1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coming around to Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 25, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This breakdown of his own game, his analysis that he's imperfect, I'm coming around to the idea that he might be our guy. His brain has me thinking about who he might be:

I've been a Mobley fan because of his defense, but this man's brain has me wondering if I'm a fool. I really think I might be. Jalen Green is smart! I'm shocked that he's not a better passer, but this video breakdown makes him look like Kobe. He instantly reacts to video of himself and says he could do better. That's not normal.

While I'm a Mobley fan who believes in our defense being transformed by him being a Houston Rocket, I would not be upset by Jalen Green's ability to transform our offense. My real question about Jalen Green is his commitment to defense.

DeBeards, burlesk, vator and 50 others like this.
  2. Rockets4Life13

Told ya, this guy has a different mindset than Mobley. Mobley is still intriguing tho and I‘ll just wait for Stone to do the right thing. I’m sure interviews with either of them will help him to make the right call

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Jalen Green is the pick. It's simple really.

4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yeah I listened to the whole thing and he was very quick to point out things he could do better or his mistakes in general. Definitely isn’t afraid of criticism and is always looking to get better. Admitted he feels pressure, but just learns to deal with it. Honestly this is a great watch for anyone and sold me on the kid big time because you can’t make up these types of responses. He’s going to keep working on his game because he wants to be great and he’s never satisfied. You can’t teach that mindset.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I've been talking down on the kid, not because I dislike his game but only because he's a huge question mark and the rawest of the Top 4 (Cunningham/Suggs/Mobley/Green) and I prefer them in that order. I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if we picked him and I do think he could be a star, just not my favorite.

sydmill, saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This post pretty much describes where I am at as well. I want Mobley because I think he can be a generational big man, and an elite anchor on defense from day 1, but Green intrigues me. I'm definitely cool with the Rockets at least kicking the tires on him. His offensive talent is ridiculous.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Is there not 1,000 threads on who to pick already. WTF :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don Won says so thou... :confused:

SuperKev, groovemachine and roslolian like this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well we know for sure Mobley is an awful interview, at least on video. Very scripted answers. Slow to respond. Maybe he's more laid back with no cameras on?
    Cade was the best interview and natural born alpha leader, but Jalen shows intelligence, and a calm demeanor-albiet with a boyish-shy like quality. Watch his YouTube movie and you see more of Greens personality shine through. Fun and enjoys the moment. I had hoped for more of the Mamba mentality, but thats a lot to ask for and it looks like Cade is more Mamba mentality than Jalen, but thats why the goats are goats-attributes all in 1 package that some guys only have a few of.

I should say that Phil said it took Kobe a long time to become a leader of men while Michael was natural from the jump. So Jalen can obviously develop into a great leader one day. I suppose I mean more of the killer instinct part of the Mamba mentality that MJ also possessed. Jalen seems too nice. I want some ******* cockiness like Booker/Trae have.

-last note- watching Beverly hound Booker last night had me thinking of Greens size and how he can be stopped by smaller pests. Really puts into perspective how special that MJ/Kobe build is at 6'6 with nearly 7ft wingspan and then adding a killer mid range and post up game. They're too big and skilled for smaller defenders and too quick and strong enough for bigger. That in between positions size like LeBron who also is just too big/strong/fast for normal 3s and too quick and strong enough for bigger 3s/4s.
    I can envision Greens size being a problem, BUT he has elite first step and elite mid air body contortions that will help early in his career. My hope is for him to get better at the 1 the way Booker has played the 1 at times through his early career. Booker is not even half the athlete Green is.. Green with more mass can be too big and fast for smaller 1s, too fast for bigger 2s. Green needs to call up Tim Grover.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Watched the interview. I fear Green is not a leader, alpha dog type of guy. Great basketball player, but I have deep concerns that he'll never be a strong #1 on a championship team (our goal). Does he have a killer instinct and a competitive fire to dominate? Upon hearing that interview, I have my doubts.

Keep in mind, if we draft Jalen Suggs and we get Chauncy Billups-level play, then we are in good shape. If we draft Jalen Green, and we get Gerald Green-level play, then we are set back for years. You cannot miss with this pick -- and there are MANY #2 picks that bust. Green has star potential, yes, but he also has bust potential, due to needing to develop his handle, defense, strength, leadership.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mobley has 4.0 GPA he aint exactly a dull blade.

Some guys are great talkers and extremely expressive Richard Jefferson is a lot more charismatic than Kawhi but it doesnt mean Kawhi is the worse player. At the end of the day we are asking them to hoop and not talk on camera and answer interviews. Lots of guys can give deep insights and say all the right stuff in draft day interviews but then they dont put in the work in the offseason. I see it as a nice to have but not indicative of anything.

