1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Timberwolves 4/2/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 31, 2024.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, this was a transitional year in the West. Last year even with a healthy Memphis in the picture, the Suns managed to get the 4th seed and home court in Round 1 despite a 45-37 record. This year we unfortunately had those aging teams(Clippers, Suns, Lakers, Warriors) still hanging around in the Top 10 and the Clippers temporarily made themselves a little better with the Harden acquisition. Meanwhile, the young teams that were play-in fodder last season(T'Wolves, Thunder, Pelicans) took a huge leap forward. And the Grizzlies down year was offset by the Mavs resurgence after they tanked last year to keep their draft pick.

It was a perfect storm that will not be duplicated anytime soon. The West will still be stacked next season, but not to this degree. Those aging teams will fall off soon and it could be a steep drop for them.

AroundTheWorld and OremLK like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If we're going to jack up 50 threes a game the team as a whole needs to get better in that department.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

every young guy on the team needs to prioritize improving his three point shot in the offseason, except maybe Cam (who needs to watch a lot of game tape and work on his court vision on both ends)

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cam is not excluded at 36%. We need several guys at or above 40 to maximize Sengun. Ideally Sengun could be one of those guys and then the offense becomes nearly unguardable.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And defense. His defense has not been good, individual and team defense.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Past two games only showed me that we really lack some extra firepower. Minnesota and Dallas have more weapons currently.

ALP + Tari back next year is so massive and everyone getting a year older will only help. Amen played like a rookie tonight and Cam was pretty lost defensively.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if his hot streak is over - Minnesota is a VERY tough match up for Jalen Green because of their length and athleticism. He didn't have an amazing game against the Wolves, but I was more impressed by him getting 26/5/6 against the Wolves than 30+ against a team playing for lottery position. He shot poorly from 3 (and he will just have to get better at it this summer) but he still was competing and being productive. A few months ago he would have had 12 points in a game like this.

I will say this - the Rockets shooting coach is going to be REALLY busy between Thompson, Green and Sengun.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets just have to get better at shooting 3's if they ever want to make the playoffs. While the Rockets can add some perimeter shooting through the draft (Reed Sheppard) or free agency - in order for this to work, Green and Thompson and Sengun need to improve from the perimeter. Hell - if Green just shot 33% from 3 last night, he would have had at least 32 points, probably more because they would have crowded him more and he would have got to the basket. Green has become far more effective in the lane and finishing - last night he was like 8/11 from the floor when not shooting 3's.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He also looked better suited as lead ball handler than Ant which surprised me. Green looked to have the tighter handle and could create separation from his dribble at a more effortless way than Ant.

Like he legitimately looked like the better player last night and it wasn't just one was shooting better.

It rather shocked me with how more skilled Green looked than Ant. Ant is still obviously the more physically imposing player but there is an avenue Green can be the better player by just being more skilled.

12. fchowd0311

Wolves commenters brought up Green's height last game. They said something along the lines of "Green is up there with guys like Fox and Ja in terms of speed and quickness but he's 6'6 instead of being 6'3" ""

13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I don't believe 6'6" for a second, I'll need to see him stand next to guys like Harden (6'5") or Westbrook (6'4"), the later of whom seems to share a similar height to Jalen.

14. fchowd0311

Well I see it and multiple NBA commentators see it. Tim Legler was discussing Green and saw he was listed at 6''4" and was confused and said on the court he looks like he has the length and height of a wing.

15. fchowd0311

If you want pictures but I'm confident any picture is going to net with perspective arguments.

AroundTheWorld and Tuckmose like this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

19 though

He basically came straight out of HS being he was out good chunk at Nova

I would imagine if he was starting half of the forum would want him gone and scream about how explosive he is but has low IQ (like they say about JG4) and a ultra Chucker

He will be way better by his 3/4th season because he has the physical tools and athletic ability to be passable and he has that dog to guard bigger players for small spurts

DeBeards likes this.
  17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yes, I never thought he was ready to start even though people were screaming for it though I understand because Jalen was playing so badly.

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Here's Edwards (6' 4"????) standing next to Mike Conley (6'0")

[​IMG]
    Both are leaning back a bit, with Conley leaning a bit more., Edwards also has his head tilted back so any comparison on the head is shifted as well.

Edwards is clearly taller, but it doesn't look like four inches to me, 2-3 more likely.

Jalen is leaning over to get to Edwards' eye-level plus an inch. It's safe to say he has at least two inches on Edwards.

So within my margin of error, that's a range from 6'4" to 6'6".

What we need is Jalen and Amen in the same picture standing up straight, Amen is listed at 6' 7" and I fully believe it. If Jalen's significantly shorter than Amen (which he looks like on the court, but that's not objective), he can't be 6'6".

19. pippsux

pippsux Member

I just never understood jacking up 3s to win a game. Even when we had Dantoni I wasn’t a fan. You have to have very good shooters for that to work. o_Oo_Oo_O

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Welcome to the PPP wars. 3&D has been the model for championships over the last decade.