1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 5/16/2018 (Western Conference Finals, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

where are people getting this gimmick view that curry is hurt? when he went off against the nop, everyone was saying hes back and healthy. now that he hasn't played up to par its bc hes probably hurt so an excuse needs to be made? oh please. hes not put in the position to play well thanks to houston's defense. yeah hell hit shots at some point bc its curry but many of the shots hes been taking the last two games are westbrook like just horrible.

arubato and hieuytran like this.
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get it either. Webber last night was talking about how he had no lift in his shots because he was injured...but then during the next play curry drove to the basket perfectly well and made an acrobatic layup.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Yesterday was my 60th birthday. How nice it was to get exactly what I wanted: a W!

4. noppeper

noppeper Member

Nice post.

THAT was the Rockets team that had multiple double digit winning streaks this season, obliterating anyone that got in their path.

Props to Gordon for stepping up. We know he is streaky, so hopefully this is the start of a hot streak, as the Rockets really need him. I still feel he forced too many of his drives and three point shots, and should cut that back a bit, as he got bailed out by 50/50 calls a couple of times and those are chances you can't generally afford to take.

The offensive rebounding was a problem and something that could be cleaned up, but the Rockets were playing close to the shooters, so its understandable.

We have seen this ball movement on offense throughout the season, but it always starts inside out from ISO in half court or transition, and that is what we saw today. Role players hit their shots or made the right cuts, so that was the difference. I really loved seeing the Rockets outsmart Draymond and use his aggression against him when he went hard at corner shooters, then Ariza and PJ just drove to the basket almost uncontested. The small ball lineup when Draymond is there should be explored a bit more for sure (especially if Warriors continue to ISO Durant so much) and play Clint more with the second unit.

I liked the defensive intensity and focus, the hustle. THAT is something the Rockets can repeat over and over, even after the Warriors adjust (which they will). This is the key to the series IMO...which team can bring the fight and hustle for the longest stretch, as both offenses are potent and can blitzkrieg you in an instant.

The Warriors looked complacent in this game; almost like they took the Rockets for granted. The majority of these cuts by Ariza and PJ were because the Warriors were not expecting them, as if they had never done that before. They will be ready for that next game. They also loaded up heavily on Harden, something the Rockets were able to adjust to right away, so I expect Harden will need to the MVP next game, as they will dare him more. CP3 was huge this game and will need to be adjusted to by the Warriors next game.

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

CP3 is such a magician.....

6. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Anyone have an update on paul?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

and couple that with the what 5 days off before this series actually started. yeah hes definitely "hurt" :rolleyes:

Drogba likes this.
  8. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Happy 60th Birthday good sir!!!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres nothing to update. no injury issues were even brought up in their postgame presser.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great win. Very impressed with the defensive effort. It was clear that the Warriors didn't come out with the same intensity they had in game 1, and we took advantage.

Now the tough part, getting one on the road. It is critical that Moute and possibly even Anderson or Nene play and play well. We can't play 7 guys and expect to win the series, Warriors will just wear us down. We were already dead tired at the end of game 2, so it's really important to throw one or two more bodies out there.

Before the series, I picked Warriors in 6 and so far, everything is holding to form from my original prediction. Let's break that form and get one in Game 3!

11. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Game 3 is always a VERY pivotal game.....and in this series no less/especially. Rockets I'm sure wanted to win game 1.....but just couldn't get it done down the stretch. They had great energy to start off game 1 but the defensive rotations were not sharp and I attribute that at least in part to the long layoff (bad thing for the Rockets).

Game 2 they obviously played like a "must win" game. I see no reason why they can't keep this up through games 3 and 4 at Oracle. It won't be easy...but the Rockets stuck to the same game plan (let KD get his, defend the others, push the ball) for both games and could have won game 1 as well...but the defensive lapses on Thompson and Young (smh) hurt them throughout the game.

I think if I were the Rockets, I would really focus on ending this in 5 at home just like the previous 2 rounds. Go and take both at Oracle. It can be done.......like CP3/Gordon says....it all starts on the defensive end being disciplined and smart.

rocks123 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LMAM's shoulder is still trash. He could barely make a shot, at the rim or outside. Hopefully these off-days before Game 3 do him wonders for recovery.

Remlap likes this.
  13. Remlap

Remlap Member

We have mostly Bluegrass here. I love it. It's soft on the feet and easier to work with (although a bit more sensitive to sun).
    I don't miss the St Augustine grass from Houston (nor the scorching summers)

GO ROCKETS!!

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The athleticism and focus of the young Celtics is down right scary. I just don't know if the Rockets has what it takes against the Celtics if they get past the Warriors.

#2294 Liberon, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

coworker just hit me with the "see what happenes when the Rockets pass the ball"

People really dont watch the Rockets

heypartner and touring_low like this.
  16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

This is hilarious. Careful, language is possibly NSFW.

Tfor3, alethios, heypartner and 2 others like this.
  17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

love this dude on IG. absolutely hilarious

Tfor3 and cdrive like this.
  18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This was more or less a 30 point blowout before garbage time, with Harden and Paul combining for...

.395 FG (15 of 38)
    .200 3PT (4 of 20)
    9 assists
    7 turnovers
    8 fouls

Funny, I seem to remember the "experts" telling me that...

"Harden and Paul have to play out of their minds in 4 games just for the Rockets to have a chance."

and...

"The Warriors have 4 greats players, Rockets only have 2...that's ultimately what it comes down to."

And today I guarantee you will hear...

"The Rockets looked impressive, but they can't sustain that kind of three point shooting!"

Season Avg: 15.3 for 42.3
    Last Night: 16 for 42

:confused:

Tfor3, skroodup25, tmacfor35 and 3 others like this.
  19. Remlap

Remlap Member

Real fans grow weary of the gloom and doom predictions because they are a weak way of trying to always be right.
    Here's how:
    [INSERT GLOOM AND DOOM PREDICTION HERE]
    Rockets Lose: "SEE I was RIGHT", I knew it all along. They just can't compete. I told you so. YOU guys don't know what your talking about.
    Rockets WIN: Oh, that's cool. I'm glad I was wrong. I LOVE the Rockets. GO TEAM!

Especially if this is done on a consistent basis. Right Asheley? Malvo?

20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

If there's a "silver lining" to be drawn here besides the fact that the Rockets tied up the series with an emphatic game 2 win, it's that the Rockets were Rolling the way they've been successful throughout the season. I hope this carries over in game 3 and 4.

KD has made it pretty clear he's going to just be a beast this series. That's fine. I want to see the Rockets carry over the defensive focus and acuity in game 3 and stomp them on the road. I like that they are not satisfied with winning game 2. They still have 3 more to win. Try to win the next 3 in a row one game at a time.