1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Redding Traded to the Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by moligity, Mar 28, 2005.

1. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3105407

Astros trade Redding to San Diego Padres
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Righthander Tim Redding has been traded by the Astros to the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Humberto Quintero.

"(General manager) Tim (Purpura) and (manager) Phil (Garner) are doing me a favor. Redding said. "I appreciate that they are sending me to a team that is in contention for the National League West."

Redding, who was up for the fifth spot in Houston's rotation, was drafted by the Astros in the 20th round in 1997 and has played four seasons in the majors.

Quintero, who has played in two major league seasons, was acquired by San Diego from the White Sox in 1997.

"(Quintero) is a plus-plus arm ... (He's) a very good defensive catcher," Purpura said.

Ezequiel Astacio, Brandon Duckworth and Dave Burba remain the contenders for the Astros fifth spot in the rotation. Left-handed pitcher Carlos Hernandez, who was demoted to Round Rock last week, is still in the mix for the fifth spot.

The Astros don't need a fifth starter until April 17 because of two days off in the first two weeks of the season.

(EDIT- updated article at 10:50, posted over original post)

#1 moligity, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Hope he remembered to pack all of his STUFF.......buh bye timmy

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The countdown to the comments of "He's going to be the next Curt Schilling... you'll see!" has now begun.

fwiw, it would not suprise me if he went on to have an OK MLB career... but I won't have any regrets as an Astros fan, because we gave him almost THREE full years to try and prove himself.

He got more chances than his performance warranted.

4. fya

fya Member

Doing you a favor would be kicking your worthless ass! Great trade however :)

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You just know he will turn it around now. Okay...maybe not.

I'm glad to see him go because you know he wasn't going to turn it around here. Plus, he has an attitude problem. LOL

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I wonder what we got for him.

Probably not a lot, but a decent minor league prospect at best?

The funny thing is, we don't exactly have a high quality 5th starter and he couldn't make our rotation... what makes him think he's a mlb starter?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We got a minor league catcher named Humberto Quintero.

He saw some action in the big leagues last year, and he's 26 years old.

I don't know if this signals an end to the "Hector Giminez is the future catcher of the Astros" era, but we'll see.

8. fya

fya Member

9. fya

fya Member

Dang it.

"The Padres on Monday acquired right-handed pitcher Tim Redding and cash considerations from the Astros in exchange for minor league catcher Humberto Quintero."

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

We got a 26 year old with some major league experience.. that sounds okay to me... as much or more than I expected.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

One slice of pizza. Two. whatever. Just send it.

12. fya

fya Member

I bet gallo is next.

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Argh! I wish they would have traded him somewhere else. I live in SD and go to quite a few games even though I am a huge Astros fan.

I just don't want to have to watch him pitch if he all of a sudden turns it on (which I doubt). I still get annoyed watching Scott Linebrink out there pitching like he is knowing how terrible he was for the Astros. At least Ricky Stone didn't work out for them at the end of the year last year :D

What's the deal with the Padres picking up all of our trash anyway?

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Quintero seems like he has a good arm and an OK bat. Might be a decent replacement for Ausmus in the near future. Redding's got more upside, but I wouldn't bet on him realizing that potential with his attitude and work ethic.

I just wish we could have offloaded Duckworth too.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

Quintero is an Ausmus clone from everything I've read. He's a great catcher who can't hit.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

maybe, but that describes 80% of the catchers in the majors

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hopefully this will signal the "Brad Ausmus is the current catcher of the Astros" era. He's still 25 and has some good numbers for a catcher though very brief so I'm not sure what he could do over 162 games. He was voted Best Defensive Catcher by Baseball America for the Padres system but I'm not sure what that means other than his D shouldn't be too bad.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wish we got a player that plays a different position. Catcher is kinda boring.

Oh well, cant really be picky in this case.

Redding is no longer an Astro....Phew.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'd much rather depend on a 25-year-old Ausmus clone than a 35-year-old Brad Ausmus. Time is especially rough on catchers. Look at Piazza and really any C who's played the position for a long period of time. Ausmus no longer has a great arm, and was run on frequently last year.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i bet redding has a solid year in the super pitcher friendly padres stadium. hope he can do well there.