1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Lance Berkman tears ACL - out 6 months

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bwarren, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Best case scenario. It happened now not in May or June. This will give the Astros time to plan better and Lance will be back in April or latest May..........rested.

Get well and strong soon Lance.

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

If I was in a contract year I wouldn't be doing anything that could get me injured... I think I'd stay in a giant bubble all day..

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What if the bubble burst?

Also, he'll be fine... this is not like a pitcher blowing out his rotator cuff. This is not career-threatening, and he is still worth his $10-12 million a year, for a long time.

I always look at these injuries a certain way... like if it didn't happen with him playing flag football, it would have happened when he was jogging, or making a sharp movement, or hell, while he was getting out of a car (that actually happened to a friend of mine... strange).

Or, even worse, while he was running the bases on opening day... a much worse scenario.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Flag football, maybe he was playing with some kids. Doesn't Berkman oarticipate in some christian youth group or something?

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

This knee injury may cause his defense to get worst and thats real scary :eek:

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Time to move him to first base, and Bagwell back to 3rd.

:p

I am not too worried...Lance will be ok...

Church Flag Football?

DD

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

bagwell at 3rd would be as effective as redding as a starting pitcher

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

nick.. lol.. lance is already rich so I guess the bubble was a joke...

but last year in one of my classes.. I had the guy that turned out being the number 6 player selected in this years baseball draft...

he was a pitcher and I'd always tell people.. if I was him I wouldn't be writing or doing anything with that arm until the draftw as over and my contract was signed.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

btw.. one heck of a smart guy.. I look for Jeremy Sowers to do big things.. inside and outside of baseball

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

interesting.. after reading that artcile.. the new GM basically says Lance takes responsiblity for it.. and that also those activites are not allowed under astros contracts...

his guranteed contract had expired apparently.. . but if it was a normal year he would be in trouble for this event I suppose

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You haven't seen anything yet.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Send him twinkies and he'll be fine in no time.

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Just more incentive to resign Kent so we have another bat in the lineup while Berkman's out. :)

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

well ESPN did say that is was part of a church related function so it was for a good cause and all we can do is wish him a nice and quick recovery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1916993

HOUSTON -- Astros outfielder Lance Berkman may miss the start of next season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee while playing flag football.

Berkman will have surgery within 10 days, the Astros said Friday, and will need five to six months to recover. The injury occurred during a church-related function, new Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.

A three-time NL All-Star, Berkman hit .316 this season with 30 homers and 106 RBI. Berkman, who made his major league debut in 1999, has a .303 career average with 156 homers and 535 RBI.

"I think it was an unfortunate event," Purpura said. "But the fact that Lance was absolutely and totally forthright with us and has absolutely accepted responsibility shows the kind of person he is, the kind of character he has, and from that point of view, it's an unfortunate incident.

"I mean, players have lives outside of the game, and what they do with those lives, that's really their decision. They bear some risks, is the way I look at it. The way Lance has handled this is absolutely first-class, and what you'd expect from Lance Berkman."

Berkman is eligible for salary arbitration and can

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Lance has never run like a gazelle. In that respect, this probably won't turn out to have a big effect on his career, longterm, but it's still a hell of a blow to the Astros. You never know just how long it's going to take to rehab from surgery. Everyone reacts differently to something like this. I just hope he doesn't miss much of the season, and comes back 100%.

In a perfect world, Berkman would make the move now to 1st base, but we know the chances of that. Bags is going to be there until his contract ends, or until he just can't drag himself onto the field any longer. Tough break.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

With this happening should the astros take a look at possible free agent outfileders or think trade just in case lance is not able to start or be able go for a couple of months. ?

17. Win

Win Contributing Member

This really sucks! After Alou and Kents' bungling and out right lieing as to how their off-season injuries occured, Lance should at least have witnesses to his dubious choice of activities.

I for one think this injury WILL have an impact on his career. It could actually be positive if he takes the rehab opportunity to trim down just a little and fine-tune a bit. The last thing we need is an even SLOWER Lance Berkman. So....... Here's hoping for a speedy and healthy recovery to a GREAT Houston Astro!!

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Come on guys. Lance isn't a speedster, but he's also not slow. He might look it, but I'm sure you've all seen him cover the ground he covers in the outfield. Very underrated speed, though it's nothign spectacular.

I think this recovery is very important for him because he does rely on that "speed" to be an above-average defender

19. lalala902102001

Hopefully he'll be ready to play by June. ACL injuries are not that bad for base players.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This totally sux azz...He was doing it playing flag football...WTF...