1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On De’Anthony Melton and the Rockets 2018 Draft, plus LeBron and free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 25, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

MCW can't be traded he just got signed.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think his contract is non-guaranteed though

saleem likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

roslolian and saleem like this.
  4. basketballholic

Didn't say he would be traded. Said there's a small chance he gets cut.

saleem likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

15-man roster as it stands right now (assuming we sign Melo and Melton):

5) Capela/Nene/Hartenstein/Zhou Qi/Onuaku
    4) Melo/Anderson
    3) Tucker/Ennis/Green
    2) Harden/Gordon/Melton
    1) CP3/MCW

I'm betting on a trade or two before the season starts

#85 Aruba77, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I hope GG isn't relegated to third string SF. His defense is weak, but he provides us with a real spark off the bench. I'd rather see him play than MCW.

saleem likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Tucker played like 80%+ of his minutes at PF last year. The rest were split between SF and C, slightly favoring SF.

I mean I'll never say never about changing it up, since ultimately they did fail to win a ring, but do you really think they'll move Tucker to the SF position more permanently?

Bearing in mind, when Harden and CP3 are on the floor together, with Clint, they can create plenty of offense... well, at least against almost all teams. Wouldn't you rather surround that with 3&D type players and have Melo come off the bench?

That said, if the above is the starting lineup, I think it more likely Melo is the 3 and Tucker is the 4, at least in terms of who they defend initially (before switching).

Aruba77 likes this.
  8. Aruba77

I'm sure you are right; Tucker (who is 6'5") will start at the 4. Which means Melo will start at the 3. But i sincerely think that is a bad idea. Tucker will not hold up against longer 4's and Melo will constantly get burned by 3's with even average speed. I think we are much better moving Tucker to the 3 and having Melo play out of the 4 (which i believe is his natural position at this stage in his career). Then move tucker over to the 4 for significant minutes. And have Ennis/Green fill in significant minutes at the 3.

To me, that's the best scenario with the current roster.

Hakeemtheking and da_juice like this.
  9. JayZ750

I mean, I think Anthony is probably a better 4 than 3 now, too, for the same general reasons you note. But I also think its generally a lose lose when talking about his position defensively in any scenario.

The key to Tucker at the 4, is that he can switch as formidably on centers as small forwards. And so as a 4, that's what maximizes his defensive versatility.

Whereas I don't really want Melo switching onto 5s or guarding 4s or guarding 3s... lol.

I'd rather play Melo off the bench.

da_juice likes this.
  10. Aruba77

I know he switched on 5's in the golden state series, but i dont think hes a good matchup against bigger front courts. Plus we've got a versitile center

11. JayZ750

My point is simple. The Rockets jettisoned Anderson - albeit, Ryno was playing like crap - to get Tucker in the starting lineup, didn't look back, won 65 games, and made it to the point they were up 3-2 when "healthy". They did this with a defensive minded frontcourt - Ariza, Tucker, Capela.

Getting Melo in there would be basically saying that didn't work, let's try going back to what we were doing and get more offense and less defense at the 4.

saleem likes this.
  12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Didn't OKC have a top 10 defense with Melo on the floor?

topfive likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Any ESPN Insider care to post the contents?

Like I said in another thread, it would be pretty amazing if in a couple of years, we look back at our #46 draft pick as being Morey's big accomplishment of the summer.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets still have not signed DeAnthony Melton.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

At this point i guess it's a given to think it's because he's involved in trade talks...hoepfully it would be eventually worth it, i would hate to see him traded.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Either...
    1) The Rockets want the "ability" to trade his rights right away.
    2) Melton's agent is playing a bit of hardball on Morey's negotiations on adding a 3rd or (4th) year.
    3) The Rockets just hedging a bit and want to make sure Melo is "officially signed" via Vet Min in case somehow Melo decides on more. (doubtful this is the case but it is possible)

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I actually forgot he can also sign for just 2 years ala KJ...that would kinda suck since we already can't sign him for 4 years (Bima said we can't offer a 4th year with the tax MLE) but eh...at this point i would be happy if we can just lock him up for 3 years.

saleem likes this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

KJ just signed for ONE year. He took the Required Tender, choosing to bet on himself. It paid off, since he signed a three-year, $10 million deal the very next summer (of which he received over $6 million).

Melton might be exploring this route. The Rockets don’t have to submit the Required Tender until September 6.

saleem and Vivi like this.