1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 12, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit. I will say I was a little disappointed in the mix between music and dialogue. I really struggled to understand what people were saying sometimes and dialogue is very rapid fire in this movie.

It did feel like a movie of two halfs. The first half things are interesting but the audience is kept largely in the dark about exactly what is going on. Second half it starts to make more sense (though still very mind blowing in a lot of ways) and you can follow it better. I'm going to have to watch this movie at least 2-3 more times before I fully understand how everything works, but from what I could see, despite the weird time shenanigans, it felt pretty tight, plot-wise.

3. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Anyone catch this yet? Saw it last night at the theater (a very eerily empty theater but that’s another topic of conversation). I THINK it was a cool movie but man the plot was so convoluted and the dialogue was near impossible to understand. Would have been nice to have subtitles. After reading a bunch of explanations today I think it’s starting to make some sense but still having a hard time understanding the technical aspects of the main premise of the movie. Sometimes I think Nolan out-Nolans himself

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Saw it in Dolby so that helped with the sound issues. The film felt more like a Bond movie at time. I'm gonna have to watch this film multiple times to break down the theory and nail down all the possibilities in the plot. Amazing work by Nolan once again and I love the challenge watching this movie is. This might be the film that launches John David Washington into superstardom. He was amazing and so was R Pats. It's crazy how John has some of the voice cadence and pitch of Denzel. Freaked me out a bit.

Kim likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno if anyone watched Ballers (show on HBO with Dwayne Johnson) but he was really good in that, too!

Uprising likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He was good in Black Klansman. Didn't realize he was Denzel's son until I read a review.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nolan probably designed it all for theatrical release so the sound will be garbly on streaming. It's still hard to watch some of his Batman movies with streaming.

Bane: asdfkjeiadoi dfksjowesaocispt!
    Gordon: mumble mumble (shakes head)

Batman: (yelling angrily but incoherently)

*something explodes*

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One thing I could not get past in all those movies was The Batman Voice -- why does he start talking like that he sounds ridiculous.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was really struck by that in rewatching TDK recently. Wow, is it stupid. I really want to hear the Nolan-Bale conversations about it.

CN: Chris, do you like death metal?
    CB: No, why? And don't call me Chris.
    CN: Well, okay, do you remember the cookie monster, Christian? Do you think you could sound like that?

10. donkeypunch

Bale got progressively louder, deeper and raspier every movie. It was a weird concept they had going. Also DKR is such an overrated movie. Nolans best movie by FAR is Dunkirk.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Interstellar and Inception are my favs, but Dunkirk is the best movie overall IMO -- I love Memento, but it was so strange I started watching it recently for the first time since it came out and I couldn't believe how dated it felt -- it came out in 2000 but seemed like an early nineties movie.

B-Bob and donkeypunch like this.
  12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ugh, not sure if I want to go to a movie where I have to see it 3 times to comprehend it. In addition to the trippy plot, I recall Nolan's voice clarity issues with Bane in TDKR and how it needed a post-production edit before wide release after test audiences couldn't hear. Might need some closed captioning.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  13. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

without going into details of why, it was definitely worth a watch - especially considering the lack of options for movie theaters these days. big bonus that me and the wife had the theater to ourselves.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Could he be the new Black Panther? ;)

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched it this weekend on Imax, I liked it but didn't love it. Visually and action wise it's incredibly well done, the story is aggressively mysterious but it starts to make more sense once you settle in.

It really is the type of movie that will take a few views to catch on all the tidbits you missed the first time around, that being said if you have any experience with Trek or Dr Who time travel stories you shouldn't be too lost.

My biggest issues with the movie is that the characters have very little depth, they are there to move the plot but we don't really find out anything about them throughout....

Thought it was a solid B+

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Had the sound issues....

C+ for me as the sound issues made the plot that much more convoluted. The plots makes total sense after I read a recap and I'll definitely watch it again. I feel like I would have given it an A- or B+ if not for the sound issues.

B-Bob and Kim like this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I finally got around to seeing it. I wanted to make sure the theaters were going to be empty.

Voice clarity was an issue for me as well. This is what we get when the director is trying to get as close to reality as possible. And it wasn't limited to the mask scenes either.

I agree with a previous comment that this felt more like a Bond flick. Nolans attempt at 'time dilation' in this film was less interesting than Interstellar and Inception. I felt Nolan was a bit liberal on how easy and how often one could invert time. Overall a fun flick but I think the casual watcher will struggle to keep up with all of the timelines..

B-Bob likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

TDK directors cut that addresses the voice/sound issues.

FrontRunner, KingCheetah and Kim like this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Thank you for that gem, that led to this gem:

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Saw this at the Alamo. Hurray for empty Sunday morning theaters. I think I'm more confused after watching it than before.

Effects were well done at least.