1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Royce White To Sit Out D-League Playoffs

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by TheSource, Apr 9, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A good portion of this years salary was deducted from his paychecks in his first half of the season. I remember just 2 or 3 months ago Royce saying in an interview that he has yet to receive a paycheck.

Also the NBA lifestyle is not cheap. Lots of expenses to take into account. He might never be broke, but he's definitely never going to be rich. The Rockets will almost certainly cut him at the end of training camp next fall, and after that he can say goodbye to anything but league min contracts or settling for a few Euros.

Whatever though.... Lesson everyone involved can learn here is it doesn't matter how hard you try, sometimes trying isnt actually the right thing for the other person. The special treatment, even though could have been legally necessary, quite possibly enabled this child(yes he is very much a kid) from ever being able to treat this opportunity as a professional adult.

Morey... Next time, just draft these guys in the second round.

2. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Isn't the RV + driver coming out of his pocket too?

3. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

Rockets need to hype him up so we can get something of value for him and trade him off to another team.

4. dobro1229

I think the Rockets are picking that up. I think its a work travel insurance liability situation that makes it complicated for Royce to actually provide his own travel arrangements.

5. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

Just hype him up as the next budding superstar of making babies. A very hard worker at that.

6. equinoxin

equinoxin Member

since he's not going to be travelling anywhere, can the rockets take it back? pretty sure thats going to get him really bothered.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good riddance to Joyce con man White.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he is a true role model NOT

9. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

No point throwing more good money after a bad draft pick. In the big scheme of things he's not making a lot so they're better off just paying him until end of next season.

Regarding his 3rd year option, I believe the Rockets would have to exercise it by 31 Oct this year. He's not going to have much chance to convince them to pick up that option since he's already missed his opportunity to play in a meaningful NBA game between now and then. Maybe they'll throw him out there in the pre-season to give him one last chance to impress, but it's obviously more about off-court than on-court issues with him.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I feel for the guy. I believe he's truly a good person inside, just confused. I wish him good luck and success on and off the field.

lol jk. **** him.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Maybe Royce White will change in that timespan. Two years is a long as time. Hell, maybe he'll even be involved in a blockbuster trade.

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yes Royce White is crazy hell...that doesn't mean we should cut him. There are a lot of crazy players that have been productive (Rodman, World Peace, ect) Not comparing them directly, but my point is the rockets will eventually put him on the court. His skillet is to unique to give up on after 1 season.

13. HL3

HL3 Member

The dude is clearly not interested in actually playing, I mean look at how he treats his baby mommas. He doesn't know how to take responsibility. The Rockets can't put him on the court, he'll ride out the rest of his contract and then get cut.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Royce in a foreign country? A guy that's afraid to fly and doesn't adapt to change well?

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Unique skillsets and talent aren't worth a hill of beans if you can't channel it into something meaningful. Every NBA player brings something unique to the table.

I think a low bar for NBA success is dominating the D-league. Plenty of people do it (DMo, TJones, Mike Harris, etc...) and the success rate of those people being a contributor in the NBA is still low.

Royce couldn't even show up and consistently contribute at the D-league level. And now he's not going to play in the playoffs.

16. dobro1229

Contractually at the October deadline before next season, the Rockets will either have to commit to him for another two seasons or decline his option(which is very, very likely).

If they do decline his option, and feel like he wont be able to capture anything in trades at the deadline a few months afterwards (also very unlikely given the risk), your best option is most likely to cut him at the end of training camp unless for some reason he just has a ridiculous summer, and looks like Lebron 2.0 out there.

I would both be very surprised if the Rockets A. DIDN'T give him a chance this Summer, and during training camp to prove them wrong, and B. NOT end up waiving him after declining his team option and decide to eat his 2013/14 salary to go ahead and part ways, and make room on the roster for someone else.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

18. alethios

alethios Member

I actually thought this was an altruistic move on his part and that he's actually putting the RGV before himself (LOL)

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Really tired of hearing his name. Can we ban mention of him from the board?

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources:Royce White's status 4 Vipers n playoffs tomorrow now to b determined.He could play.Earlier this week his status was unlikely 2 play</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/322870351153483777" data-datetime="2013-04-13T00:34:25+00:00">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>