1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Why Barry Chose Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Jul 17, 2008.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Didnt see it posted

July 17, 2008, 12:00AM
    Rockets' offense, potential appeal to Barry
    Veteran believes he can go out with a bang in Houston

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Some chase the money. But Barry has made his share.

The NBA way is to seek both of the above. But Barry knew what he wanted.

He has, he guesses, two more seasons as an NBA player. He wanted to remain with a contender and said Wednesday that with good health the Rockets could be that. But he wanted his last seasons in the NBA to be with a team that would give him a chance to do the things he believes he can do, to play and play the style that might suit him best.

"I think sometimes, as you get later on in your career, you try to gain more perspective," Barry said. "I want to go out playing, and I think this is a great opportunity, something fresh to do and recharge my batteries.

"I have a couple years left. I want to throw everything I can into having two great years and making them here in Houston. In doing that, I think there are going to be some great things surrounding that. Helping this team try to get back to a championship would be something very, very special in the last two years of my career."

Barry, 36, considered joining the Rockets in midseason when the San Antonio Spurs traded him to Seattle and the SuperSonics released him.

In San Antonio, the Spurs had players who could create off the dribble and needed Barry to spread the floor and make 3-pointers. The Rockets have few playmakers, but they could use Barry's ability to create within the cuts and ball movement of the Rockets' planned motion-based offense.

More chances to make plays
    The style of offense was such a factor that Barry said it dominated his conversations with his brother, Jon, who played for Rick Adelman in Sacramento.

"Obviously, we all know he can shoot the ball," Adelman said. "He's a great 3-point shooter. I've known and watched since Oregon State. One thing he can do is make plays. Smart players read situations well and make the right pass. He can handle the ball more than he had to in San Antonio, as far as making plays for other people. A lot of what we do, if you read the defense and react, you will be successful. He does that naturally.

"Even with Yao (Ming) and Tracy (McGrady), if he gets the ball, we know he can make a 3, but he can also make the next pass, make the next play. We struggle when, if Tracy does not make a play, no one does. That's where Brent I think really helps us."

A 13-year veteran, Barry has made 40.7 percent of his 3s in his career, averaging 9.7 points and 3.3 assists. He did not play or score as much in San Antonio as he had in his five seasons in Seattle, but he's likely to play more here.

"It's about getting to do more of those things more often," Barry said. "I think that's the appeal of it: the opportunity to do more and more of those things. It's more of a style I'm accustomed to, to play the way the Rockets play. It's something I've done in the past. To get back to that is an exciting thing.

"The style of the offense is set up with the high post passing and more movement out on the perimeter. ... I know the town in Houston is a little bit antsy. The injuries the past couple years have really been what's holding the team back. If the team stays healthy this year, this team will compete on a championship level. And that's something really exciting."

Lineage not the reason
    Barry likely will uphold the family tradition of finishing his career with the Rockets as his father Rick and brother Jon did. But that was not the draw.

"It's interesting the way things happen sometimes," Barry said. "I'm just looking for the opportunity to play. It has nothing to do with the lineage of things. I just think it's a great opportunity for me to come in and play a role for a team that's really close, I think, to breaking through and playing at a high level. That's really what the draw is.

"It was not a tough decision. You're choosing between playing for some great teams and having a great job and living the great life, but my decision was to come here and play."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

"Even with Yao (Ming) and Tracy (McGrady), if he gets the ball, we know he can make a 3, but he can also make the next pass, make the next play. We struggle when, if Tracy does not make a play, no one does. That's where Brent I think really helps us."

that's why we need a 2nd legit playmaker (alston is improving but he's not on that level).

3. ibm

ibm Member

i figured jon barry prolly played a big role in brent's decision-making. jon has played with most of the guys here, and he's played for adelman as well. if jon says something nice about 'em, brent would prolly listen.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets are planning on Brent to play more here than in San Antonio?

I hope we don't burn him out. Is he still capable of playing 20 mpg?

5. Landlord Landry

barry chose houston, because no one else did.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

He played more minutes in the Lakers series, but in the NOH series he wasn't getting many minutes at all. I can't remember how much he played against the Suns.

I think he was a tad over 15 mpg for the regular season.

7. Asian Sensation

I think Brent will quickly become a fan favorite much like Jon when he was here.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Didn't we offer him the most money? I failed to see how money isn't in Barry's consideration.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I see your point, but the difference between what the Rockets offered and the veterans minimum was only about $700k per year. For a guy who has already made tens of millions of dollars playing in the NBA, that difference isn't necessarily going to dictate his decision.

But it sure helps.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. Man

Man Contributing Member

barry's a good addition. he fits in well with our system and style of play.

however, i don't know how effective he can be. but i guess mutombo has still been keepin at it, so why not barry..:p

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

700k is what? An approximately 65% pay raise over 1.2 mil? That's pretty significant regardless.

Besides, think of all you can do with 700k. I mean, it might not be big money in the NBA, but it's big money. I know people who would quit their jobs and retire if they had 700k in the bank.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Plus, no other team was willing to give him more than 1.2m. SA didn't even make him a offer.

14. Dei

Dei Member

****... and you people want to trade Tracy...

15. blender

blender Member

I think Barry is going to have a very good year for us. Having said that, Barry as backup is going to make our third shooting guard a pivotal role.

Head or Greene must chip in five or ten minutes and take the load off McGrady and Barry during the regular season. If (and when) Barry or McGrady goes down for a stretch due to an injury - a very likely possibility - Head and Greene have to step up and keep the remaining shooting guard from wearing out.

16. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

I have lived in SA the past 5 years and remember when barry was picked up by the spurs...much excitement by spurs fans here in SA...But it was my observation from the beginning that POP never gave barry the opportunity nor the freedom to do what he excels at...In this article Barry basically says that, when he went to SA he changed his game...He become much more of an stand still shooter without a greenlight...You could tell that Barry was even hesitant at times during his tenure here in SA...Im glad he is in Houston and I truly believe that at 36, Barry can have a Renaissance of sorts in his career that demonstrates that he still has the tools that made him a great player in Seattle. I think our style will suit him much better and I’m excited that he’s a rocket. One midseason move and health and I believe we will be UNBEADABLE AGAIN

17. sleepirlo

sleepirlo Member

Business is business,money is money。
    He got the rings,so money is the most important.

18. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

some team offer barry a full mle contract,but barry declined.6m/yr is quite different from 3.9m/double years.I cherish jon's work on persuading his brother to join the rockets,where he will enjoy himself and win his third ship.

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

^^^^^^
    Source?

I want Barry to take all out of Rafer's 35% 3pt shots. He is the only Rocket who could shoot above 40% from deep.

20. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Awesome!!!

McGrady will be able to distribute it to Yao in the low block. Or he can have 40% 3 point shooter Battier on the left wing or he can chose to pass to 40% 3 point shooter Barry!!!

Double team Yao now!!! The NBA is in big trouble.

You double Yao then either Barry or Battier is open - each 40% 3 point shooters. You double McGrady, then Yao or Scola is open. I LIKE IT!!!!