1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast is bleeding me dry...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by azoghbi, Sep 5, 2011.

1. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Hey guys, just curious to see if I am getting hosed by Comcast compared to other Houstonians... Here is what I've got and Comcast is telling me in no way can I reduce the price. I refuse to believe those bastards...

Digital Preferred/Performance Internet (both of these are middle tier) 79.99
    HBO 8.99 for 6 months
    Showtime Free for 6 months
    HD/DVR Box 1 15.95
    HD/DVR Box 2 19.95
    Cable Modem Lease Fee 7.00
    Total Taxes, surchages, and fees 16.43 for a grand total of:

148.50!

This just seems like a ton of money to me, I understand that I have a lot of services but it's so painful to give money to the beast that is Comcast. How does this compare to your rates with Comcast and is this as good of a deal as they claim?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why don't we just have a sticky thread in the Hangout for Comcast complaints?

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm getting cable + internet for 168.

4. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

I honestly felt bad posting this, but I checked back a couple of pages and it had been a couple of days since a Comcast thread reared its ugly head... Unfortunately, this is the Hangout and as Clutch says, anything goes here, and I was legitimately curious to see if I need to switch services.

RedRedemption, do you have similar services to me or more/less?

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't know if Comcast cracked down on this, but one time when I had Comcast contractors to turn on the internet, I gave them some side money to also turn on the cable, granted it was just basic cable but free is free.

6. what

what Member

Just take the plunge and ditch your cable television. It is a monster.

With streaming tv, you aren't going to get everything you want, but you will save about 85 bucks a month in fees.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What's preventing time Warner and msg and cablevision and cox from being in the same market?

We all lose in the end. All those companies are in cahoots with each other. Some cable company needs to jump in a market and invade it and offer better prices only to have the original company in that market jump in and try and power their prices.

8. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Ultimately, this is completely the right thing to do. I do have Netflix and with the combination of this plus *ahem* the internet you can easily watch anything you want. The main issues are Rockets games and sports games in general, things like ESPN, and then having a girlfriend... So many shows on channels like Bravo etc are just not as conducive to torrenting or streaming services. Such is life....

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Seems funny to me you're getting charged more for the 2nd DVR.

I pay about $160 though to Uverse with one less DVR but the rest of what you have.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I ditched cable about a year ago, and the only reason i ever miss it is for sports. I just work around it.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Work the introductory pricing like people do on credit cards. If ATT has a low price for signing up for 6 months, then take that and be ready to look Comcast or Direct TV's introductory price when it runs out. These companies are cutthroat to take a bigger share of the same pie, so make that to your advantage.

I just went to Uverse for my TV and it is about $50 less than my Comcast price.The only station I'm short is Palladia.I screwed myself some though because I am so locked in to my Comcast email ID.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Problem is almost all of them usually require a 2+ year obligation after the introductory deal. I cut off my cable more than 2 years but I don't want to be tied down again but boy do I miss just channel surfing and finding a random documentary on Nat Geo or Sportscenter for highlights, etc. instead of having to stream/download only particular shows on the internet. I've never had HD/DVR before and it seems so foreign to me, how it's just an everyday thing for kids now like VCRs were back then. I'm behind I guess.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ugh Comcast!

I've had it for two weeks and I've had more cable outages and internet outages in two weeks than I had over the past 10 years.
    I hate everyone single one of you that has Fios or U-verse. :mad:

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I am pretty sure you can get a modem for $40 to avoid the lease fee. It pays itself off in 6 months. I would definitely call them up and ask them which DVR boxes are compatible with them. Look into that and save yourself $36 per month.

If all goes well you can avoid $43 in lease fees.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well... I get cable and internet with one HD box and one HDDVR box for 118 after taxes and fees. Seems like you're paying a little more for those HD boxes than I am. If I had to pay 20 bucks for an HDDVR I'd just go to Tivo which I'd rather have.

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

When I was living in the woodlands I had internet and HD DVR cable through Comcast (no movie channels though) I was paying about $65-70 a month.....

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Obligatory "I don't have cable because I'm better than you" post.

(Seriously, what a waste of money)

18. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I believe you can get rid of that $7 surcharge for modem if you just buy your own. The exact ones they give you are going for around $30.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Cut cable, and just replace it with Netflix, NBA LP, and hulu if you like.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Comcast sucks. Just need to make sure I said that.

Paying $75/month for Blast Speed and expanded basic cable.