1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle hires Altuve-hater as Astros beat writer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Dec 13, 2023.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still spicy in here...

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have no idea if she is a liar.

I used the word "sin" because I'm an Astros fan, and to an Astros fan that is exactly what her comments amount to.

I used it as a literary term and synonym of "action unacceptable to others", not in a religious manner.

I think that's still acceptable here.

3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I find it pathetic that somebody that roots for an organization that saw a rival city, literally, drowning and had as their first reaction, "How can we turn this into a competitive advantage?" followed by "And try and paint ourselves as the victims if they don't go for it?" actually believes they could ever have the high road on ANY subject when it comes to "respect".

leroy, Sep11ie and IdStrosfan like this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's called hyperbole, so just go away.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

She lied, so she is a liar until she repents.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Plot twist: She cheated on her last three boyfriends.

raining threes likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ok

What did she lie about?

All I know about is her stating Altuve cheated (known fact despite whether he wanted to or intended to it happened) and her opinion that he does not deserve any respect because of it.

Maybe that's irresponsible or distasteful but it's not a lie.

8. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It's a known fact? I beg to differ. Correa said he didn't cheat while admitting he did.

Regardless awful hire and hopefully they correct the mistake they made. Her opinion is completely worthless imo because all she's trying to do is get attention

9. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

In many on this forums eyes that is not remotly close to trashing our face of the franchise.
    Lol

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

OK. So are you saying that is the issue and that's why she's a liar?

Because if that's all you got I can't take you seriously.

I love the Astros but regardless of how the were singled out or what any other teams did, they cheated.

I would never call someone a cheater (or a liar) based on a fraction of their life time or choices. Being identified AS that should be based on a much more extensive percentage of your character and self.

That said, I cannot consider someone a liar if they choose to do it. It's an opinion that has some merrit.

But make no mistake, every member of the 2017 Astros team and coaching staff must acknowledge some guilt by association if nothing else.

Hey Now! likes this.
  11. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I think she's a liar, yes. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion though.

They were singled out for a reason. We both know that. Other teams were cheating and players from their organizations said it. Yankees, Boston and the Dodgers were. MLB wasn't going to burn those teams so Houston took the fall.

"Guilt by association "? I guess that means you erase every single guy from the steroid era.

Nobody is going to tell on their teammates unless you're garbage like Mike Fiers.

Her opinion has no merit. She has an agenda. We can just agree to disagree

cbass likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Her original tweet which has twisted your urine-soaked panties into a giant wad was indeed hyperbole; I agree. So, we're good here?...

13. Hey Now!

Altuve used the system. He cheated. He didn't cheat as much as others; he stopped long before others - but he absolutely, positively, 100% cheated. So, no - she's not a liar. She is - if acting in her role as a member of sports media - incredibly irresponsible. But she did not lie. Not respecting Altuve is an opinion, and opinions fuel sports media (and all media).

There really isn't anything for anyone to be crying about. And certainly no reason for it to have turned so acidic.

14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

You are speaking as you know this as a fact. My question to you would be how do you know this? If you don't work for the Astros or personally know someone on the team then it's speculation. I trust Correa's comments personally and the link you provided doesn't prove to me anything. It's an opinion that doesn't have more merit than yours or mine.

I think she's a liar, irresponsible and should lose a job she shouldn't have had to begin with.

Nobody is crying. Simply pointing out someone who can't do her job at a professional level

15. Hey Now!

I linked to it. Tony Adams' exhaustive research - which, for many, is the definitive exploration of the Astros' cheating scandal. Altuve utilized the system.

You are speaking as you know this as a fact. My question to you would be how do you know this? If you don't work for the Astros or personally know someone on the team then it's speculation. (Did I quote you correctly?)

She can't do her job on a professional level because, as a fan, she sent a hyperbolic tweet about a baseball player?........ Do you read these before hitting post? That is so incredibly silly.

16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I never said the Astros didn't cheat. We know they did. However, players have said Altuve didn't. He said it wouldn't help him. And, I have be honest, Tony Adams in nobody important

You responded to my post. This isn't a hostile conversation but a differing of opinion.

I won't get into personal insults between us. Want to keep it civil. You admitted what she did was irresponsible. So, her being irresponsible and having a personal agenda prevents her from doing her job.

17. Hey Now!

Tony's research has become the predominant source of lessening the burden on Altuve. If he eventually gets into the HoF, Adams' work - without exaggeration - will be a key component of making it happen. Several prominent, high-profile, large platform baseball writers have referenced it. I would offer he's more integral to this than she is. By, like, many, many, many miles.

It's disingenuous to claim doubt on one lie and certainty on another when both are well-beyond your (and my) level of insight/knowledge.

She has been fed - by far more prominent baseball media members - lies about Altuve (the buzzer nonsense are indeed lies). So she is not knowingly lying; she is regurgitating what she's been told. She isn't - by a long stretch - the problem. In fact, she's probably soon to be a pretty important(-ish?) ally if the team and Altuve - through words and actions - can turn her opinion. I would give her the benefit of the doubt, in terms of changing her mind and being open to it more than i would, say.... Buster Onley.

Putting common sense aside... even if she *was* knowingly lying......... who cares? Don't read her. Send the Chron a letter speaking your mind. But don't (you = generally; not necessarily you, specifically) bully, harass, threaten her and/or defend those who did under some flaccidly weak, SHE HAD IT COMING! defense. You can be mad at her and dislike her without being a vile piece of trash.

18. Qan

Qan Member

Don't you worry, she'll move on and live happily ever after.

19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Nevermind.

I denounced the people who threatened her. I also believe she should be fired and is unprofessional. Those are two different things

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right on. Who do they think they're kidding? Oh, that's right. Only the FANS.