I tried resetting the CMOS battery at this time. I then plugged the power supply back in and clicked the on/off switch back on. I go to turn the computer back on and now it will not post.

I am still getting power to all of the various fans and the DVD-RW burnner turns on and will eject and close. The only thing that I have noticed not working at this time (aside from the lack of post) is that the blue light that lights up the on/off button to my mid tower and the hdd light is not working anymore.

I have tried reseating everything in the computer but the results are still the same in the computer still won't post anymore.

Anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. what

what Member

When you say it wont post, does the screen flash on or does the computer turn on but no monitor? I'm a little rusty on actual post beeps, but you should hear some beeps to let you know if there is a problem with the post or not.

If it was just the drivers and you weren't flashing anything I don't see how you could have done damage to the video card.

I would continue to try and clear the cmos. Are you sure you are doing that right? Other than that, you could take everything off your computer 1 by 1 and see if it will boot up to find the problem.

3. what

what Member

4. rcoleman15

When I say it won't post...what I mean as it doesn't beep at all. It used to when it was working fine as I would get one beep and then Windows 7 would load. As it is now there are no beeps and there is no video signal being sent out to the primary monitor we use to browse the internet or the Tv we also have it hooked up to watch movies.

It isn't any new drivers. I never actually got as far as to download them. I got to the website and then the computer started rebooting.

As per the instructions in the book for the motherboard it say to remove the cmos battery wait a minute and then plug it back in. I have done that several times now.

I have also done this twice now as well.

5. what

what Member

Are you overclocking your processor?

6. what

what Member

The reason why I ask is that you could be getting inconsistent voltage, but to know this you need a voltage meter which I doubt you have. If you have a cheap power supply that could well be your problem.

7. rcoleman15

Nope. Neither the CPU nor the video card is overclocked. Don't have a need for it as no one around here is a gamer.

As it is the CPU is pretty strong on it's own as it is a 3.2Ghz dualcore Pentium D 940 so there is really no need to overclock it.

8. rcoleman15

And you would be correct. LOL.

I have no idea. My son built us this computer. This is what the power supply model number says it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170011

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I would suspect issue with power supply as well.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

My first guess would be the power supply. I looked at the link, I don't know much about that brand.

Go to a local store, buy a new power supply. Places like Staples carry Antec, and you can return it if it doesn't fix your problem.

11. rcoleman15

I am thinking it may have been the power supply as well given the subtle noises it was making over the last two weeks. We ran into this problem before about 3 years back which is how we came to getting this computer.

That computer wouldn't post as well and then began an expensive guessing game as to what was wrong with it. Took that computer to a repair shop.

First they said the power supply was fine and replaced the motherboard and didn't get any results, then they replaced the CPU and got the same. They then decided to replace the powersupply and that finally fixed it at which time they tried to charge me an obscene amount for the new motherboard and CPU. I said screw it keep the computer at which time my son built this one for us which has been a really solid computer up until tonight.

Anyways I will take the advice given here and try a new powersupply. Thanks all.

12. what

what Member

buy a decent power supply, which are usually around 100.00 bucks or so, don't go with a cheap 20 dollar model.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Make sure you buy a decent power supply, no cheapos.

Look for something that is rated, at a minimum bronze.

14. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

If there is no post and motherboard fan/light(some boards have a LED indicating power is passing through even if PC is not on) does not come on then your power supply has failed. Just replace with same watts,dimensions, and make sure to get the right power supply form factor(ATX, mini ATX, AT, etc.). You can use the old one for reference it should say on it. Good luck with it.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Try replacing it with a new battery for the motherboard and see if that work. Do you know much about fixing a computer? Because since you said you reseated some stuff in the computer. You have to make sure you plug everything and seated properly like it was before(hd) or else your computer will not post.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

has nothing to do with a battery.

If the battery on the mobo is dead, it will post but then give you an error message saying the battery is dead. and to hit F1 to continue.

given the symptoms and your statement about PS noise, I would go with a PS first. Follow the suggestions above about buying a quality one.

17. rcoleman15

I know a little bit...basically what my son taught me for simple repairs and fixes. As far as everything being installed properly that is the reason I did it twice basically double checking everything so everything at this time is seated and installed properly in the computer.

As far as power supplies go what do you the jury think of this one. I can get it at a price of about $65 dollars depending on what online store you are at.

Here is a link to the PSU:
    http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/global/product.php?id=MTc1OA==

18. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

I've gone through a few PSUs mostly because of their reliability (or lack of) and inability to power my system stably. Before I bought my current one I used a tier guide for buying my PSU. While a brand may be good overall, there may be some models that aren't. I couldn't find the original list I used, but I managed to find these:

OverclockersClub Forums

NewEgg Tiered List

The OCC list says it was updated this month, but the NewEgg list may not have been updated in some time. As a result, newer model PSUs may not show up on the Tiered List.

Don't skimp on the PSU because a bad PSU can cause damage to your hardware and cost you more money in the long run. Just make sure it's capable of supporting your system.