1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 5/16/2018 (Western Conference Finals, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2018.

1. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

wow, what a win. Some immediate thoughts:

-the biggest change that everyone rightly is noticing is the PACE at which we played. When we push the ball up (even after makes by the warriors), we don't let the defense set nearly as easily. It definitely created mismatches and the warriors were flustered, unused to us pushing it ahead so fast. This was especially on display when cp came back into the game and harden sat. There were a handful of possessions where cp threw it ahead to EG, and then when harden came back in the second, he was also looking to push it up to Trevor, etc. This is one of the things the experts got right. It's draining and predictable, and inefficient to walk the ball up every single time, tunnel-ing on JUST getting that matchup with steph. Of course that's our main thing, but I literally found myself saying "wow" when our role players were just going aggressive off the catch so that on their kick-outs, our stars don't have to pound the ball to create a driving lane. I really think if we continue this and kick it to cp, he doesn't have to work nearly as hard to get in the lane and he'll find someone to create even more open looks. James also benefitted from this and it was great to see.

-Basket cuts. We're definitely going to see more doubles on harden up top to try to make him make that pocket pass to the roller at the top of the key. Ariza & tucker are going to have to continue being aggressive, making the right play, and expecting more physical resistance per dribble next game. But ya, we definitely saw way more basket cuts that were widening the spacing on the floor, based off reading the overplays that the warriors do. That level of "freeflowing" actually reminded me a lot of our offense under the Rick Adelman system when guys like Kevin Martin thrived for easy baskets/free throws. It was truly beautiful to watch. In combination with the pace, we even saw more inter-play between paul & harden, catching the ball on a closeout instead of trying to create so much separation off the dribble. If we continue to mix it up offensively this way, we're no longer a predictable read on offense. I hope we keep this up and don't revert to that slow-down pace if/when our shots don't hit nearly as often.

2. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

More thoughts:

-Obviously, our defense was much better. I'm not sure how much it is true that we just decided to let KD have his and stick on everyone else. I think we just did an overall job of letting Ariza man up on KD to at least make him work for his buckets, and Harden definitely showed up more on defense for a couple of sequences. He still drives me crazy on one-on-one lazy defense on the perimeter, but he definitely showed much improved effort, even getting that clean strip on curry that was called a foul.

-Seems like a big part of this series really just comes down to turnovers. Both teams want to get their high-octane offense going and in the process, the team that gets their hands in the passing lane gets out in transition and capitalizes. We made a few misreads on their off-ball screens but it was substantially less. Credit the Rockets' communication out there, their ability to create favorable matchups on both ends, etc.

-IMO, I don't think they need to switch EVERYTHING, just for the bigger threats. Like there's a lot of sequences when the warriors' bench comes in and nick young is screened off ball by david west. I don't think Nick Young is the same threat as their big 3, so why have cp3 switch onto west in that case over and over again? I get it if it's switching for someone like Klay (to which case he'll try to flare away on the catch), but on guys not named Klay, steph, or KD, I don't think the other guys can do nearly as much with a half step if we just chase them on the screen. Just my opinion though, cuz I know that can make things hard to remember for our guys, instead of just switching everything.

Voltik and BigShasta like this.
  3. Drogba

Drogba Member

You're really pushing this Harden is selfish thing hard aren't you?

Funny video though.

4. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hilarious

"We the ****"

BigShasta and Tfor3 like this.
  6. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Sure.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

We punched them in the mouth, now gotta hit 'em with a round house!

got em COACH and Tfor3 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

3-1 when harden plays

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I'm worried about Chris Paul's leg.

10. MyLateRegistration

It hasn't happen. Hit me when it does.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The latest is that dirt is being rubbed on it.

12. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Draymond 6pts, 6reb, 6assists ... 666

Tfor3, BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Honestly the only thing I've been watching is travis scott not sitting his ass down the entire game

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Can’t blame Draymond for being who he is. Apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Tfor3, DavidRocket and hakeem94 like this.
  17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I actually agree with her in totality.

18. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

19. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

20. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member