1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach K doesn't know basketball, raves about Dantoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 4, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Might get lost in your Twitter time after passing of Ali.

http://m.chron.com/sports/rockets/a...e-D-Antoni-and-James-Harden-could-7962833.php

2 people like this.
  2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Nonsense. D'Antoni is extremely cocky and condescending. With that said, he's the best offensive mind in basketball.

3. justtxyank

I trust you. It's likely you've spent a great deal more time with him than coach k. What team were you on with him?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah because what else is a coach going to say about his buddy?

1 person likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've never heard a coach say, oh yeah that coach sucks. Coach K would probably put in a good word for Bobby Knight somewhere. Oh yeah, Bobby's a genius. An expert motivator and tactician. Great coach. Thanks Coach K.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He played for Bobby at Army and was an assistant under him at IU.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sure when asked about JBB, he'd say he's a great coach, humble, hard worker, and a true tactician.

8. justtxyank

He turned over the offense to him.

Y'all are probably right he's just a liar. Anyone who says good things about Dantoni is either stupid or a liar. Got to trust the people who know him best; Internet fans

2 people like this.
  9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Putting any stock in Coach K's comments about MDA is like putting any stock in JVGs comments about JBB. They are not going to talk bad about them regardless of how they really feel.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well this changes everything. I've never once heard a basketball coach say nice things about another basketball coach, so this is huge.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Coach K didn't know D'Antoni before they were on the Olympic team. Jerry Colangelo put Coach K in contact with D'Antoni as a possible coach for his staff for they Olympic team. Coach K was so impressed with D'Antoni that he put him on his staff and turned over the offense to him.

So he's not just saying things to be nice... he really believes in D'Antoni.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol jvg said on national tv that jbb is a great coach!

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So what youre saying is is that htowndumbass, I mean htowngenius, does know basketball?

Get that kid some cookies. He deserves them.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not to derail, but he was. Don't let Knight's mistakes be the end all when it comes to his coaching. Knight probably got more out of his players than any other college coach. Of course Knight couldn't control his temper, but he was a helluva coach. Not to mention coach K played for and learned under Knight.

Hiring D'Antoni was not my first choice, i've never cared for him personally. That said, it's obvious the Rockets know his flaws and understand he needs a strong staff around him and are working hard to make that happen. I'm cautiously optimistic because of this.

Coach K is obviously an all time great, he's proven he can succeed with not only college players, but motivate and succeed with NBA stars as well. Coach K has spent a lot of time with D'Antoni and if he's believes in his coaching ability then I believe him.

15. MONON

MONON Member

Don't fret. If you post something that 85% of the board doesn't believe, then it's not true & you're gonna get flamed. Oh, and don't try to confuse the issue with quotes & facts! :grin:

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

maybe MDA will be great for this team - im open to that... what rockets fan isn't?

but if we have another **** year - MDA and Les will see pitchforks!

17. bmd

bmd Member

Here is an excerpt from the book ":07 Second or Less". For those who don't know what the book is about, Sports Illustrated writer Jack McCallum was allowed all-access to the Suns back in 2006 and with the plan to write a book about his year-long experience.

[​IMG]

Here is another excerpt from another part of the book:

[​IMG]

Seems as if Coach K really does think D'Antoni is a great basketball coach. These weren't soundbites for the media... they were (semi) private conversations.

18. houtown

houtown Member

I really do think you guys over analyse the problems with the Rockets, it is not so much talent issue as it is character and personality if you ask Me, it has to do with character, both on and off the court. A high character coach would have been able to rectify that, but I just have trouble thinking that D'Antoni is that high character guy. From the the top on down, it is hard to respect certain characters in the organization, especially after the arrogance garnered after making the conference finals the year before on the court.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^ This.

There's no reason for Coach K to say anything other than nice comments about D'Antoni. It doesn't mean he is dumb or stupid or lying. Any coach would say the same thing if asked by the media.

20. chandlerbang21

That philly offense was excellent last season.......................................