1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Student Sues Over Mistaken Drug Bust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MR. MEOWGI, Dec 29, 2005.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The war on drugs is pure evil.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051229...sa61E.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

When college freshman Janet Lee packed her bags for a Christmas trip home two years ago, her luggage contained three condoms filled with flour — devices that she and some friends made as a joke.

Philadelphia International Airport screeners found the condoms, and their initial tests showed they contained drugs. The Bryn Mawr College student was arrested on drug trafficking charges and jailed. Three weeks later, she was released after a lab test backed her story, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Thursday.

Lee filed a federal lawsuit last week against city police, seeking damages for pain and suffering, financial loss, and emotional distress. She was arrested on Dec. 21, 2003, and was held on $500,000 bail and faced up to 20 years in prison had she been convicted of the drug charges.

"I haven't let myself be angry about what happened, because it would tear me apart," Lee said. "I'm not sure I can bear to face it. I'm amazed at how naive I was."

Airport screeners found the condoms filled with white powder in Lee's checked luggage shortly before she was to board a plane to Los Angeles to visit her family. She said she told city police they were filled with flour. She said she made them as a joke and would squeeze them to relieve stress.

Police told her a field test showed that the powder contained opium and cocaine, according to the Inquirer. A lab test later proved the substance was flour — and prosecutors dropped the charges, the newspaper reported.

Lee's lawyers, former prosecutors David Oh and Jeremy Ibrahim, say that either the field test was faulty or someone fixed the results.

Ibrahim said lawsuit was filed near the end of the two-year statute of limitations because Lee, now a junior, was emotionally devastated.

"She lost significant face with this event," Ibrahim said.

Police department spokesman Capt. Benjamin Naish and district attorney's office spokeswoman Cathie Abookire declined to comment.

2. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

It scares me that our airport screeners--our first line of defense against terrorists--cannot tell the difference between opium and flour. :eek:

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What sort of joke was she making? That it'd be funny if airport screeners found it and that it was coke? She may have a case, but not my sympathy. She's wasting their time and making their jobs harder.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Customs officers have no sense of humour.

Flour filled condoms. Can't everyone see how funny that would be going through customs???? Guess she was lucky she didn't go with the fake bombs and toy assault rifles.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Emotionally devasted? Lost Face?

Dumbass is more like it.

5. MR. MEOWGI

"She said she made them as a joke and would squeeze them to relieve stress."

She wasn't trying to joke the screeners, she just thought it was funny thing to do. So she was thrown in jail.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Pretty well the dumbest 'funny' thing one could do. Relieve stress??? Did the lawyers keep a straight face when they said this?

Three weeks in jail seems a bit much...but i'm finding it very had to dredge up any sympathy for her here.

I bet there's a big pause between 'you did WHAT????' and any comprehension of the rest of her story.

7. MR. MEOWGI

Is she a dumbass because she isn't knowledgeable about drug smuggling techniques? Are you supposed to know them?

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You're right. It was an honest mistake.

Could have happened to anyone.

;)

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

b**** should be charged for being stupid and wasting lots of time and money.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think the "joke" part gave it away. What was she pretending the condoms to be filled with? She knew what she was doing and needs another 3 weeks in jail for pure stupidity.

11. JuanValdez

Even if she wasn't thinking it'd be a funny joke to pull on airport screeners, she'd have to be a complete moron not to know that the screeners would take especial interest in it if they were to detect it. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are jerks instead of idiots. Either way, I don't see how a person can take a suit to court admitting you're one or the other and not be completely ashamed. It could well be the police tinkered with the test so they could give her a hard time; she might have a case there. Even so, she brought this trouble on herself, either through her lack of consideration for others or her own idiocy. Maybe she should think twice next time.

12. MR. MEOWGI

Think twice about what? Thinking it's funny to put flour in condoms? She wasn't trying to fool anyone.

