1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking. A major McCain/Palin campaign derail. What was really great about Powell's endorsement was the way he did it, slicing and dicing the McCain/Palin campaign in that way only Powell can do. Hammering the choice of Palin by McCain. Assaulting the GOP campaign tactics. Defending Obama on the worst of the negative attacks. All with very few words, but great authority. Perfect TV. It was a thing of beauty. This is really going to hurt John McCain, more than I thought before he did it.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I felt deceived also, but he was outranked by the Commander-In-Chief and Powell is a military man. If given an order, he will follow it.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's true. It's already breaking news on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and some news and newspaper's website. They'll probably spend another 2-3 days with this as the top story or one of the top stories.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The problem is in the milatary there is a lot of trust factor there meaning you rely on your people. The thing is Powell got the same eveidence that he showed the UN ran with it. He got caught up into listening to his intellegence and recieved bad advice. The thing about Saddam is he wanted the world to think he had Nuclear weapons becase he was still dealing with the threat of Iran and he wanted keep Saudi Arbia in some form of fear.

The truth is the reason why we still in Iraq is because business men with business attitudes ran the war like a business instead of like a strategic military should. We went in mininumising troops and coust instead of going into there with overwhelming force. They said we need 50,000 troops there so we chould have send 100,000 but insead we send 50,000. That type of thought process has keep us in this war. We also totally elimanted all Iraqi police forces and military forces instead of turning over to ourself after taking over the government. Leaving former Iraqi troops and policemen jobless and desperate for income. This made them easy targets to be bought by terriost groups who relocate to Iraq to join there side by them promising money.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

LOL at some of the naivete on this thread... Powell was a castoff of the 1st Bush Administration and a discredited liar, according to the left. He made the key argument in front of the UN to go to war in Iraq. But now, suddenly his judgment is unquestioned, and he is a credible endorsement! Just hilarious naivete, folks... Does adding Powell to the Obama stable not make for a little bit of...err... inconsistency? Is Obama not standing on a platform of 'Iraq was stupid'? Now he's got the front man for the decision to go to war on his side -- the most discredited Sec of State in the last 50 years... nice endorsement!

Everyone knows there was a rift b/w Powell and the Republican party. Everyone knows that Powell identifies with Obama on racial lines... This is a total non-event and will be drowned out by other news in a matter of hours.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nom nom nom

cannibal_jorge

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pathetic. Powell is a Republican, trash him all you want. His endorsement doesn't matter to the left, it matters to Republicans who still respect Powell.

When I saw this thread title I knew you were going to post something about Powell and Obama's race. You playing the race card is about as predictable as the sunrise.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The part of Powell's speech where he talks about the rift in the Republican party, and somewhat this entire country, about how all Muslims are being vilified and used as a derogatory term was pretty powerful stuff.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang it, I missed it....did he doe the endoresment?

DD

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually it was a total lie. Wouldn't be Powell's first time to lie, now would it?

BWA HA HA HA HA

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes!!!!!!!

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but my girlfriend is somewhat conservative, both my parents, one of my sisters and my girlfriends parents are all very conservative/Bush supporters (well, not anymore, but they still think he's a good guy and all that jazz). All of them love Colin Powell.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Link below...

14. Lil Pun

Turning on your own now?

15. Lil Pun

That's sad but true. I see it way too often, especially where I live.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just watched it, thanks for the link......what an amazing man he is........and clearly he gets it.

If Powell would have run as a Republican instead of McCain I would be voting for him instead.

DD

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Indeed.

Lights are now thankfully out on McCain / Palin.

And incidentally, lights are also out on your tenuous claim to anything other than fringe politics, values, and discourse. Enjoy the political Sahara, I think they can get AM reception there. Hopefully there's no web access.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

man if mccain tells the truth, he would say palin is the worst judgement he has ever made in his life too.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He speaks impressively. Lying though his teeth when he pretended he did not have a clue about the lack of wmd IMHO.

Defintely lying when he said Bush was still deciding whether to attack Iraq at a late date, when it has been proven that the decision was made months earlier. Se Downing Street Memo.

Whatever, hope conservatives and unaware moderates see his endorsement as important.