1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Civil responses only] Why are people racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 5, 2020.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That is the question. What motivates people to act in racist ways? Personally, I prefer to see people as humans, and the level of melanin in their skin does not matter to me. I believe all people are created equal, as the famous words of the Declaration of Independence states, and that all should be treated equal.

So what drives people to be racist?

• Is it due to other races' cultures? (music, dress, hobbies, etc.)
    • Is it due to patterns of violence?
    • Is it because of certain groups wanting to maintain power?
    • Family values?
    • Religion?
    • The media and politicians' identity politics? Constantly looking to divide people up and seek "fixed pie gains" for their own specific group?
    • Ignorance or lack of interaction with people of different races, leading to suspicions around intentions?
    Why?

2. dmoneybangbang

Because people need someone or a group to look down their nose at.

Look at how much entitlement Trump has brought to surface. Many folks seem to think they have a brith right because of where they were born/the color of their skin.

OP is a known racist.

IBTL likes this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I was somewhat with you on your first sentence, kind of with you on the second sentence (which speaks to a group wanting to maintain power), and then of course you didn't keep it civil, tossing the race card at me in the last sentence. Let's keep it civil. I'm honestly curious as to why people act racist.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Ignorance and intolerance.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think a more general question would be appropriate. Something like "why does in-group/out-group tension exist?"

And to that, I would say it's probably usually ignorance, which leads to fear. And where it's not from ignorance, it's likely from a feeling of inadequacy, which also leads to fear.

Using a purposefully-silly example, I don't know much about snakes so I just stay away from them and don't want them around because I have no idea what to expect. Also, I do not want to compete with a grizzly bear for dinner, because I know he would annihilate me with ease, so I avoid grizzly bears in any scenario where we would have to be competitive.

Rather than admitting that 1) I have been too lazy to educate myself on snakes and 2) I lacked the forethought to bring my own food for camping, it is much easier to just say "damn I hate snakes and bears... they ruin everything!"

jboslett likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

How about you tell yourself about your motivations?

Upbringing? Sense of entitlement? Moral superiority? Or just need someone to blame?

jboslett and jiggyfly like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Idk , just think about why Floyd was such a sub human being to you that you had to go out of your way to Justify his death. Starting with yourself is probably a good place

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Racism in America should have ended in 1936 when Jesse Owens stuck it to Hitler.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

To kick things off why don't you tell us from your own experience what made you become a racist.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Humans are Tribal

We won't solve it. We can decrease it.

The only way Humans will associate with other humans as a species is when another species will come to destroy the humans

[​IMG]

IBTL and JumpMan like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

’cause everybody’s gotta have somebody to look down on
    Who they can feel better than at any time they please
    Someone doin’ somethin’ dirty decent folks can frown on
    If you can’t find nobody else, then help yourself to me...

-- Kris Kristofferson

Nook and Deji McGever like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

And nature and nurture.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Racism comes from all kinds of different places. There is no single source. But for me, when I see an outward racist in this day and age, one that isn't fearful to let it be known to anyone who is ready to listen, but casually hides it behind a veil of politics, I often see an entitled person that would rather hold others down than work hard to lift themselves up. It seems to be a common thread lately.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why people were racist and why people still are racist likely have different answers.

I recommend reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_United_States as a starter.

Ultimately, 1600s mercantilism and European colonialism required huge amounts of labor. Black Africans were enslaved and the process was practically industrialized and science of the time propagated that this was justified based on inherent superiority of people of white European stock compared to others.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Look in the Mirror and Tell us what you see and say.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Interactions with others from another race that don't go well. Black person who gets called a n** from a white person. White person who gets robbed by a black person. If you rarely interact with people from another race these few negative interactions become a blanket sentiment towards all.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

nurture sure

nature?

biggest factor probably is parenting

18. Buck Turgidson

People are still tribal by nature. There's been studies on this, they've even been posted in the D&D already. Not sure I totally agree, but I'm not going to discount it.

19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

As a defender of Trump. Why don’t you answer that question yourself

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see and they do interact with each other. I was coming from... Tribalism is loyalty / bondage to a group. Racism is a belief that some race is superior or inferior.