13. JuanValdez

1. You don't know she wasn't trying to fool anyone. It would seem to me that evidence suggests she was trying to fool someone (anyone's guess as to whether it would be a screener, a friend, a parent, or what).
    2. Putting flour in condoms isn't funny by itself. Its juvenile humor is only unleashed when seen by someone else (anyone's guess as to whether it should be a screener, a friend, a parent, or what).
    3. Thinking twice: I thought I was succinct and clear enough in my last explanation to not have to go over it again.
    4. I don't want to make it personal or anything, but I have to wonder if you're feelings about drug enforcement policy is causing you to feign ignorance regarding the likely motives of the girl in putting the flour in condoms in the first place. Maybe not. I hope we're all being honest with ourselves and one another.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"She said she made them as a joke and would squeeze them to relieve stress."

Yea...right. We know what she was really using them for. Do I have to say it?

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

In the girls defense....three weeks behind bars while they figure out the difference between narcotics and flour doesn't sit right.

Overnight in the slammer and a hefty fine would have been appropriate.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have a hard time being sympathetic also. this is truly a 9-11 changeD everything moment. you shouldn't being doing jokes like that.

#16 pgabriel, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

She maybe stupid or over the line with joke. But that doesn't wash away the simple question, how come she was told that the TEST RESULT shows those condoms containing opium and cocaine? I don't believe in one second, any scientific test could mistake flour with opium AND cocaine. What does that mean? It means those officials charged her without any test result. Are you guys still being busy at pointing out how stupid she was?

Well, I would be more worried that authorities charge people without ANY evidence. Adding that spying on people without warrants, I will be very worried about that kind of "protection".

18. JuanValdez

bnb and real_egal, I agree with you. There's something suspicious about the test results. Either the police lied about it to teach her a lesson (which isn't acceptable), the test is unreliable (not acceptable), or she was the victim of a rare, fluky honest mistake (which I might grudgingly accept, but what are the chances of that?). As I've said, she may have a case here. At the same time, I object to what I perceive to have been her attitude about it. Perhaps I find that subject more interesting since the court can address whether the police acted appropriately, but won't be answering the question as to whether she was a jerk or an idiot. ;)

19. MR. MEOWGI

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13504147.htm

Flour in condoms sent her to jailA college student spent 3 weeks in jail after a field test said she was carrying drugs. She filed a lawsuit.By John ShiffmanInquirer Staff WriterShe was a freshman on an academic scholarship at Bryn Mawr College, preparing to fly home to California for Christmas, sleep-deprived, with questions from a calculus exam still racing through her head.
    In the space of a few hours on Dec. 21, 2003, Janet Lee landed in a Philadelphia jail cell, where she would remain for three weeks, held on $500,000 bail and facing 20 years in prison on drug charges.
    All over flour found in her luggage.
    "I haven't let myself be angry about what happened, because it would tear me apart," Lee said. "I'm not sure I can bear to face it... . I'm amazed at how naive I was."
    That naivete, she said, began when screeners at Philadelphia International Airport inspecting her checked luggage found three condoms filled with white powder. Lee laughed and told city police they were filled with flour. It was just part of a phallic gag at a women's college, she told them, a stress-reliever, something to squeeze while studying for exams.
    The police didn't find it funny. They told her a field test showed that the powder contained opium and cocaine.
    A lab test later proved the substance was flour - and no one now disputes that Lee is innocent, including the prosecutor.
    But the case returned to the courts last week as Lee filed a federal civil-rights lawsuit against city police. The lawsuit seeks damages for pain and suffering, financial loss, and emotional distress.
    Capt. Benjamin Naish, a spokesman for the Police Department, declined to comment, noting that the department rarely comments on litigation. Cathie Abookire, a spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office, also declined to comment.
    Lee's lawsuit seeks to answer a central question: Why did the police field test initially conclude that the white powder contained drugs?
    Her lawyers, former prosecutors David Oh and Jeremy Ibrahim, say there are two possibilities: Either the field test was faulty or someone fixed the results.
    Ellen Green-Ceisler, who directed the Police Department's Office of Integrity and Accountability from 1997 to 2005, called Lee's case highly unusual. Field tests are rarely wrong.
    'Almost never happens'
    "I've looked at thousands of these cases, and in the context of trained narcotics officers, it almost never happens," she said. "The whole issue will come down to the field test. Was the officer trained? Was the test contaminated?"
    Ibrahim said he waited to file the lawsuit until last week, on the eve of the end of the two-year statute of limitations, because Lee needed time to process what happened.
    "She was devastated emotionally," Ibrahim said, noting that the event became a minor scandal among her Korean American family and friends. "She lost significant face with this event."
    Many records in the case are still confidential, not yet accessible even to Lee's lawyers. What is undisputed is that she was detained at the airport shortly before she was to board a plane to Los Angeles. Court records confirm her arrest and three-week detention on drug charges. Records also confirm why prosecutors dropped the charges.
    Lee, who is now a junior comparative-literature major at Bryn Mawr, gave the following account in an interview this week.
    Just before she was to board the plane, someone called her name on the public-address system, and she reported to the ticket counter.
    An officer told her that she had something in her luggage that shouldn't be there.
    "I was like, 'Is it my curling iron? Because it's metal?' He was like, 'No, something else.' "
    The officer asked about the white powder in the condoms.

