1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What do you expect will happen?

NIKE will be around the same a year from now or perhaps even better is my guess.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Of course they'll be around. Did I say they wouldn't?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm asking you what do you expect will happen to their numbers?

I said they'll be around the same, not that you said they wouldn't exist, but your previous posts seem to suggest that they are going to take some large hit.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

I'm confused, you ask "I'm asking you what do you expect will happen to their numbers?", then you reply " your previous posts seem to suggest that they are going to take some large hit."

Yes, I think they'll lose money with Kapernick. I thought I made that clear.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only Stupid people or willfully ignorant ones think he is protesting the flag or troops.

DD

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don’t think making a profit on the line was ever Nike’s intent.

They could run a lot of things like a startup if they’re data savvy.

From a biz side, the risk is having a political campaign go off the rails at any moment which bleeds into the entire brand, however people are innoculated by their **** dumpster fire of a leader and would shrug at one or two annoyances if the music keeps playing and Nike keeps trying.

It’s messy and uncharted but it’s cheaper than paying an athlete a multi year 200 million dollar lifestyle contract...they already do that anyways. Dropping Kap and doing dmg control is at worst a 2-3 yr ordeal (i.e Republican Party).

OTOH, there really isn’t a true cultural counterweight to the shitbag in chief (is that Nike’s fault for seizing that opportunity?). This could cement some bonafides much like rich white supremacists only buying New Balance shoes.

What a world...

7. Severe Rockets Fan

That may be true...but the flag means more than just cops killing black folks. Some people chose to stand because of everything the flag represents not just bits and pieces. Imagine a person in church instead of kneeling to pray, they choose to stand in the aisle to protest catholic church priest rape of kids. Hell that protest would certainly be acceptable...but you'll have people pissed bc you are still disrespecting the moment of prayer and how sacred it feels to some. I imagine some 'willfully ignorant ones' have similar feelings for the flag. Patriotism and religion both require a sort of faith to maintain..."I'm on the good side!" "I know this is right!" Is it though?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So, when is the last time NIKE lost money annually?

You're saying something that never happens will suddenly happen because of this? Do you see how this is a bit of an extreme position?

9. Severe Rockets Fan

I'm saying they are going to lose money overall after this move. I imagine millions of people are against Kap...don't you think that's accurate? Do you think the others that are 'for' him are going to make up the money lost by that action? I don't know how else to put it.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, and millions of people are for Kap and internationally this very likely (super likely) doesn't affect them at all. It turns out, the people that are against Kap isn't their usual consumer base.

At the end of the day NIKE is appealing to their actual audience, creating buzz around their brand.

Let's remember, NIKE doesn't only sell shoes, they also sell jerseys...college jerseys, apparel, etc, I wonder how many people are going to stop buying college apparel too. Funny, I didn't see people burn their Michigan jerseys.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...mpany-unveiled-kaepernick-campaign-2018-09-07
    Nearly every financial website is saying that Nike is going to be alright and if anything, going to better their brand in the long run.

I dunno, I'm going with the experts on this one along with Nike which probably has an entire division of research based on things like this.

11. Invisible Fan

The crux is that too many Americans hold a stupid game and an arbitrary loyalty ceremony (pre-game anthem) more sacred ("Church Sacred") than the ideals those ceremonies were intended to uphold and honor.

That we're still discussing this (and others profiting off of it) rather than addressing the core problems signals a cultural unwillingness or reluctance to face those hard realities and conflicts head on.

juicystream likes this.
  12. Severe Rockets Fan

Still, there are a bunch of mouth breathing hard core racist mofos (per guys on this forum) that have feet and purchased a lot of Nike apparel...like the nearly 50% of folks in the country that voted for Trump...more than just shoes too. I don't think it is a small amount of people. I don't think all of the 50% bought Nike but a significant percentage of them did. I think in the long run it will hurt them. I'm sure they have super duper smart folks that have thought of this too...I just don't see how losing all those customers is going to pay off. Sorry I know i'm probably ignorant of the whole situation, but I guess we'll see.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are too dumb to understand what kaep is protesting that's on you not him. It's pretty easy to understand what he is protesting, and it's not the troops.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Totally agree...still I don't think everyone that is pissed at the guys kneeling at the anthem are doing it because they're ignorant racists that hate blacks and want to keep them down. There's more to it than what a lot of folks here want to acknowledge.

15. Severe Rockets Fan

So they're either with you or against you? Obi wan would be disappointed lol.

16. TheresTheDagger

17. Invisible Fan

Yeah it's easy to remove nuance through the internet. It's also easier to ignore people in person, then imagine and confirm what we think online.

There's definitely demographics who fits the mold you're describing like the silent generation or people unwilling or incapable of describing their feelings for everything. There's also people who don't want to think about this crap at a game despite the game being one of the few opportunities to see other people of a different color.

I think those demographics you're referring to is doing a disservice to themselves for not finding a way to voice their thoughts. On the flipside, I bet the other side who are so eager to cast out those demographics wouldn't give them the time of day in person at a neutral setting.

The internet has the habit of making people problems worse, not better or more perfect.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No my point is a lot people don't seem to not understand what he is protesting. I am just saying if people can't figure out what he protesting its on them not him. He is not protesting the troops. America is all about protest and it has a long rich tradition.

Philando Castile got shot for no reason and the cop got off. I mean that is pretty ridiculous.

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Oh I hear ya...I just think many of them think there are other ways to protest what he's trying to raise awareness on while not using a flag, during the national anthem to do it. Again, the flag represents more than the one thing Kap is trying to say it does. Yes there is a long rich tradition of protest in this country...if 100% of the population wasn't on board with those protests does that make the others automatic mouth breathing knuckle draggers? In this forum it seems to.

Air Langhi likes this.
  20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I absolutely love seeing far left leaning liberals vehemently defending a global corporation who is capitalizing financially on social issues. Further proof that capitalism always wins.