1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach Nick on the Westbrook trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andre0087, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Similar videos and hot takes were made after we got Chris Paul.

I remember all the generic "Can they really share the ball?" analysis these youtube guys put out like somehow it was deep insight.

All the questions raised in this video are relying on old information such as the Pistol 21, etc -- based on a offense specifically designed for Harden and Paul.

I'm sure D'Antoni will figure out a new system and a new style that maximizes Westbrook's strengths.

Perhaps, the Rockets run more fast-break and speed up the pace when Westbrook is on the floor by himself, which would be a great opportunity to incorporate Capela who is an excellent fast-break big man. Then, Add Gordon, Rivers, or Green as snipers on the wing and Westbrook could easily cause a lot of havoc against the opponent's 2nd units in this uptempo style.

Nonetheless, the Rockets will be a very different offense next season so all these video breakdowns are meaningless right now.

lw17 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, I'll try saying it a different way. He does not like James Harden's style, the heavy isolation, the foul drawing/flopping, the ball hogging/high usage. He is in the camp of "this is not the way the game is meant to be played." Is that fair to say?

Smacktle likes this.
  3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

he's a racist either way

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He has played next to Durant, Pg before and refused to alter his shot selection become disciplined. You think that’s going to change on one of the most care/free unstructured offense ever breh? Nick is absolutely right here

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Don't try to put words in my mouth.

I never said Westbrook would change his game. Instead, D'Antoni will figure out what offense maximizes Westbrooks strengths.

We know for sure Harden and Westbrook will have their minutes staggered must like Harden and Paul did. So, Westbrook will lead the 2nd unit for stretches in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when Harden is on the bench. That's where I said there is opportunity to change the style and run a more fast-break with Capela, Gordon, Rivers, and Green.

6. Homey the Clown

Of course you homer ass fans don't like it because he isn't beefing up the Rockets lol. Typical.

cheke64 likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, some guy with a YouTube account, got in at the right time, internet access, and a repeat music track, Hahah. With that said, some of his breakdowns on games are interesting and pretty decent, but I have only seen a few of them.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Simply improving his shot selection would have drastically improved his career legacy. Just stop taking sooooo many stupid shots he isn’t good at. Not even a hard concept.

He’s never done it. Maximizing Westbrook = Westbrook taking fewer dumb shots.

MDA should get coach of the year unanimously if he gets Westbrook to do what he has never done.

Smacktle and HP3 like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah MDA is going to have to step up for sure

Smacktle and HP3 like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, he's not a hater, I mean watch the breakdown when harden owned the Warriors in January. Pretty good analysis iirc

HP3 and Hmc415 like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder about this...did Jimmy tell MDA he'll support him till season's end?

The old coot is auditioning for another year, but any other coach would be buying one way tickets on road trips....

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It's possible... MDA coaches guards for sure. Just have to see, i think the body language between harden and wb on the court will be a lot better vs cp3 in season 2,

HP3 likes this.
  13. jowman

jowman Member

Yup, He’s one of the best on YouTube to break down the game for casual fans. He’s also definitely a warriors dick sucker and harden hater. This year he will be on the clipper bandwagon and may be right to do so. Biases aside he’s been pretty spot on with his player analysis.

Besides the biases, his transition to ads suck and he seems like a creep so would definitely watxh someone else if there was an alternative

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

(Russ' D + Harden's D) - Bigly Dick = Train wreck.

Oh Lawd.....

15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I really don't know if it will work but it had to be done.

Some people are not taking into account the drop off in play CP suffered from yr 1to yr 2 with the Rockets.

What if the drop off nxt season was similar or even worse?

The truth is the trade and subsequent contract extension given to CP was a mistake.

This trade for Westbrook is risky but provides more upside potential and could possibly save us from completely wasting Harden's prime.

It had to be done.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

End of video brings up good points, if adjustments are made correctly, and then egos in check, with chemistry, WB could be perfect. I mean WB never had this version of harden, except during offseason events/pick up games, some team USA stuff. Sooooo i definitely will be optimistic.

HP3 likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Going by this and other posts of yours, WHY are you a Rockets fan, again?

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think it's an accurate assessment, especially coming form Coach Nick who isn't a big Rockets or Westbrook fan.

HP3 and ElPigto like this.
  19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

And if he said anything you would have annoying fans whining and posting while attacking Clutchfans.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Because he needs something to complain about in order to get attention.

Smacktle likes this.