1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens to resign with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstonrocketss, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Cameron was a terrible hitter last year...but Shea isnt exactly the best place for a hitter. Defensively, Cameron isn't much worse than Beltran IMO....but his offense is lacking. I'd rather see us get Wynn instead of helping the Mets clear room for more offense.

2. PeePz590

PeePz590 Contributing Member

I like Burnitz better then Cameron

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are probably right about that. With Berkman being the main production, he could have a monster season. He will probably walk about 150 times. Whomever is hitting behind him will have to be productive. I wonder if they don't hit Berkman 3rd and Bagwell 4th just to give Lance some protection.

I think we will see the return of Astros smallball, at least until May. Who knows, maybe this team will respond to it and win some games. As long as the pitching is adequate, I don't see a reason why they can't be in contention for the playoffs.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I can understand why some people would have an opinion like this although I disagree.

For the people that think like this:

Do you think the addition of one single player (Beltran) would have changed this much? In my opinion, in baseball one single player is not going to turn a lineup of crap into a WS contender.

I believe the lineup was decent, and plugging in Burnitz, Cameron, or name your CF, will still be a decent lineup. We are not going to win with hitting ... we are going to have to do it with pitching. And if we have a rotation of Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte, Backe, and 5th starter. I think we can compete. I'm not saying we are gonna win the WS, but I don't think we are going to be cellar-dwellars either.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

none of those guys can bat 2nd and be productive....and give us the baserunning that Carlos gave us...there is a huge difference in saying, "well, x can replace Y because x will still give us almost as many HRs and RBIs". The difference is that our lineup was very hard to pitch around and Carlos was a table setter. Granted, we don't have Kent BUT, Burnitz could have come in and replaced some of the rbis and hr's because he wouldnt have to do anything he hadnt ever done before...and that is drive in runs.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are going to talk about Clemens, fine. If you are going to talk about 1000 other things do it in the proper place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.