They were filled with flour, she said, and were silly stress-relief contraptions that she had made with classmates as part of a freshman rite of passage in her Main Line dorm.
    'It's a girl thing'
    "I tried to explain that it was a joke, a gag gift for friends. It's a girl thing. I said, 'You squeeze them to reduce stress.' "
    Police stared skeptically. They took her to the Southwest Detective Division, where they tested the powder. Lee figured it would be sorted out soon.
    "Mostly, I was worried because I had missed my flight, and now I had to make up an excuse to tell my parents."
    When the detective returned, he said the powder tested positive for opium. Police returned her to her cell. "I started hyperventilating," Lee recalled. "The detective was very nice, and said he would test again."
    The result was the same.
    She said that someone came by her cell and read her an arrest warrant, which mentioned amphetamines. Then police fingerprinted and photographed her. She called her father but couldn't quite express herself through her tears and panic.
    "A detective gave me a hug because I was crying so hard," she said.
    Police put her into a van for the trip to court. She said she overheard talk about "a kilo."
    "Up to that point, I still thought it was a joke, that someone was trying to teach me a lesson," she said. "I was telling everyone my story, and no one believed me - except the people locked up inside with me."
    Because the amount of powder was so large, Lee faced 20 years in prison. A judge set bail at $500,000. He also mentioned something about cocaine.
    "That's when it sunk in that they were serious," she said. "I said, 'I didn't do it. It's flour.' No one listened."
    At that point, having just finished her finals, she had been up for four straight days, she said. "I'm the kind of person who can sleep anywhere or eat anything, but I stopped eating and sleeping," she said.
    Later, she hit a bit of luck. A prison guard recognized her from a Bryn Mawr volunteer job at Overbrook High School and took pity on her. The guard told Lee that she believed her and that the whole thing was probably racial. The guard got her a trashy romance novel to help kill time.
    Lee acted tough to protect herself. She did modern-dance moves to keep limber. Inmates saw this and gossiped: "Everyone thought I knew karate because I'm Asian." She certainly didn't discourage the stereotype.
    Inmates saw the high volume of visitors and figured she was important. Again, she did not discourage the notion. She did not tell her cell mates that the visitors were actually volunteers from Catholic churches in Philadelphia who had taken up her cause.
    The volunteers helped her hire Oh.
    "I believed her story because things just didn't add up," Oh said. For one thing, Oh said, the field tests were odd because they detected the presence of not one drug but three.
    "People don't mix drugs like that," Oh said.
    First, Oh contacted Bryn Mawr and confirmed that Lee's dorm mates had, in fact, made the condoms together during a pre-exam session they call a "hall tea."
    Then, Oh said, he called Assistant District Attorney Charles Ehrlich, who agreed to expedite laboratory tests. Ehrlich also agreed to help seek reduced bail, Oh said. A day after the new test came back and confirmed that the substance was flour, Lee was released.
    She flew home first class.

20. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Sounds like contamination to me.