Have you seen Royce White interviews? Dude even had an ESPN feature devoted exclusively to him.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He’s size just scares me I really believe he’s more 6’3 then 6’5 and even 6’5 is shorter then I would like.

Also very raw and seems like he’s just all athleticism and not really so much skill.

It scares the hell out of me to draft him then he happens to tear an ACL and all of a sudden his quickness and athleticism and explosiveness is gone what would he have left.

That’s why I’m not a fan of just pure athletic players like Rose and Westbrook or whatever and more of a fan of just pure skilled players like Harden and Luka or pure shooters like Curry or Klay.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I personally think Mobley and Green are too close to call, so the only factor that should matter is who has the greater motor and drive to become a better basketball player.

This was something Harden talked about in an interview before, that some guys just don't like basketball and play it because they have the height or the athleticism. Doesn't matter how talented either of these guys are, if they don't have the drive to improve they'll never be the type of player that we need.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Defense, strength, and leadership are intangibles. Green is raw, but I think he will demand to take the potential winning shot down the stretch. I think he will make more mistakes than the more mature Suggs, but he can outshine him in 2-3 years, and become a bigger star. Green is young, he wants to get better. He needs a good coach/ motivator. I think KPJ will pass the ball willingly to him. It took years for Gerald Green to become a good shooter. That won't be the case with Jalen Green.

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

One last last note related to coming around to Green.
    Green has been my #2 pick. I was more than a little hurt we didn't land #1, but had to just let out a sigh of relief that we kept it and got 2nd rather than 3 or 4.
    Cade is a grown ass man and would have been our alpha leader from day 1 that this team absolutely lacks. 6'8 7ft wingspan. Point forward.

Where I'm coming around? After years of admittedly boring James Harden style of game and so many current NBA stars being kinda boring and similar players. Cade is going to be awesome, but...hes not exciting. Theres a lot of guys who play like him at different tiers/levels of play.

I'm ready for Green putting on a show. I envied those LA crowds with young Kobe and Chicago crowds with Mj and then DRose and Miami with young DWade and even Orlando with that prime TMac. Im not just talking Steve Francis-exciting all star level flawed player- but super exciting box office superstar talent. Green has that ability in him. All eyes on our team and city for Jalen Green. No more media bias and hate the way Harden brought us. Green would make us a beloved league pass favorite and tons of POSITIVE national exposure.

*BBS WARNING*
    Prepare for filipino invasion. Dope people and culture, but its about to get YaoMingMania like Chinese invasion because Filipinos completely obsess over their stars.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

What do you mean you can't make up these types of responses????

You realizs people can lie on camera right? They can window dress and sell you on hopes and dreams? Here Royce White saying flying is not an issue, he flew everywhere all he needs is a chance, he will put in the work and has the desire to be great blah blah blah:

I'm not saying Green is gonna be a scammer like Royce White but its dumb to decide he has that Mamba Mentality just cuz he said so in the interview. During Ignite games Green showed no desire to defend his opponents and didnt go to the line enough, not exactly hard core mamba mentality. Maybe he will indeed have true mamba mentality but its his body of work that will prove that and not the stuff he says in interviews cuz frankly their agents prepare their responses for them.

jiggyfly, saleem and D-rock like this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

But Mobley already has big questions on his desire for the game of basketball. The same questions about Ben Simmons checking out and going through the motions and look at him now. Mobley can also be a top defensive player, but ultimately a liability on offense that never improves his flaws and checks out mentally.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't mind our pick taking time to develop, we will still need those mid lottery picks to land this year and we'll need more top prospects from next year. Most of Atlantas rebuild and core came from b2b drafts, although Trae came out the gates a star in the making. On the other side, Booker came out hot too, but they blew some picks and needed that #1 to get Ayton. Holmgren or Banchero or other elite prospect next year and that core could contend right away with some west teams aging, but expect lottery again next year no matter who we draft #2 and our other 2 1st rounders.

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jalen Green is born with a Killer Instinct

High School Highlight, might be around 16 years old

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A lot of reasons to be concerned about Green... but this doesn't make sense to me.

Kid has been extremely highly recruited for years. He's been on under 18 or whatever Olympic squads, AAU teams, and the g league.

They're all lying about his height??

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m a Mobley guy, but it’s hard to deny Green’s appeal. He’s got a great first step, crazy athleticism, and a strong desire to be great. He would fit like a glove next to KPJ. I’m certainly not complaining if he’s the pick.