1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Complete breakdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Mar 10, 2023.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

As some know, I’ve been battling stage 4 cancer. While physically I’ve been improving, last scans showed no signs of cancer, mentally I’m going downhill.The meds I have to take make me more sick than the damn disease and until medical science advances I will always have to take them.

it makes no sense. I’m up for my second promotion since being diagnosed, I have an amazing support network - wife family work etc, and yet I still see myself spiraling downhill.

I have a psychologist and psychiatrist, I’ve quit drinking, I’ve picked up new hobbies, even won money in a pro-am pickleball tournament the other day, and yet I can’t kick this.

I know there are others in this group that have been through similar situations. What can be done to feel normal again? This hits me every few months and it’s ****ing terrible.

daywalker02, ROCKSS, Reeko and 28 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm really sorry to hear this. I wish the Rockets could make you feel better...hopefully starting next season.

Great news that scans show no signs of cancer. I hope it stays that way, and eventually you can come off the meds which seem to drag you down.

You have always been a poster with a good sense of humour. I hope you can get through this phase and will soon be happy again.

#2 AroundTheWorld, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I need Germans to step up with the science. I’ve lost faith in my peeps ;).

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

We’ve procrastinated long enough.

ROCKSS, Yung-T, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Only if it’s in German.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I want to point out the power of this network. While I’ve never met Xero, we’ve chatted many times, and he gave me a shout to get me to calm down.

I appreciate everyone’s input, and can’t thank @Xerobull enough for his kindness to chat with me while I was down.

IBTL, daywalker02, Sadat X and 4 others like this.
  7. AkeemTheDreem86

A good way to remember it's all a construct in one's mind is by remembering how God damned hilarious it all is! Don't need to know how to know that you will get through it.
    ((()))

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think the new south park episodes have been pretty hilarious if you haven't caught them yet, on HBO.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What I was trying to say was that I have always been enjoying @CCorn's posts, and that I hope that he can get back to his positive spirit to help him through the situation. Obviously, I didn't mean to say that anything is hilarious about this.

Yung-T and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Have you tried going to church? Just an option.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I've found gardening and learning about Mycology to be therapeutic. There is something to caring for plants from seed to maturation and witnessing their growth cycle over the course of a season. You confront death frequently gardening but in a way that makes you appreciate it's cyclical and just one part of life.

Chronic pain be it from medication to treat the disease or the actual disease itself is tough on anyone's mental health and I don't think you having a breakdown is a sign of losing it. It's just the total accumulation of everything going on in your life that you're trying to express which I'm sure probably feels overwhelming at times. If anything, I'd say to cut yourself some slack considering you are managing a marriage, a career, bills, friendships and other relationships on top of managing a potentially terminal illness you gotta be mindful of for the rest of your life. I've no doubt your experiences raises questions of personal meaning and I'm sure other questions you probably haven't found the vocabulary to express in a way that feels healthy to you. Hang in there, reach out to people you love and love you, keep doing your best and don't stop trying.

I don't know you IRL but I do enjoy your posts and find a lot of your humor relatable. You strike me as a good man.

#12 London'sBurning, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Yung-T, rocketsjudoka, MadMax and 2 others like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

IBTL likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Damn brother sorry to hear this.
    When did you find it? What symptoms where you having?

This is the thing that pisses me off. Healthcare is failing us in early detection. FDA is also failing us with so many bs chemicals they allow.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Very sorry to hear this, man.

Extremely glad that your scans showed as clear.

Keep leaning on your sense of humor and new adventures. Glad to hear you have a great support network.

I've mentioned this before in a couple places, but I'm in the cancer treatment fields. I'm just a peon, and have no power, but feel free to message me through the board if you ever need to talk.

Hang in there.

Yung-T and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Vomiting and hives/rashes mostly.

**** hit the fan this morning. But I’m doing better now.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I finally was able to sleep. First time in a couple of days. My wife is out of town, so not having my support network got to me this week.

Ended up calling the crisis line. And when an advocate came to my place, she asked if there was anything in the house I could harm myself with. Instead of being serious I decided to make a joke. “Well I live on the water but I have to be honest I’m way too buoyant to drown myself”. She started laughing her ass off and then spent the next few minutes apologizing lol.

Anyways, I now have 15 baby sitters - parents and friends, not letting me out of their site.

Mentally I’m fine again. But **** I went off the rails.

Thank you everyone who responded to this. Great network here on CF.

#17 CCorn, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Andre0087, Reeko, Yung-T and 15 others like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I have no advice I can give you on the medical side. From the mental side having a good support network is very important and it sounds like you’ve got a good one with family and friends.

I don’t know what things you have a passion about but that can really help. As another poster mentioned gardening could be one. Music , particularly playing music could be another. Self improvement and finding ways to broaden your horizons is always good. Studying things like philosophy and history help me. I don’t know how old you are but mentoring and helping young people also help. I love coaching Judo but also helping interns and people staring out in my field.

From a spiritual standpoint I’m a believer in the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism and the first truth is that all of existence is suffering and while that might seem depressing at first it puts into perspective it helps me when I feel down and alone that it is our nature to feel things like pain and sorrow. From there we can understand that suffering is created by thought and we can control and move beyond our thoughts.

Hope that helps.

Yung-T, CCorn, Xerobull and 1 other person like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about this @CCorn. I never know what to say when someone is going through such a hard time because 1) I'm usually very uninformed on their particular issue and thus unsuited to offer any positive advice; and 2) I'm a moron in general.

But with those two caveats, I'll just say that I hope things get better for you and that your amazing support network continues their amazing work.

In the meantime, iirc, you have a bidet. That always makes things better. I ate some of those new cinnamon Cheerios the other day and had the runs for the next 8 hours or so. It sucked, but the bidet made it a little better.

So if you ever need to make your bad **** a little better, just use the bidet.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's beautiful man. I'm sorry for the situation you are going through. Life can definitely be a b****. There is a lot to be said for that many people having your back, some don't have anyone, so you are at least covered from that end. I'm not sure what else to say man, but lots of love and hope to meet you some day at a game and have a drink of water since you aren't drinking beer. Sending my positive vibes your way.

Reeko, Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.