1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers 2/6/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

True, however their original death lineup before Durant supercharged it was with Draymond, Iggy, Klay, Curry and Harrison Barnes. The Rockets have the potential to pose similar strengths as that one. No team ever was as talented as the Durant Hampton 5.

DreamQuake, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

House really brought the energy with the starters in the first half, then Covington brought that same energy off the bench.

hakeem94, HP3, DreamQuake and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

maybe. but you know what. I've seen enough of his matchups against the rockets to know he can't guard harden in space. and now he has to worry about wb in an open court. and theres no capela to guard so he can hide.

4. amaru

amaru Member

Sure, but when most people think of GSW's "death lineup" it includes Durant.

DreamQuake likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's true, but their first two years was without Durant, they just had Barnes. So they did win a championship using mostly small ball.

Of course though a guy like Durant can play in any lineup

DreamQuake and D-rock like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

They didn't really have big men in there. Durant played strictly on the perimeter. Draymond was their "big men" kinda like Tucker is now.

Golden State had their rim protection issue too with that lineup but they just out shot everyone

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That was hilarious.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Barnes is about 6'9" himself though right? Regardless, MDA has a chance to prove the world wrong.

DreamQuake likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I worry about Joker in the low post too...but as you say, he can't guard the perimeter at all so it's a give or take kind of thing.

Nuggets could put out a pretty good small ball lineup if they wanted to, but will they bench Jokic to do it? Unlikely.

This is why Capela had to be traded because we were obligated to play him and it just prevented the Rockets from going all in on this.

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

another thing im having to argue with my brother....he keeps saying we got streaking shooters...n i tryingbto them him...yea 8 streaky shooters...it only takes one or 2 to go oft. with that many ur margin of been desd cold is alot lower.

he doesnt seem to understand. i keep.trying to tell hkm ita like the warriors what made them so good wws the margin of error with 3 4 allstars.

sure 1 or 2 of them can be off....its like extremely rare all 3 are off.

thats what made them.good.

with us..so.many shooters most we ever had. it will be super rare all 8 go cold at once

11. amaru

amaru Member

I know they looked at Luc earlier in the year and nothing resulted from it. I fear that Luc might just be done.

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah if it continues, and not a prisoner of the moment this will be genius if it works to end the season and in the post season. Let's see what happens next game! Regardless it will be fun to watch.

DreamQuake likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

House is allowed to be a guy out there playing with Roco. He doesn't make this mistakes when he has legit defense with him.

don grahamleone and DreamQuake like this.
  14. Asian Sensation

That’s fair. That’s why we gotta see what happens. Historically speaking though in a 7 game grind out series size makes a difference.

DreamQuake and amaru like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

They picked up Thabo instead of Luc when they were playing in the same try out. Yeah Luc might be done..

don grahamleone, DreamQuake and amaru like this.
  16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Covington, Tucker, Gordon, House, Sefolosha, Rivers and a focused Russ are all above-average to elite perimeter defenders. Mclemore and Harden, provided they're playing hard can also be a positive on that end.

Harden, Tucker, Sefolosha, Covington, and again a focused Russ are all average to above-average post defenders against actually good post players like AD/Jokic. House plays hard when switched in the post, too.

We also have three of the best at jumping the passing lanes as well, and Covington is one of the best if not the best team defender in the NBA.

Yes, we're small. But every one of those players can spread the floor (Russ can drive) and have good enough hands to deflect/steal the ball often. This may signal a return to the true switching defense of the olden days.

Though of course, this is only one game. But I haven't been this satisfied with the Rockets' defense in a while, mistakes and all.

17. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

agree that jokic is probably the biggest concern with this small ball lineup. but i feel like we can play tyson spot minutes in the playoffs to matchup with jokic and be an effective counter. jokic and embiid are really the only players where we really needed capela. other than that, no other team has any bigs who can really punish us inside.

DreamQuake likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

You are a legend.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not worry, Bruno will play. There is a reason that Morey was hot for him all season.

Bruno will also help with rim protection and rebounding, he has a role.

But as tall as he is, do not expect him to always play 5.

I love it. Every player I've been asking for we finally got. Except for AG.

But we will get him next season, or an equivalent like Brandon Clarke, John Collins, Larry Nance Jr or Jonah Bolden.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if one or even both of Bruno/House can provide what moute did, this is basically on par with 17-18 defense with more length