1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Click2Houston] "Ike" Students Skip School To Protest Immigration Plan (w/video)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SwoLy-D, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

http://www.click2houston.com/news/8293383/detail.html

Students Skip School To Protest Immigration Plan
    Senate To Take Up Issue Tuesday

POSTED: 11:53 am CST March 27, 2006
    UPDATED: 12:16 pm CST March 27, 2006

HOUSTON -- Hundreds of northwest Houston high school students walked out of class Monday to protest in the streets over efforts in Congress to crack down on illegal immigrants, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Students at Eisenhower High School started their protest march at their school, located at 7922 Antoine, and planned to end it at Interstate 45.

The House passed measures that would make being an undocumented immigrant a felony and erect a 700-mile fence along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border.

Many of the students said immigration reform hits close to home and they believe that it would be unfair.

"This is a country of immigrants. How are you just going to make a law and tell them to leave? You can't just do that," a student said.

"We're the hardest working people in the country and they're trying to take us away," another student said.

Lawmakers said the stricter regulations are necessary to improving homeland security and economic strength.

The students said the decision to walk out of school was made Monday morning.

Students at four Dallas-area schools also walked out of class in protest.

The Senate takes up the issue Tuesday.

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

That reminds me of the South Park episode where the students who wanted to participate in the demonstration against the war got out of school and the students who didn't want to participate had to "stay and do boring math problems."

Surprisingly, all the students decided to join the protest.

Edit: I also like the "country of immigrants" line. 85% of Americans were born here and most of their original American ancestors immigrated here legally.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

At least some young people are making a political statement. Sometimes I think college students today don't realize what is even going on in the world. At least these high students, and future voters, are expressing an opinion. The school can always take away a school holiday later in the year to make up for the missed day.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

That'll teach those stupid Mongowians.

5. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

The U.S. should erect an entire fence in the south of the border. Name another modern, wealthy, western country that has such a ridiculously open border as America. Europe and Japan take their national borders seriously and don't just let millions of illegals to pour into their country without consequence.

Ship all the illegal immigrants out and bring an influx of LEGAL immigrants into this country to take up the slack of losing cheap labor. Only bring in people who are devoted to America and that do not have dual allegiances to other countries. You have all these immigrant groups here who segregate to themselves, refuse to speak the English language, and don't even consider themselves as "Americans."

The current ideal of multiculturalism is a pox on America and is destroying the unity of the people here, as well as increasing the racial tensions in this country. That is why we should screen all incoming immigrants, and choose from only the cream of the crop and not from the dregs of society. Choose from the smart and educated. Choose people that will have loyalty only to the United States and will consider themselves to be Americans after they arrive in this country. Choose immigrants that will not segregate themselves to only one group of people and having loyalty to only a certain race or group. I’m sick and tired of liberals defining what race is in this country; no wonder America is such a divided country racially.

BTW, this is coming from an immigrant himself, so don’t go flaming me for being a racist because of my views.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Didn't you start a longish thread awhile back droning on about how you hated living in the US and wanted to move? Coming from an immigrant, and a potential emigrant, I do find this odd.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think it's racist to believe in assimilation. It's a different school of thought on cultural conflicts.

The reason I have a problem with some of its proponents is that they encourage mutliculturalism by living in gated communities and suburbs. If the wealthy upper middle class voluntarily segregates themselves from the minority population, who's to blame for these minorities failure to assimilate? Like the whole education and welfarce system, do we just expect the government to pick up the pieces?

In the 1800s, the US didn't receive the cream of the crop in immigrants, though the % influx per population is very similar to the rate we have now. The main difference from back then to now is that their children were able to assimilate without question of their past legacy.

I used to believe in assimilation too. The inconsistencies with its ideals were greater than "the proof" of my parents succeeding in this country...or my success of being an American for that matter.

8. surrender

surrender Member

The problem in the US is that we have quotas on immigrants (which is poor economic policy), so demand for entry far outstrips the positions available. I'm all for making immigrants come in legally, as long as we lift the quotas.

Ooh, big flowery words meant to stir up emotion! Prove it.

9. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

The United States is no longer the country it used to be. I'm disappointed in the way the country is headed both culturally and politically. Am I the only one here who is saddened by the situation the country now finds itself in, mired in debt, loss of many of our basic constitutional freedoms, loss of basic rights and the decline of any morals or decency left in our society.

The basic family unit in America has now become the single parent and not the traditional nuclear family that prevailed in past decades. Our society has degenerated into such crassness and rudeness that I can barely watch television anymore without cringing with horror at what is being called entertainment these days.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I love America but its getting to the point I'm thinking of moving out of the country. As an American citizen, all I'm saying is that we need to close our borders and only bring in people that can contribute in a positive way to our country and not bring in all the problems we are seeing now.

As for me being an emigrant, lets just say I’m miles apart from the traditional illegal immigrant coming into the country. I’m a highly skilled, college educated, English speaking worker that pays taxes on time and someone who has never committed a single crime in my lifetime. I’m far different from the situation that you want to compare me to an illegal.

10. surrender

surrender Member

Also, is the part about Europe true? I drove from Spain to Portugal and back this past summer, and there wasn't even a border crossing - just blue signs saying "PORTUGAL" and "ESPAÑA". When flying from Paris to Barcelona or taking a train from Paris to Brussels, I didn't have to go through immigration at the airports/train stations, either.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think we should erect a giant invisible shield around the entire country so that nothing could come or go. It would be like a perfect bubble of peace. Sigh.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Isn't it simplistic to blame all that is wrong on illegal immigration? This debate has raged since America's open door immigrant policy, and it never ceases to die. If Americans didn't have the guts to accept change, you might've had to come here with strings attached such as not being in contact with white women.

If the decay started from within, will spending billions on closing and enforcing the borders solve everything? Or will we put the premium to sustain the blame on the illegal immigrants who find way to slip through the cracks?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG]

would you believe a cone of silence

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

jisangNY1, I completely agree with you. You are not alone man, trust me.

15. surrender

surrender Member

Furthermore, blaming the decline of morality on immigrants is absurd, since hispanic immigrants tend to be:

a) very religious
    b) very family-oriented

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

From what I understand traveling between them is easy, but becoming a citizen of one is difficult. Especially ones that have a lot of government sponsered beneifts like health and education.

Regarding the immigration issue, I know it's not an easy thing to do but the best way to keep illegal immagrants from coming here would be to help the economy of Mexico so people don't have a reason to come here.

If you take the money you would spend building a wall along the border and the money to pay the people to watch it and sent it to Mexico as an aid package it would be more effective. It would take a long time to see results and it wouldn't eleminate illegal immagration completely but I beleive it would reduce it quite a bit. The biggest problem would be making sure corrupt or already weathly people didn't get the money and keep it for themselves.

#16 DrLudicrous, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no western european country is probably in the position of the u.s. with such a poor country right on its border. everything to the south of us is basically poor. what euro country can say that?

18. surrender

surrender Member

Um, the EU borders a bunch of poor Eastern European countries.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Most of the med countries are a hop skip and jump away from Africa & the mideast.

20. surrender

surrender Member

The process of getting EU citizenship isn't much different than getting US citizenship (except in special circumstances - for example, you can automatically get Spanish citizenship if one of your parents is a citizen), but there's one big difference:

None of those countries have immigration quotas.