1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 1/27/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 27, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Props to you for calling yourself out! I like it. (sorry I didn't see it... I wouldn't have if I did)

2. don grahamleone

Let's see if you can:

He gave Eric Gordon the keys to the offense last night.

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. everyone knows MDA is a moron. he just got lucky last night. sheesh. homers gonna home.

HP3, hakeem94 and Remlap like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Exactly. And it's the regular season. Someone posted recently an extensive opinion piece on good coaches using the regular season to see who they can rely on come play-off time. The irony is that MDA can be quoted every single year that he will shorten his rotation for the play-offs, but it's exactly the same. Frazier deserves playing time, Hartenstein definitely deserves it and Thabo luckily is getting some lately. Rivers was on the bench for a while, don't know why. McLemore for all his offense has some awful defense at times, so MDA needs to be ready to actually play and adhere to "next man up" mentality that Rivers says they have.

There were some really bad ones in our favour to be fair and they called some solid ones that usually don't get called..

amaru likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't matter what mda did either way. he was already being lynched pre game for his lineup which proved to work. he wins the game and people are still now like well it didn't really matter, he had no choice. at this point it is what it is with him. there's a reason why he's in his position and you're in yours.

as far as last night. good job mda

alethios, Patience, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Remlap

Remlap Member

I'm saying that he's smart enough not to jeopardize his relationship with his 2 key stars.
    Coaching is more than X's and O's. Building trust and relationships with your star players is huge.
    If they don't like you, you are not going to get as much out of them and they can turn the team on you.
    I believe pretty much ALL of the players enjoy playing for MDA. Most of them have a green light already.

I'm pretty sure Gordon already has some options with the ball. You've seen him handle the ball and drive
    plenty in previous games, right? I hear him yell at the basket several times/game.

So, you still have not cited your conversation with Russ & James about how you would
    approach them about taking shots from them and giving them to Gordon?
    Go ahead 'coach'. Let us in on that conversation. . .
    GO AHEAD, show 'em you're not afraid

7. amaru

amaru Member

How the hell would getting a few more shots for Gordon jeopardize MDAs relationship with Harden and Westbrook?

DeBeards likes this.
  8. Remlap

Remlap Member

I guess that's true;
    Pop's is not a real coach either, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli just made him look good
    Riley - Magic, Jabbar and Worthy made him look good
    Jackson - had MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe. Jackson never had to do squat

I mean, who needs a coach? Just roll the ball out there, right?

It's okay to say MDA coached a good game and took a 'lesser' bunch and outcoached his opponent.
    Our players didn't make their own substitutions, didn't call time outs, didn't call their own plays out of time outs,
    didn't make their own defensive assignments.
    You act like this game was the 'Big Bang', it just 'happened' with no direction whatsoever.

Haters gonna hate

alethios, D-rock, Patience and 3 others like this.
  9. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

D-rock, HP3, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

can you imagine if the rockets would have loss. he'd get the same outrage from these same people. once they're stuck in a tunnel that's all they see. cf's gonna cf's

they just rolled the ball out there

#1010 YOLO, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    alethios, HP3, apollo33 and 2 others like this.
  11. Remlap

Remlap Member

This game also proves that MDA's system works with the right personnel.
    Remember 'Linsanity'?
    He DOES have an effective system.

But, I believe James has strayed from that system a bit with all of the ISO and hero ball,
    and Russ is just not an efficient shooter built for this system.
    CP was very precise and a great fit (ala Steve Nash)
    Gordon was able to work it to perfection. Also didn't hurt that his shot was on

D-rock, don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Remlap

Remlap Member

WAIT, all of those references sound like 'coaching' was involved. .
    According to CF, that's just a myth on a D'Antoni team

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh a lot of the people that truly believe he does nothing likely don't even understand the basic lingo in those sets

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Weird game. Some unusual things happened:

Refs called all of Gordon's fouls on his drives to the basket
    MDA properly using timeouts
    Despite our usual 4th quarter defensive meltdown we made some plays on the other end to prevent the collapse
    The team played hard and motivated in general throughout the game

Harden/Westbrook and Capela have to keep this going when they get back and hopefully the role players will follow suit.

We'll see if this ends up being something the team builds from, or just a random blip in a long NBA season.

bro2044, amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

got ya.
    it's quite ez to be a players' coach. as long as team kept winning, everyone would have fun. if not, coach got to handle it.
    small ball need ball more movement and better shot selection, unfortunately ball in our backcourt tandem's hands, once stuck in, game plan failed, nobody would be happy. and that's the time MDA need to talk to his star players...but he might not be that kind of coach (be willing to intervene it)
    Type A: pop, iron wrist
    Type B: Phil, zen
    Type C: MDA, free fall

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I didn't post during the game just wanted to say how proud I am of this team. Games like that are why I never stopped believing in how good this team can be.

I doubted Mike D before the game not starting hartenstein and happy to say he made me look foolish. The game plan was great and the players executed it to near perfection. Utah is one the toughest places to play in the league and we still played with a ton of confidence without three starters.

EGO was off the charts good. He outplayed Donovan Mitchell. When I saw his tweet I liked our chances. It wreaked of over confidence. It looked like a guy who just got word James and Russ were out. He thought he would be the one to drop 50 and dedicate it to Kobe. WRONG bro!

Big contributions from AR and house also. I still think house will get back to what he was. We are still figuring some things out, but we have Westbrook and Ego playing well. Once we get James going again everything else will come together . I would rather peak in April and May than january.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

@Williamson what is happening I log in to clutchfans only to see i get no likes, not a single one?
    is the site down or what?

DeBeards and Williamson like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Someone was certainly happy with hou after last night :eek:

Deuce, HP3, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Must have been. There is no other plausible explanation. I only had 1. Something is definitely amiss.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

homers gonna home. HOMERS GONNA HOME, G*DMMIT!!