1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle hires Altuve-hater as Astros beat writer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Dec 13, 2023.

1. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I apologize if this has already been posted on the forum, but I didn't see it.

Apparently the Houston Chronicle has hired Leah Vann as their new Astros beat writer. She is a columnist who tweeted just a month ago that Altuve did not deserve any acknowledgment of his greatness because, in her exact words, " I don't need to respect cheaters"

How this isn't a bigger news story, or how fans in Houston aren't absolutely repulsed by the move of the Chronicle, is beyond me. For this to be a news story, the chronicle would have to cover it, so obviously it's not being broadcast that they have hired an Astros hater to cover the team.

I honestly feel like Astros fans should make it known Buffalo-Wild-Wings style that what the Chronicle has done here is absolutely unacceptable.

Here is her comments on Altuve:

Here is her Twitter Profile:
    https://x.com/LVann_Sports?s=09

I hope the clutchfans community will make sure their voices are heard here.

Deckard, vince, right1 and 13 others like this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

She posted those comments less than two months ago? Kind of wild.

Deckard, vince, The Beard and 7 others like this.
  3. chrish23

Supporting Member

Exactly Clutch. It's not like it was 3 years ago. She feels this way NOW.

Feels like someone just called your mom's cooking "disgusting", and then happily accepts an invitation to her house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Rockets FTW, DVauthrin, vince and 3 others like this.
  4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

A Rangers fan lol. C'mon Chronicle.

vince likes this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's up with hiring ranger fans to be the Astros beat writer

6. chrish23

Supporting Member

Being a fan of another team growing up I can understand. Being a "Journalist" and spewing what she wrote 2 months ago is unacceptable. Altuve deserves no respect- seriously? That's your take as a media person after everything you should know by now.

They freaking made the ALCS 7 years in a row, the world Series four times, twice after all the hate from 29 other fan bases. And you can't see any good or respect that should be given to Jose Altuve. The man who put the whole scandal on his shoulders when he wasn't even the one participating in it. He's shown total class, all his teammates have gone out of their way to call out he wasn't involved, and yet you moronically write that.

There should be no room for her in Houston - plain and simple

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, the chronicle is an absolute trash tier paper. It survives solely due to a monopoly as the only major print paper in a massive market.

This is very on brand for their columnist choice in regard to the Astros. She's gonna hold her nose and follow the team. She can get in as many passive aggressive swipes as she can along the way...they seem to encourage that. Prop up the Rangers while she's at it.

I would rather have good print media that actually challenged the organization, but we don't really do that here.

DVauthrin, arkoe, vince and 10 others like this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

While I certainly don’t like that she got the job it is a terrible look bullying her online and trying to get her fired.

awc713 and Stephen66 like this.
  9. a time to chill

Being a fan of the team should not be a requirement to cover them as a journalist. Too many reporters are fanboys which is why most of their stories are written like it was produced by the team's PR department. As long as she's objective in her coverage, that's all that matters.

DVauthrin and Radricky like this.
  10. Radricky

Radricky Member

What they’re doing to this girl is gross and reflects poorly on Astros fans.

Stephen66 and punkoholic like this.
  11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Agreed but as a journalist she shouldn’t agree to the false narrative that Altuve cheated. Personally that makes her less credible I do not condone the twitter attacks on her btw

lnchan likes this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what a "sports culture reporter" is, but Matt Kawahara is still the beat writer, right? He joined the Chronicle last year to take over Chandler on the beat. He used to cover the A's, so we have two now that used to cover our intradivision foes.

13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

She shouldn’t have been hired to begin with. Someone failed to do their research. I think the question at minimum bares asking.

DVauthrin, right1, The Beard and 8 others like this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

I can’t believe I’m taking up for this chick lol
    Was she a journalist when she made those posts?
    98% of the world believes all that junk about 2017.

CVcrew likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

I hate the cowboys, Yankees, dodgers, and Steelers but if I were offered a job on those markets I’d take them.
    I’m not sure being a fan of the local team is an enforceable job requirement

16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned. I also find it funny how many white knights I've seen coming to her aid that are Astros fans. Mind you, these are same fans that are total asshats on twitter.

Dgn1, vince, ryan_98 and 6 others like this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Eff this broad. Not being a fan of the team you're covering is ok, but being an outspoken hater from a position of complete ignorance, not ok. What an awful hire. We haven't had a decent crop of writers covering the team for awhile now. She and Chandler Rome can both go to hell

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm against trashing her on social media....but every true Astros fan should be cancelling their subscription to the Chron as a form of protest. The Chron is awful anyway.

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

There's nothing wrong with taking the job but if you publicly tweeted a bunch of s*** talking, slandering the team and players you are going to start covering then you should expect people to rightfully give you s*** for it. Its sports talk, old bad takes are made fun of all the time. She literally said she respects no one on the astros, you think people in Houston are not gonna give her s*** about saying that??? LOL

The Beard, Stephen66, Qan and 7 others like this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rome wasn't great, but he didn't call the greatest Astro ever who is still the leader of the team a cheater. That does not help you build relationships inside the clubhouse. I doubt she will get the access she needs to write anything interesting.

Rome had the same issue with access.

The Beard, CVcrew and Uprising like this.