1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glynch,

You don't tip your hand about these things....I think he was used in the WMD UN deal....I believe that Bush and company lied to him, and he repeated the lies to the UN, which forced him to eventually leave the administration.

DD

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The relevance isn't the left's opinion. I personally don't think I could care any less what Powell says/thinks at this point. What is of relevance is that this is a figure that is still held in great esteem by moderates and republicans. So his endorsement means alot in de-alienizing Obama. This isn't too difficult of a concept to grasp TJ.

3. MystikArkitect

I seriously got chills when he told the story about the kid who died for this country who was Muslim. I didn't ever really understand how or why someone being a Muslim makes them anti-American. Muslim does not equal terrorist. Consider this a huge nail in McCain/Palin coffin. This isn't a time in our country that we need to segregate and distance ourselves from each other, as the McCain-Palin campaign repeatedly implies and endorses. It's a time to unite, and it's something only one of the candidates can do. Sorry Repubs.

You're done.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that was Powell's finest moment today. I wish I could get a clip of just that segment of the interview to post. It was spot on.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

start at the 4:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_WZi0eV1U

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the smear campaign begins...

We all know why Powell endorsed Obama, right? Right?

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Colin Powell is black? WTF?

8. surrender

surrender Member

http://blogs.chron.com/texassparkle/2008/10/colin_powell_endorses_obama.html

b-b-but I thought liberals were the real racists

9. Major

Major Member

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/10/why_the_powell_endorsement_cou.html#more

Of note:

2. The Most Popular Man in America? Powell, unlike almost no other official with ties to the Bush Administration, has retained remarkable popularity ratings. In an August Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll, more than three-quarters (76 percent) of voters viewed Powell favorably while just 13 percent saw him in an unfavorable light. A large part of Powell's appeal is his perceived bipartisanship -- a direct result of his decision to repeatedly turn down overtures to run for president in his own right. For a certain (not insubstantial) portion of the electorate, when Powell speaks, they listen. The Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll reinforces that fact; more than one in three voters said a Powell endorsement of Obama would make them more likely to vote for the Democrat. (Hat tip to Jon "The Numbers Man" Cohen for the polling data.)

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is Limbaugh going to research how many liberals Chris Buckley and Peggy Noonan have endorsed as well or is he just investigating black Republicans? What a despicable human being.

11. rocket3forlife2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mo_WZi0eV1U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mo_WZi0eV1U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    Also the man is a Career Soldier. . .as a Good Soldier you do as you are told
    You don't buck the system. You follow orders.
    His superior Officer told him to go to the UN . . and he did it.
    The Deception added insult to injury IMO

He fell on the knife for the Bush Admin [along with alot of others]
    He did what he thought was best for the country and kept queit
    [He might have been wrong behind that but I respect his motivations]

Rocket River

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Here's the picture that Powell is referring to.

[​IMG]

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I didn't think Obama's spiritual leader and inspiration for his book, Reverend Wright, liked Colin Powell.

"(white America...) ...they live below the level of Clarence, Colin, and Condamnesia..."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36T1fnIafC0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36T1fnIafC0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I guess Colin has shrugged that off in an effort to have the first (half) black President elected.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You're beyond reflecting poorly on yourself, since your integrity bottomed out a long time ago, but this type of pathetic race baiting reflects poorly on the entire BBS.

Colin clearly expressed how he made his decision.

On a more minor note, it is triply ironic that you defame Powell now as having fallen out of favor with Bush, since you also seek to distance McCain from Bush. So, which is it? Powell is a loser because he stood up to Bush (i.e. Bush is good), or your entire party disavows Bush? Just like the party platform, the convention, and the entire McCain/Palin campaign, sound and fury, heavy on the fury.

But hey, keep posting those videos of Wright. Keep on dividing the country, and we can continue our national descent in the world. Quality of life, integrity, economic power, education: all on their way down.

You and Rush just keep fiddling, keep trying to profit from pure negativity and cynicism. The rest of us are going to vote, get to work, and do something positive about it.

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

As a black man, it is extremely disturbing to me to see so many conervatives accuse Mr. Powell of making this decision on the basis of race. Really, how is this behavior not racist in nature? You're telling me, because of the color of his skin, his decision cannot judged on the basis of the multiple, concise, reasons he so eloquently provided? Basically, even after everything he's done for this country, his reasoning in this matter still comes down to "he's black?"

This is despicable.

Honestly, I don't know whether to cry, scream, or punch something. What's wrong with these people?

As an independent that had been leaning one way but not fully committed, I think I just made a concrete decision on who I'm voting for. This kind of ignorant intolerance cannot be allowed to divide this country any longer.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As a white man, I cannot pretend to experience those comments (and here, the posts) like you must experience them.

But I sympathize with the frustration, and agree with the diagnosis. We need to look at the groups using division to achieve their goals, and we need to punish them.

18. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I think T_J was born out of hate and desperately needs a hug right now.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

I said this to you already to say that anyone is anti-Government because they are critical of their government is more Anti-American than that person. Read to Bill of Rights notice how much is in there to be anti-government is in it. I system is design to be able to be critical of our government everytime we feel I government has done us wrong or has wronged others.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Black man endorses a Black man . . it is about race
    White man endorses a White man . . well they reviewed the facts blah blah blah .. business as usual

people have no idea how much Obama has revitalized people
    alot of old head black folx. . . folx that marched with MLK
    were beginning to lose faith in America

Rocket River