1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mduke, Oct 22, 2002.

1. mduke

mduke Member

Found this on collegefootballnews.....

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2002/Columnists/CFN_Championship_Series.htm

Forget the silly BCS, the polls and the bowl games, we once again present our solution ... the Collegefootballnews.com Championship Series. Why is the NCAA basketball tournament so popular? It's because the little guy has a shot to show what it can do against the big boys.

Our idea is to take the eleven conference winners and five at large teams and put them in a playoff to settle this thing on the field. Do the BCS formula and take the conference champions out, then just go down the list and take the next five eligible teams. We seed them ourselves regardless of the BCS to create the best matchups and to try and avoid repeats pf previous games as those would devalue the regular season. There's a simple philosophy to the at-larges: If you can't win your conference, you have no beef if you're not one of the at-large teams. The big conference games would still be meaningful as you must win your league to be assured a spot in the dance. One semifinal would be in the Sugar while the other would be in the Orange Bowl. The national championship would be in the Rose Bowl every year.

We'll change this each week with our projected conference winners and we'll reseed accordingly

There's a bracket on that link....

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Why the hell does the Sun Belt have a spot? There's not a chance in hell that they beat any of the other teams in the bracket.

They don't need a huge bracket. All that's needed is that the top-4 teams in the country play a series. Right now it would be: Miami-Ohio State and Oklahoma-Va. Tech.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

A playoff system would ruin college football.

There would be a little bit of luster lost on the big matchups, like OU-TX, knowing that it's meaningless in October.

College football is so great, because the regular season is essentially, a 15 week playoff system. Lose 1 game, and you are most likely out.

Like it or not, controversy is what makes college football so damn good.

4. mduke

mduke Member

I think they should use the BCS, take the top 8 teams in that, and have playoffs from there, using bowls....what's wrong with that? You still have to compete in the regular season to make the top 8.....

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

As much as I would like to see a playoff, the "good ole boys" aka the commissioners of these conferences will never allow it to happen.

Gotta get as much as money as possible from GalleryFurniture Bowl, Insight.com Bowl, www.kissmyass.com Bowl, and [insert name] Bowl.

6. Manny Ramirez

LOL!

There really is a website for the kissmyass thing!

Incredible...I swear that I didn't know!

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yes. A 16 game playoff, imo.

OU/UT would still be meaningful in terms of seedings and whether or not you get in. To me, a team like UT would get a second chance and the championship will be won on the field.

The flip side, according to some, is that UT/OU was essentially a playoff game.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Why give 2nd chances? Point is, that if you are in a major conference, go undefeated, and you won't have to rely on computer rankings et al to reach the title game. Take care of business (go undefeated) and then b!tch if you get screwed. If you have 1 loss, blame yourself before blaming the BCS.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I agree with you whole-heartedly.

kidrock--
    We all know that the BCS gives us the best possible game for the title, right? Remember last year??????

10. Refman

Not anytime soon...but if that conference has an auto bid...don't you think that it will aid in recruiting in that conference?

BTW...when was the last time a Sub Belt team had a legitimate shot in the basketball tourny? Are you in favor of removing their auto bid for that?

11. gr8-1

I'd like to think that Miami could have given OU a better game in 2000 as well. Miami beat FSU, and I believe they ahd the same record. Miami lost to UW that year on the road.

12. Manny Ramirez

Exactly and I think Oregon might have given Miami a better game than Nebraska did last season.

The BCS has been SO fortunate that OU and Miami won those games because there would have been a split NC if FSU and Nebraska had won instead.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I really don't care about who gets the #2 spot, especially last year, when Miami would have killed anyone who was #2.

I also don't think that Miami would have beaten OU in 2000.

14. gr8-1

I don't know about kill. Maybe something in CU or UO's D forces Dorsey into 4 turnovers? Both teams were faster than Nebraska. Maybe CU's running game keeps the Miami O off the field?

Maybe that year was an anomaly? In 5 years, there may not be a team as dominant as Miami? In that case, I want the two best teams.

The FSU team that lost to OU was pretty stout, but I thought Miami was better. FSU also didn't have Snoop Minnis and I'm not sure if Richt's head was in the game. Did he actually call that game?

15. Refman

The BCS was touted as the system that would give us the best game EVERY YEAR for the national title. It didn't. It failed. It's a flawed system.

This has got to be the ONLY sport where the competitors for the championship are determined by the media and a bunch of computers. Computers??? I've got an idea...why don't we just have the computers decide the whole damned thing during week 1 and not play the games at all? That would be a lot easier for everybody.

For those of you who feel that you should go undefeated and everything will take care of itself...the Chronicle had a good article yesterday where it was showed that we could have as many as 7 undefeated teams at the end of the season. What do we do then? 5 teams will get shafted. That is proof that the BCS is a flawed system. Many of the coaches have come out after last year's debacle and said as much.