1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mduke, Aug 30, 2002.

1. mduke

mduke Member

I'm so happy......The best sport other than the NBA is
    HERE!:D Any thoughts, predicted scores, etc. on the
    upcoming season? Especially the Big 12.......

I'll start out with some:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <table><tr><td>who gives a rats ***, OU can't do a damn thing right</td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td>UT 48</td><td>N. Texas 6</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>OU 21</td><td>Alabama 7</td><td></td></tr>><tr><td>OU 17</td><td>Texas 14</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>ISU 21</td><td>Nebraska 18</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Miami 34</td><td>Florida 28</td><td></td></tr>><tr><td>Miami 45</td><td>FSU 21 </td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Va Tech 24</td><td>Miami 21</td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td></td><td></td></tr></table>

Big 12 Championship: OU over Kansas State, 14- 10
    Fiesta Bowl: OU 21 Tenn. 14

Final Records:
    OU: 12-1
    UT: 12-1
    MIA: 11-2
    TENN: 11-2

#1 mduke, Aug 30, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2002
  2. drapg

drapg Member

should i assume the one TX loss is in the Red River Shootout?

who's OU's loss to? OSU again?

3. mduke

mduke Member

haha. You are correct on the 1st......I'm guessing if OU lost and it wasn't to Texas, it's probably Texas A&M.....I bet also if both teams only lose once, there's a chance they meet in the Fiesta Bowl....

#3 mduke, Aug 30, 2002
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I predict the Aggies will go 9-3.

They'll blow one game to a team they should beat, because they're the Aggies (I'm looking at you Pittsburgh).

They'll win two of the three real tough home games they play (Va Tech, OU, NEB). I think it will be VaTech and NEB who they upset.

And they'll lose to Texas.

The Texas Tech game could make it 8-4...who knows.

Sat, Aug 31 UL Lafayette
    Sat, Sep 7 at Pittsburgh
    Sat, Sep 21 Virginia Tech
    Sat, Sep 28 Louisiana Tech
    Sat, Oct 5 Texas Tech
    Sat, Oct 12 at Baylor
    Sat, Oct 19 at Kansas
    Sat, Oct 26 Nebraska
    Sat, Nov 2 at Oklahoma St
    Sat, Nov 9 Oklahoma
    Sat, Nov 16 Missouri
    Fri, Nov 29 at Texas

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Is the Aggie game on TV tomorrow night?

6. drapg

drapg Member

Saturday 8/31
    11:00 AM
    ABC Ch 3 Washington vs Michigan
    ESPN Ch 52 / 410 Central Florida vs Penn St.
    Fox Sports Atlantic Ch 431 Connecticut vs Boston College

11:30 AM
    Fox Sports SW / Fox Sports Central Ch 54 / 430 / 432 Kansas vs Iowa St.

12:00 PM
    ESPN2 Ch 53 / 411 Colorado vs Colorado St

2:30 PM
    ABC Ch 3 Illinois vs Missouri

4:30 PM
    ESPN2 Ch 53 / 411 Tennessee vs Wyoming

5:00 PM
    Fox Sports SW / Fox Sports Pacific Ch 54 / 430 / 433 MIssissippi St vs Oregon

6:45 PM
    ESPN Ch 52 / 410 Clemson vs Georgia

7:00 PM
    ABC Ch 3 Maryland vs Notre Dame

7:45 PM
    ESPN2 Ch 53 / 411 Wisconsin vs UNLV

9:00 PM
    Fox Sports Pacific Ch 433 Northern Arizona vs Arizona

11:00 PM
    Fox Sports Central Ch 432 Eastern Illinois vs Hawaii

<b>Sunday night (Mon. morning) 2am-5am is a recast of the UT/UNT game on Fox Sports!</b>

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

UCF 24, Penn State 21 - there's an upset for tomorrow

Tulsa 14, OU 3 - one can hope, eh?

And now for the games that matter...

FSU 41, Virginia 24
    FSU 35, Maryland 28
    FSU 54, Duke 13
    FSU 28, Louisville 17
    FSU 31, Clemson 14
    FSU 35, Miami 31
    FSU 24, Notre Dame 10
    FSU 45, Wake Forest 21
    FSU 42, Georgia Tech 20
    FSU 52, UNC 7
    FSU 21, NC State 18
    FSU 35, UF 24

;) :D

8. drapg

drapg Member

unfortunately, it looks like this one ain't happenin'... seein' as how OU is about to score... man and my hopes have been up this entire 1st half!!! if only that 3rd down catch wasn't counted! :mad:

EDIT: INTERCEPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN I SPOKE TO SOON!!!!!!!

#8 drapg, Aug 30, 2002
  9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LMAO @ duke and mfclark

Do both of you really think that Miami will lose in the Orange Bowl to VA Tech (Duke) and FSU (mfclark)??

At least mfclark has an excuse, he is a FSU fan, so I would expect him to think that. But damn, duke, you should know better to think that VA Tech is going to beat Miami in the Orange Bowl. That might have happened with Butch Davis in charge, but things are different now.

So, duke, who else is Miami going to lose to??? Tennessee?? Or their bowl game??

For the record, I think Miami will win all of their home games including FSU and VA Tech, but they will lose at least one game on the road maybe two in Tennessee and Florida. Their schedule is just too tough to repeat.:(

10. mduke

mduke Member

They will not necessarily lose to VaTech.......I do think they will lose at least 1 of those....(Tenn, VaTech, UF).........

BTW, my OU prediction is now 10 to ******* 7:mad:

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

Not only am I a FSU fan, I'm also a student! :)

I don't think FSU's shown all that they have to offer this season, and I don't think Miami will be as good as last season. FSU didn't play that badly here in Tallahassee against Miami last year, and this year's team is well ahead of where last year's team finished, Iowa State performance not withstanding.

