1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Click2Houston] "Ike" Students Skip School To Protest Immigration Plan (w/video)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Aren't those all consequences of breaking the law? Am I honestly supposed to feel sorry for someone subjecting themselves to bad conditions because they don't want to be caught, as they are breaking the law?

2. Icehouse

Ahead of all the law abiding, wanna be legal immigrants trying to get into the country? How can you say you are law abiding when you aren't here legally? Hi...I'm a law abiding illegal immigrant. Hi, I'm an honest liar.

3. Icehouse

Good post. My main issue (at least about giving illegals citizen type rights) is giving the middle finger to everyone trying to do it the "right way". That's just not fair....

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

There are few black/white issues in the world. As soon as you realize that context and grey areas exist with virtually every known subject except binary math, then we can continue to have honest conversations.

Here is an exercise:
    Give me a "rule" and I'm sure we can find an exception to it.

I hate how the Republicans have framed every issue to be right or wrong ...either you are with us or against us. Life just doesn't work like that.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

At one point I did, and I don't remember how much it was, but it was for a short period of time. However, I went to school during that time, and found me a decent job (not mowing lawns or in construction, but I did not take anyone's job)... I WAS illegal. I quickly fixed that. It wasn't difficult. I just don't see how the $1000 fine is fitting...

6. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

cause that equals $12 billion.

7. Icehouse

I'm not saying this is a black/white issue in whole. But folks here illegaly are clearly here illegaly. That aspect (as far as breaking the law to be here) is as black and white as it gets.

8. HaYnBoi

HaYnBoi Member

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i think if you knowingly employ them then yes, but if you just know them, and don't turn them in... i'm not sure.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

It is simple, you reward illegal immigrants with opportunities for permanent residence, you are actually encouraging more people to come here illegally and it doesn't solve any problems.

And it is extremely unfair for those legal immigrants.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure why people keep pushing this angle - the types of low-wage jobs that illegal immigrants do is a world apart from the type of job that the person with the means to go through the legal immigration process, who tend to be more educated than the average american, would seek. Legal immigrants benefit from paying lower prices jsut like everybody else.

12. Icehouse

We keep pushing that angle because it's a valid point. Just because someone coming here illegaly is willing to take a cheap job still doesn't mean that the person isn't here illegaly. It still doesn't make it fair to the person trying to abide by the law in place and get here legally. Taking a low paying job is not a requirement to become a citizen.

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Except for the many who drive around with no license... insurance etc..

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

some areas might be different but i thought you couldn't get a license etc ...

may be wrong on that.. but ive heard stories of them getting in trouble for not having a license.. i assume because you can't get one.. not quite positive

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

after looking. it appears maybe some states might honor foreign drivers license...

but i dont know about the whole insurance deal etc..

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any who break the law should be held accountable. But the issue you bring is another reason to issue driver's license reagardless of citizenship status. That way they could have license and insurance. They could legally drive family to school, hospitals etc.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it might be a reason to change the process of being able to work here legally. That is a huge part of what the demonstrations have been about in the first place.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's see . . .get on a list for years maybe a decade waiting
    or
    go and be a gardener for a year and then get legal . .then get your hire
    paying job with no hassles about a visa?

hhhmmmm

Rocket River

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

franchise..

true, I dunno... I'm not fully decided on how to handle this topic.

I want illegal immigration stopped badly.. just not sure how to handle the ones that are already here, I don't like the idea of them ended up getting to be legal when they broke the law to come here and so many others didn't break the law and are trying to get here legally...

at the same time though there are 11 million of them so I don't know what you'd do with them all.

20. insane man

insane man Member

you simply can't send them back. and you can't jail them. so if they're going to stay here you have to incorporate them into the society. otherwise your creating massive resentment as well as hurting future generations who will easily become as american as any of us.