1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Click2Houston] "Ike" Students Skip School To Protest Immigration Plan (w/video)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What Exactly are they protesting?
    What do they want?

Rocket River

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are protesting the recent house immigration legislation. They want that measure defeated as well as a way for law abiding, hard working illegal immigrants to gain legal status in this country.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: To what end - Should basically anyone who wants to come .. be able to?

We are talking about Millions of people here

QUESTION: If they get that . .. . what is the point of the LEGAL Process
    It seems rather than go through immigration . . you should simple get in illegally and get in the back door . .. much simpler and you won't get turned down

Rocket River

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Even when I was in high school, I never understood what a walk out would accomplish. Do they think that the congressmen are going to suddenly think, "Oh my God, high school kids are walking out of class!!!! What in the blue hell were we thinking????" and then change the bills?

I agree with the sentiment that they are doing it as an excuse to get out of class and by publicizing it, all the media has done is give more kids an excuse to get out of class for a day.

As far as illegal immigration is concerned, I am very against it. It makes it harder for people (like my girlfriend) who are trying to do it the right way. I'm sorry if it sucks in Mexico but that's a YP not an MP. We have enough issues to deal with other than making Mexico a better place to live.

Also, the people who say that the illegals are coming to America because they love our country are full of crap. They love Mexico but are using our system to make their lives better. There are countries all over the world that are in worse shape than the US and even worse than Mexico, that doesn't mean it is our responsibility to help them.

Illegals often do NOT pay taxes and work for money under the table so that they can circumvent our tax system. Sales tax on items purchased is not enough. Of course while they pay little to no tax, they are not afraid to use our medical care and/or other systems in place to help them get by.

If they want to come to America to work, apply for a Visa like everyone else has to. It is not an easy process but unfortunately that is how our government has set it up and if they want to be here that is how they have to do it.

This really pisses me off because my girlfriend does EVERYTHING right and they make it difficult as hell on her. We have had two instances where she came close to having to go home all because of the bull**** red tape but WE WORKED IT OUT. WE DID THE RIGHT THING and if for some reason it didn't work out SHE WOULD HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING AND GOTTEN ON A PLANE AND WENT HOME TO SWEDEN. She is someone who does love the United States and does respect our laws. She has a decent job, she pays taxes, and has her own medical and other insurances in case something happens. Sweden picks up the tab for almost any emergency that may occur therefore our government is not going to have to foot her bill. She is an example of how a foreigner should be in our country.

I have no doubts that the majority of the illegals in the US are decent, hard-working (probably more hard-working that many Americans) people. If I met some of them I'm sure we could be friends and that I would feel for their story. That does NOT make it right and it does not make it any easier for people that are trying to do things the right way.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Illegals are not entitled to the rights afforded US citizens and LEGAL foreign residents by the constitution. Therefore, they have no right.

#65 Aceshigh7, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Easy, there, Cowboy. I was paying taxes and rightfully getting an education while I was "illegal", although I crossed legally and was protected under a family unity law that said that my "citizen" parents did support me. I don't see where your "they have no right" therefore statement comes from... I did have rights while I wasn't a resident. There is, however clarity in your statement that illegals are not entitled to some stuff...

I agree with some points you make but in others, you're way off on the right... dang this terminology...

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Swoly, if you came here protected by law and crossed legally, by definition you aren't illegal. At least that's what I would assume.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You can cross legally but fall out of status with INS and then therefore be illegal.

9. halfbreed

True. However, I would assume Swoly didn't fall out of status with the INS.

10. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Houston's finest at their best right now, makes me sick!

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

The Mexican invasion, coming to a town near you.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Louisiana's defenses must be amazingly strong.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Nobody in their right mind would want to invade Louisiana.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Dam they make good gumbo though.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Seems to me if they are here illegally.. they aren't law abiding..

16. halfbreed

Reminds me of a sign at one of the protests:

"Somos ilegales no criminales"

[We're illegals not criminals]

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

We can argue about if we think that we should allow more people from Mexico into the country.. etc...

But do most of us agree that we need to at least stop the illegal flow.. in other words, if we are going to allow people to come into the country..at least have it done in a legal way so that we have them documented?

a wall is fine by me.. I don't want people coming here without us knowing it..

The vast majority of people from Mexico that come here are decent people and work hard.. but I want to know they are here ..

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They may have came here illegally, but since their arrival they have been law abiding.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

We aren't talking about Illegals. You mentioned checking every single person at the LA march. I know for a fact that some of those their were perfectly legal.

You advocated violating the rights of AMerican citizens, but then called people who want to live in this country un-American.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The point is to have a legal process that can change when it wasn't effective, or necessary. I think if they pass a new measure, that would speed up the immigration policy, the first people who should get in under the new process would be those who are following the legal steps and waiting. Speed those immigrants up, and then deal with those that are already here, and working, and lastly deal with those that want to come in.

I don't care how many come in, as long as they are able to find work, willing to work, or have family that are already citizens.

When alcahol was illegal but they decided to make it legal again, it wasn't as if the fact that some people already had alcahol and that was about to make it ok that they broke the law, stopped them. When laws are broken they need to be fixed.