1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets Sign Rashad McCants

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by noscrusir, Sep 24, 2009.

1. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I like this signing.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Very good chance to make the team you would think.

5. noscrusir

Here's the entire article.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6635141.html

The Rockets have added another guard to their growing list of training camp options in the backcourt, signing Rashad McCants to a non-guaranteed contract, a person with knowledge of the deal said Thursday.

McCants averaged 9.6 points per game last season, and has averaged 10 points per game in four seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings. A 6-4 guard, he was the 14th player taken in the 2005 NBA Draft after helping North Carolina to the national championship.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Good low risk signing. Not familular with his Defense, but I like it.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could be a player in this system. Has UNC roots, so hopefully he'll take to sharing and moving without the ball.

8. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

I didn't know McCants got waived..I wonder why..he averaged almost 10 points last season...I got a really good feeling about him, I can we'll forget about Von Wafer soon..

9. Asian Sensation

Awesome. I like Rashad a lot. He could be instant offense off the bench.

10. noscrusir

Sorry about the typo in the thread title. Should be RASHAD McCants, not Rashard. If anyone has editing available, please fix. Thanks!

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If TMAC starts the season on the inactive list, then I could see this.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

He didn't get waived. His rookie contract expired, and Sacramento didn't extend a qualifying offer to him (probably since, as the 14th pick, his qualifying offer was simply more than the Kings wanted to spend on him).

Oh, and he's a ball hog and malcontent.

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It's because he doesn't play any....

14. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

wow some news... this offseason has sucked. thank goodness we are weeks away from some action

15. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

How does this kid get signed to a non-guaranteed contract, as a nearly 10 ppg scorer. I mean, the league scoring average is around 10 ppg, and the average NBA player has a guaranteed deal. Is this kid coming off injuries, or just part of the Johnny Flynn, Rick Rubio, Ramon Sessions shuffle?

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQwS6SJED40&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQwS6SJED40&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn6C4-khm2Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn6C4-khm2Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n3fCpZ7O_HY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n3fCpZ7O_HY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Definitely a Von replacement. Hopefully he can keep the 'tude in check.

17. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Sweet more options to pump up the offense

18. LFE171

LFE171 Member

He has the best shot at making the team over the other non-guarantees. Well, and Pops too.

Hope he can prove himself here. I think he could play better than Von, but he's been hurt so eh, we'll see.

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

He's draft value was significantly inflated after he had a huge workout, and knocked down something like 46 of 50 treys. He's gotten streakier as his career has progressed, but he's a much better version of Luther Head. Better handles, sweeter release, has a semblance of some court vision; still prone to disappearing and just not a consistent threat when he's on the basketball court.

Biggest downside is his terrible attitude, but that's something this Rockets team can straighten out.

No room for him on this team unless Cook is waived, he's just a training camp body that no other organization wants to deal with.

20. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

The Rockets have so many guys.. McCants is a good player, I like him. But I don't want to see Pops get cut, I see a trade.