Of course, things may change between now and then - the game is a month and a half to two months away, as I recall - but for now, I think FSU has a legit shot at running the table. Next week will tell a lot, though - UM @ UF and FSU @ Maryland.

12. Manny Ramirez

I don't know mfclark. I mean I know that the Noles have the talent, but I think they have lost their edge.

I have been following Miami for like 20 years now, and FSU has always had my respect. But it wasn't really until 1987 that FSU was a perennial NC contender. But before then, they were always a solid team to win 8 or 9 games a season. Starting in '87, Bowden took that program to the next level. Now, I don't think FSU is going to revert back to those teams pre-87, but I have to say that I was shocked to see them struggle with Iowa State.

Yea, I know ISU is decent and Seneca Wallace is the best QB that no one has heard of, but for a program that has been a NC contender for every season (except last) for the last 15 years to struggle with a team that will win probably 7 games is not the best way to make people think that you were over last season.

They just didn't look like those old dominating FSU teams from the last 15 years. If they had won like 38-14 or 38-21, then yea, I may have agreed with you, but I think the mystique is gone. They should still win the ACC, but beating Miami (in the Orange Bowl) and Florida will be extremely difficult unless they significantly improve in some key areas, mainly their defense.

13. drapg

drapg Member

the dream is dead fellow texas exs...

lets the onslaught commence! :(

14. drapg

drapg Member

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well, you do have to remember that it was the first game of the year and FSU was missing a starter (Jeff Womble) due to suspension. Two drives ended after dropped passes to Talmon Gardner, both of a considerable distance that likely would've led to touchdowns had he simply caught them. Iowa State caught up to FSU, yes, but the score shouldn'tve been quite as close.

Every team has a hiccup game - and I imagine this will be FSU's hiccup game of the season. Miami had trouble with a Scruggs-less Va Tech at the end of last year and an inexperienced FSU team gave them trouble last year. The losses of Shockey and Portis has to account for something, though I know the Hurricanes have reloaded to a degree.

I agree that the mystique may be gone - but how many teams truly have that mystique? Not many teams, except for perhaps Notre Dame in South Bend, can say they have a mystique like FSU has had since the late 80s - and even that has significantly eroded. With time, FSU will regain that mystique, especially if they romp through the ACC like they can (and possibly should).

The defense needs to improve; it was inexperienced and subpar last year, though it improved as time went along. With more experience and depth this season, it'll probably be a couple of games before things start to click for the Seminoles...Mickey Andrews has always found a way to get the most out of his defensive players and I can't see any reason why that won't continue this season.

But, realistically, next season will be FSU's year to seriously contend, as there still aren't many seniors on the squad. This year is a statement year, and anything less than a top 5 finish would be disappointing, but next year is when the national title comes seriously into view.

Oh yeah, and Oklahoma sucks. 24-0 in the 4th quarter :(

16. Manny Ramirez

FSU was battling for Miami last season for a half , but in the 2nd half, the Canes just blew them away. Remember the final score, 49-27?? Doesn't sound like that they struggled too much with FSU. It seems like they had a field goal blocked in the 2nd half or something or they would have had over 50 points. And let's face it, you just don't go into Tallahassee and drop 49 points on a Bobby Bowden team. To me that showed right there, how dominant Miami was last season.

But I agree with you on about everything else you said.

Miami should be interesting next season. Dorsey is gone and probably Andre Johnson, but Willis McGahee and Frank Gore (who may be out for this season) will be an awesome 1-2 running back punch. The big key will be how well Brock Berlin, the Florida transfer, plays at QB.

But let's don't start looking at next season, let's look at this season.;)

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

The score wouldn't represent it, but other than Virginia Tech (and perhaps Nebraska), FSU may well have been Miami's biggest challenge last season. It does say a lot about Miami and how good they were, yes; I'm just not convinced they'll be as dominant this year.

But hey, the 'Canes play the other Tallahassee team tomorrow in Florida A&M...and Fl. A&M actually leads the series vs. Miami, as if that really means anything. Anything less than a blowout should be a disappointment, as it really should be with FSU vs. Virginia.

Berlin should do just fine - personally, I've always thought that he has more talent than Rex Grossman, though he lacked the right system and right opportunity to prove it. Miami should be a better fit for him and with two years of eligibility left, he'll prove he's a stud next year.

FSU has a good RB core as well, with Greg Jones entering his senior year next year (assuming he doesn't jump to the NFL) and highly touted Lorenzo Booker entering his freshman season after this year's likely redshirt. WR is a point of concern, as both Anquan Boldin and Robert Morgan are seniors, but last year's group of WR should be able to fill in.

But like you said...let's see how this year plays out. Right now, Tulsa isn't playing out too well at 31-0. :(

18. Manny Ramirez

mfclark,

You really think that FSU was more of a challenge than Boston College??:confused:

Oh by the way, you might enjoy this website:

19. mduke

mduke Member

Oh yeah, and FSU sucks. They only beat a bottom tier team in the Big 12 by a touchdown:rolleyes:

20. mfclark

mfclark Member

I overlooked Boston College. I knew Miami had a tough game somewhere in the schedule, but thought it was Pitt (which I looked up and, of course, turned out not to be the case...so I went with what I had).

And I enjoy that site, but not that part of it. I like the seasonal standings two years below that. :)

It was a figure of speech. I don't like Oklahoma because a) they beat FSU in the 2000 title game and b) I know someone who goes to Oklahoma and it's a rivalry between FSU and OU in that manner.

Iowa State's not that bad anyway, and the Big 12 is the deepest conference in football - after all, you are the one who said they'd trip up Nebraska! Plus, for awhile, you have to admit that OU looked pretty bad against a pretty weak Tulsa squad.