1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Click2Houston] "Ike" Students Skip School To Protest Immigration Plan (w/video)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

insane man.. yeah, it would be hard to send them all back.. that's 11 million people..

just seems wrong to me that they'd get to become legal while other people are trying to go through the process.. not sure what kind of penalty would be feasible though..

but would they even all come forward to become legal.. and have to then pay taxes etc?

I think the common myth is that they are all working for under minimum wage etc.. these people aren't all working for below minimum wage

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What about the resent of the people here? I guess that isn't important
    what about those that did it the 'right way'? I guess that isn't important

The issue is. . it sets a bad precedent
    If this is the way it is going to be . . . and remember this isn't just Mexicans

We have a history of turning back Cubas and Hatians etc.
    Perhaps if they were to sale to mexico and then come in that way
    it would be better for them . . .

If we go on like this. . our immigration laws don't mean JACK
    because
    what is the consequence if you circumvent them? No much at all
    you don't even get deported now

Rocket River

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I strongly disagree. Since these folks ARE here illegally, they need to be on their best behavior. If they get detained for even a minor offense, they WILL get deported. So obviously, these are law abiding people.

Since these folks are playing a HUGE role in American society, to simplify the topic by saying they are "illegal" and thats that so they are scum and should be deported is a GROSSLY simplified answer to a complicated issue.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I hate how they're marching with a Mexican flag....shouldnt they have an American flag?

5. insane man

insane man Member

i just dont think its feasible. i completely understand your viewpoint. but theres something to be said for being pragmatic. i honestly think if we force them to take english classes/US history etc that would be way more beneficial for everyone.

i think thats a myth. sure illegal workers probably dont pay payroll taxes but they pay local taxes just like i do. and them not paying payroll taxes is as much the fault of the employer as theirs if not more.

your probably right. i dont know. i'd imagine all of them aren't working under the minimum wage. i'd hope not. but im sure the percentage of legal immigrants working for under minimum wage is practically insignificant but illegal immigrants probably are disproportionately working for under the minimum wage.