1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The fact that in almost all situations a team wanting to work out a player simply calls them in for a workout. Seems this was simply an NFL PR stunt. And, according to reports, one of the issues that cause Kaep to delay and move his workout was wording in the paperwork that suggested he could not sue the league after the workout should no team sign him.

Kaepernick moves workout, says NFL demanded he sign liability waiver
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-says-nfl-demanded-he-sign-liability-waiver/

Even the "reviews" of his workout differed greatly. One report says he demonstrated "elite" throws. Another said he looked "average." One report said he threw like Billy Kilmer. Others, including the tape I saw, showed him throwing well on short and long throws. Some complained he threw only to undefended receivers. Others pointed out that most "workouts" are QBs throwing to undefended receivers. I suspect the reviews lined up with how you feel about Kaep and the situation.

Its very possible Kaep has no interest in playing. Its also possible the NFL has no interest in him playing. Both may be using each other to achieve their own goals.

Invisible Fan and amaru like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

I think Kaep realized long ago that his playing days are behind him. The NFL has zero intention of him ever playing, regardless of his ability, to even allow him to be a part of his organization. I'm sure there are those in the NFL that agree with his stance, but the NFL is a business and Kaep would negatively impact the bottom line of any team he was signed to. And there is a legitimate concern of the media circus that would follow him for an team general manager to consider.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

The NFL sponsored workout screams PR stunt. As you said, any interested team could just call his reps. I don't blame Kaep for not wanting to be a part of a dog and pony shows. I think he realized long ago that his NFL career is over, it has absolutely nothing to do with his talent at this point.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This was an NFL PR cluster**** to the surprise of no one except perhaps NFL executives.

mdrowe00, FranchiseBlade and amaru like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If the nfl did this to say hey we gave him a shot with no intention of signing him maybe Kaepernick should have just bowed

At the same time its a tough position because people will blame him. But i agree with you this was a clusterflop

6. KingCheetah

Representatives from eight teams made the trip to suburban Atlanta for Saturday's workout, which featured 60 scripted throws to receivers including Cowboys alum Brice Butler and Kaepernick's former 49ers teammate Bruce Ellington. Kaepernick appeared to be in "good shape" and impressed with his arm strength, though his deep accuracy was described as "ordinary." Among the most mobile quarterbacks in football during his Niners heyday, scouts noted that Kaepernick's speed is still very much an asset. The takeaway, at least in one scout's estimation is that Kaepernick is "good enough to be on a roster" but would probably have to settle for a backup gig. Teams have been reluctant to align themselves with Kaepernick due to his strong stances on issues related to race and social justice, though Saturday proved the 32-year-old can still sling it.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Just watched his post-workout statement, and rightly or wrongly that is exactly why the NFL wants no part of him. You're auditioning for a job and your first reaction is to call your potential employers p*****s who are too scared to hire you. Brilliant PR.

8. Senator

Senator Member

Great statement. Low on talent, low on IQ, high on entitlement. Victimized millenialism.
    By the way, with all his social justice heroics, did anything actually happen? Of course not, because he was too lazy to go through the right channels.
    Lots of blame needs to be put on the media for reaching at straws to suit far left agenda. Wasn't a very good NFL player, wasn't a smart enough guy to take on the topic and I would much rather have an AA professor, academic, doctor, intellectual... take on social justice.

9. NewRoxFan

10. KingCheetah

That post workout soap box speech was hard to watch it was so full of cringe -- the NFL and CK both took a hard L after that fiasco.

11. TheresTheDagger

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Keep flexing that intelligence level...

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really care about CK. But I am puzzled by the people who take such delight in attacking him. It's almost like they are relieved each time he does something stupid so that they are free to attack him without reprisal... and also the chance to try and paint him as a personification of everything left-wing.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get the obsession with CK. He's just some dude that kneels during the anthem and it gets the right all worked up in a tizzy. I thought people on the right didn't care for political correctness and celebrated different views. CK has views that aren't in the mainstream and so what? If people just didn't care about his kneeling on the right, he'd probably have stopped kneeling 3 years ago.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

A trump defender safe zone...

18. KingCheetah

[Fist] Bump.

fchowd0311, RayRay10 and Blatz like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That son of a b**** wasn't Peacefully Protesting...that was Blasphemy!!

J.R. and RayRay10 like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It was as obvious as night and day that "disrespect the troops" narrative was nothing more than a cover to not look like outright racists and just admitting they believe black people are making up their transgressions against them.

No type of protest would satisfy their sensibilities unless it was inside a sound proof building where no one could here them.

Buck Turgidson likes this.