1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets aggressively pursuing Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd like to think Jimmy Butler would give buddy Harden an idea that, yes, I'd like to be in Houston, but circumstances might not allow for it, etc etc, so I'll let Morey see what he can do, if anything, etc etc.

We more than likely are not getting him. Too many hoops to leap through. I won't be F5-ing this one. It'd be nice, but we've all been There (with a capital "T") before.

Corrosion, Invisible Fan and Vivi like this.
  2. jsilencio

jsilencio Member

Water is wet.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If you look back at how the CP3 trade came about, Morey had it set up so that he could get under the cap to outright sign CP3 as a free agent, as I recall He then used that as leverage to get the Clippers to negotiate dealing Paul. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) I could see Morey attempting to do the same thing here - have a viable option of getting under the cap to sign Butler outright in order to get the Sixers to come to the negotiating table.

Vivi likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, that's true, but at that time i think (tbh now i can't remember exactly our cap situation) two years ago we could've dumped more marginal players to open up that cap space, now we would be forced to deal Chris and Capela or Gordon so, i'm not sure that could work...

topfive likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have forgotten a tad about the CP3 trade but Morey must have had more time, he is running out of time here, Butler has lots of options.

He might not know it but Philly is a very good option for him and a good fit, he is the only veteran star on that team.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way would I want to see 2 of those 3 go for Butler. Those are 3 of our best players. Butler only averaged 2 more pts a game than any if them. Give up Paul or Gordon and some picks or other players, but certainly don't give up 2 of our most productive players for him. That's absurd.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's the problem with getting Butler with cap space...i mean, unless Chris wants really out, if that's the case i think that's another story assuming you get back something for him.

8. Mr. Space City

Mr. Space City aggressively pursuing Emily Ratajkowski

luckyman76 and topfive like this.
  9. rockets13champs

Fireeee Simone photoshop her in a rockets jersey

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If you remember really the talk was about him going to San Antonio or anywhere else. It was the same deal. He was leaving for nothing or agreeing to a trade to Houston. Butler holds all the cards here. If he wants to come here it will happen. I still think we are his second choice and some of those earlier plans didn’t work out which is why he is talking to Harden. Morey having continued interest in Butler is the problem for me. Why would he do that if there was no chance? The LBJ thing was a fan only thing last year. He had been tied to the Lakers for years. No one outside of CP3 and the board took it serious.

lilbird20 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing about that is, I am sure he wants to hear out those teams who have cap space first.

That is impossible with him opting in, he has to opt out or cross the deadline to become a Free Agent, am I missing something?

He can't compare deals without becoming a FA.

Chris Paul is a firm guy and he knows what he wants, I am not so sure what Butler thinks at this moment.

#111 daywalker02, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    ksny15 likes this.
  12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I hate to say this but hear out what? Most of that is a formality which is why so many get done right at the deadline. The deals that are going to happen are being done now through the players. What’s a team going to tell him other than we will give you max money. He wanted to pair with specific star and not in Philly. He and his team have discussed his options for months and it is really a matter of musical chairs and he doesn’t want to be left without his chair. Stars don’t wait until FA to hear good or bad news. That LBJ to Cle deal held up a lot of business and agents don’t like that one bit.

lilbird20 and Corrosion like this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I actually hope they aren't done. I would hate for us to only advance after they were riddled by injuries. I want to beat them at their best and full lineup.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I just hope Jimmy is feeling the love...Rockets have been after him for at least a year, maybe even more at this point.

16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bringing her in for a workout?

18. rockets13champs

If the rockets win the championship Stephen A. In this video will regret it Bc it will be replayed multiple times

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Let me guess, SAS doesn't want to bring volatile Butler into a volatile Harden/CP locker room.

lilbird20 likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hard to say which of LAL/GS/DAL is behind this drivel

RichieBanks, luckyman76, Vivi and 2 others like this.