1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens to resign with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstonrocketss, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houstonrocketss

Will be announced soon.......

This is it though his last season ever It's not my source but someone close to the Clemens family has stated that his wife has even told him he owes this to the Fans and the Astros organization....Andy had some help in this......

We are not dead in the water yet.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That'd be awesome. I really didn't expect it after the Beltran fiasco.

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I will believe it when I see it.

Who is your source?

This **** where people say these things a month early with a 50/50 chance of being right is getting really really old.

4. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

hope your right..

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

This is all nice and dandy. I'd like to believe you, but, well, anyone can come along and say stuff like this. Nothing against you, just, anyone with an account can start posting "rumors as truths".

Anyway, I hope to god you're right though. :p

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sheesh, how many times did someone here post that a "source" said Beltrash would resign in Houston?

I'll believe it when I see it. I won't get fooled again.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

If you're right, I will happily eat my words :)

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I figured he would, he came to play with Andy, he has a sweet deal where he gets to stay home and be with his family when he is not pitching.

I think this is probably accurate.

DD

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That will fill 1 hole. Now they just need a good starting CF, a 4th or 5th starter, 2 more good RPs, and someone to make up for the loss of 95 homers and 60 steals in our opening day lineup.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

and the 200 plus rbis

10. SamCassell

300+, counting Berkman.

11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Two words.................Chuckie Carr, if he can't help us, who can?

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Why does everyone think we need to make up for all that offense?

1) We went on our run last year with Oswalt, Clemens, Backe for a SHORT bit, and scrubs. This year, we add Pettite and a season of Backe (who will be decent at least) to that. So: pitching, improved over the team that went on the late-season run.

2) IF we can get someone to play center, defense improved by putting Biggio or Burke at 2nd over Kent and having new person in center. Someone with more range at 2nd makes our up the middle defense solid, and no holes on the field. Well, if Biggio is back in LF that would be the only hole, but one we had last year also.

3) Overall team speed somewhat increased. Yeah, no Beltran. But if this CF (I'm using a Randy Winn model..someone with defense and some speed) comes, and then Burke or Biggio at 2nd, and Lane isn't super-slow...I think it's an overall increase.

This team will be built for small ball. Pitching, defense, speed. Power not an absolute necessity, but will get some out of bagwell, a lot out of berkman (who will miss a month at most), a decent amt from lane, and spot power from biggio or burke and ensberg.

Real need for improvement is getting that unnamed CF, improving the backup C so ausmus only plays 3 out of 5 days (and thereby improving out overall hitting at that spot), getting a solid 4 or 5 starter (pending Rocket)

Don't worry so much about the power replacement at the moment..

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I agree .. I don't think we are going to be near as bad off as everyone thinks if we can get Clemens and possibly Burnitz.

I'm really hoping we have a situation like the Braves where they were so good for so long. After they lost their big name players they were able to pull some guys that were not everyday players and turn them into good MLB players and have a productive season. Hopefully that will be the situation Lane and Burke.

Adding Pettite is a big plus.

Increased defense at 2nd will be a big plus.

Increased defense at SS will be a big plus getting Adam Everett back, and don't forget that it looked like his bat was starting to come around about the time he got injured.

I really think this whole season will ride on the health of the starting pitchers.

14. SamCassell

Spin it how you want, add in your unnamed CF, and here's your lineup.

Biggio
    Burke
    Bagwell
    Lane
    Ensberg
    (Unknown CF)
    Everett
    Ausmus
    (pitcher)

That's not a lineup that will score runs. Little power. Only Bags draws alot of walks. And except for this mystery CF and Burke, it's not a lineup with any speed. I'm not even sure that defense/speed CF exists on the FA or trade market. The defense will improve at one position (2B) and get worse at 1 position (CF).

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why isn't Berkman in there?

I see it potentially as this

Biggio
    Burke
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Burnitz
    Ensberg
    Everett
    Ausmus

Not that bad.

16. Luis Alvarez

Luis Alvarez Member

finally good news

what about mike camron for cf has asked the mets to trade him

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Cameron just had wrist surgery and isn't scheduled to come back until sometime in May. When healthy, he is a defensive genious in CF and can hit the ball a long way. He does strike out a lot and does not get on base very much. He has also been hitting in the .230 range the last couple of years.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This would soften the blow, but we still need another bat...

19. SamCassell

I was just talking opening day lineup. Berkman will help immensely, but we'll struggle to score runs with him out of the lineup.

20. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

that lineup is crap. you have forgotten that ausmus, biggio, and everett all cant hit for ****, and i'm going to go out on a limb and say that chris burke aint hittin for.300 either. oh, and bagwell is a year older and berkman is coming off of major knee surgery. i wish i had a pair of the rose-colored glasses that you all do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.