1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Methinks you're right.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That was the best thing Powell said, and it's about damn time someone said it. Folks are accusing Obama of being a muslim. Um, what if he is. Do we not have muslims in this country??

3. xelloss12

xelloss12 Contributing Member

Spin's already started by the McCain campaign.

The fact that Powell thinks Obama is ready means that Obama is not ready. Ahahahaha

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It means they don't want Powell going on speeches for Obama.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you noticed that ever since Guy Richie married Madonna, his movies have been crap?

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What crazy and sad about politics is politicians think the country is divided into 45% left,45% right and 10% in the middle, but i think its more 25-25-50. I know quite a few republicans as do alot of dems, and if you didnt know it, most think about the same. Sure there is extremes on bothe sides, but most people kinda are in the middle on just about everything. Republicans dont want to have a million guns no more than dems want to limit people to 1. Dems dont favor abortions no more than republicans say a woman shouldnt ever have one. Ive been around 6 and 7 figure republicans and democrats. People are people. I really dont like the way Mccain or the campain has been very negative. I mean to hear some people talk about obama being muslim, as if its something wrong with that. Not only that, the same people that smeared mccain in 2000 was hired by mccain to make those lying robo calls. it mean they smeared him so bad, one of his daughters voted for kerry because she couldnt stand what bush had done. They brought cindy mccains prescription drug abuse, they lied about him fathering a black kid out of wedlock eventhough he does have close black family members. If he instructs his campain to stick to the issues and talk about what he can do, it would be better served. Of cours, we knew once Powell endorsed barack, the far right would call him a liar and every other name in the book.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Rhetorical question? To all comedians every angle is fair game, but it doesn't diminish the respect that black comedians have for Colin Powell, or do you want to speak for that group too?

They don't represent the entire black community.

Many people in every community think negatively about their politicians but it doesn't mean that Colin Powell is so negatively viewed in the black community that he would endorse a candidate just to renew his black card.

It's a ridiculous assumption.

8. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

First off, did I say he was trying to SOLELY improve his image with the ENTIRE Black Community? No! I'm not speaking for the ENTIRE community. Quit being so defensive or is this where you pull your Race card? I'm not assuming he's renewing his black card at all. First I said he was trying to clean up his image with the black community. Then I said, he was trying to clean up his image with the Global community and his legacy.

The examples I gave were to demonstrate what many in the community have at one time thought of Powell. Did I say the Majority of the BC? No.

I do think he has his own personal ulterior motives for announcing this at this time while the whole world is watching this election.

Powell was just in London and said:

Mr Powell told the audience his own black identity mattered as much as ever and that Africa, with hard work and foreign investment, could prosper like Asia and Eastern Europe.

"I stand before you tonight as an African-American," Mr Powell said.

"Many people have said to me you became secretary of state of the USA, is it still necessary to say that you are an African-American or that you are black, and I say, yes, so that we can remind our children.

"It took a lot of people struggling to bring me to this point in history. I didn't just drop out of the sky, people came from my continent in chains."

A lot of wrongs had been done to Africa by Western powers faced with "an iron curtain and a bamboo curtain", he said in an apparent reference to the USSR and communist China.

These barriers had fallen, he argued.

"Asia is expanding, it created jobs for people, and Eastern Europeans are doing the same... it's now Africa's turn."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7670788.stm

Now you tell me he's not trying to clean up his Global reputation? He clearly is trying to save his legacy with comments like these. What better way then to announce his support for Obama when the whole world is watching. Not to mention, I'm sure Powell and Obama have had discussions.

As I said before, this announcement helps Powell more than it does Obama. Obama has this election won and Powell knows it. By making this announcement, it puts him back in the spotlight and restores his image with not just the Black Community but with the Global community. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some kind of deal with the Obama administration in regards to Africa based after reading this BBC Article. Hard work and Foreign Investment such as US Investment. Ulterior motives Indeed!

9. Another Brother

Your Question
    Your first post
    Colin Powell is one of the most influential African Americans in the history of this country and to assume that this is somehow minimized within the black community because of the opinion of a few people is extremely shallow. TRUST ME ON THIS.

This says a lot more about your agenda than it does mine. I lost a little respect for you today Rich.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its amazing, he brings up race and when you respond, he accuses you of the race card.

this election is really bringing out some true feelings, its going to be interesting to see the meltdowns two weeks from now.

11. Major

Major Member

Except Powell already has the highest positive vs. negative ratings of basically any public figure in the US. This endorsement pisses off many on the right. How does it help him?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As Powell said when he made his endorsement, if it was about race he could have come out and endorsed Obama long ago. There was no reason to wait until now.

Powell laid out a long list of eloquently laid out reasons for why he was supporting Obama and not supporting McCain. Some people dismiss those issues without even bothering to explain why they should be dismissed and not taken at face value.

Furthermore these people didn't claim that Lieberman endorsed McCain to renew his white card, or because it had everything to do with McCain also being white. For some reason people just accepted Lieberman's rationale.

So why don't they accept Powell's?

13. Another Brother

if you have an opinion on anything cultural here and you're black it's the convenient argument for some, but with Rich it really surprises me. truly disappointing.

you and i hardly agree on anything pgabs, what card do we have to go to? ;)

14. Another Brother

Wow. Great point...I wish I had an education. :(

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

These guys are also voting for Obama because he's black.

[​IMG]

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The whole Powell chose to endorse Obama due to race is completely and utterly stupid and ignorant.

Did Bush endorse McCain because they're both white? What about Lieberman? I love how the Repubs like to think they are above playing the race card but it seems they're the ones who drag it out the most.