1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Commercial Insurance Rates skyrocketing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pasox2, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coming up for renewal on my commercial insurance package and the rates for windstorm are crazy. They also want to raise the amount of insurance required for replacement cost, as the cost of building has gone up, so it's like a double increase.

I fail to see how our risk for major wind losses on the Texas coast has increased from last year because New Orleans flooded.

What is the point of having a private insurance system? Seems like the taxpayers always end up picking up the tab on big losses, anyway. Why not just have at least a state-funded default insurance pool - like Texas Mutual in Worker's Comp. People and businesses should be able to buy a minimally adequate coverage. Seems like the state dept of insurance is just pushed around by the major carriers. The best form of persuasion would be direct competition - it would certainly set a baseline, which is sorely needed.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, insurance companies are pretty much the most evil companies imaginable.

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

ask codell for some help.

or you can call Geico since I just saved a bunch of money on my insurance.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It's a racket. A business that you are required to buy from by law...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Thank you, tort reform!!!!