1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Inserted at one, Rockets' Head makes case for more minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude I promise I'm not always trying to argue with you but I've always thought luther is pretty well built. alston is skinny.

2. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

He looks well built, but he still weighs only 185 lbs. He's lean and muscular, but not a tank like Bonzi or David Wesley. Luther's weight is definitely on the very low end of the NBA scale.

3. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Congratulations to myself!! Finally, i'm not a rookie anymore and I can create threads!! It's actually pretty exciting.

Anyways, regarding Luther Head, I think he is a work in progress. We expected too much out of him as a rookie. He played well at times but he needs time to develop his game. The only reason he was mentioned in so many trade talks, was because other teams would like to have him. If he can develop a consistent outside shot, the sky is the limit for this guy on our team. I liked the way he played the point the other night but we have to wait and see if he can do it against the top guards night in and night out.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Care to explain how Francis, Marbury and even AI dunk(ed) in traffic regularly? Francis and Marbury are slightly larger guys while AI is smaller.

I think it has more to do with a guy going to the basket regularly. In the NBA, Head has become a long range shooter. If he slashed to the basket he would throw down dunks as often as any little guy.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Allen Iverson doesn't dunk regularly in games, francis is very strong and he has the highest vertical of all of them. that four inches that separates francis's leaping ability from most guys makes all the difference.

6. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

AI dunks in traffic regularly? You're talking about Allen Iverson, right?

7. Guru

Guru Member

He does fine in NBA2K7 :D

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Luther just might be the most underrated dunker on this team. That kid's got some hops.

9. dudelos

dudelos Member

Head is going to be our backup point guard for sure. All these people who keep saying v-span is going to take over the starting pg spot are crazy. That kid has been a pg version of stro so far. I dont care what he did in the world championship. This isnt team Greece and he didnt even start for that team either. In fact, that kid only happened to have one good game the entire world championship and y'all claim that he is the next coming of manu ginobli. People have lucky breaks all the time. There was a game last year where bruce bowen owned dirk. That must mean that he's better than dirk by that logic. Well obviously that's not true and vspan is not better than chris paul just because he owned him in one game.
    Head is a good shooter, he has some good point guard skills (at least better than vspan). I have always been a luther head fan. I would be really disappointed if we let this kid go. He really showed his skills last year when we needed it. Plus he's 24 and we can groom him to be our pg of the future behind alston for the time being.

10. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

First off, use paragraphs plz.

Second, VSpan had more than 1 good game. He didn't start, but he finished games, and the only reason he didn't start is because the papdoukais (?) guy was the veteran and like the top euro guard.

Third, I also love luther and am glad we kept him despite all the trade talks, but don't give up on VSpan just yet. He needs even more time to develop than a college player b/c he is totally unfamiliar w/ NBA rules/game.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Notice the past tense of the word. Yes, AI had plenty of great dunks early in his career and many of them were in traffic.

12. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Luther has potentials to be a good pg. He has to improve his ball handling and pass.
    GO HEAD!!!

13. rcalderon

rcalderon Member

I'm sure Head will do ok this year. We have talent and we need our deep rotation all year. I see him play more minutes as 2 guard than as a point.But I believe he will be our 6th man this year.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks man! Those were some sweet highlights of AI. Maybe he doesn't want to waste the energy now because he plays 45 mins/game.

16. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Luther can dunk pretty well

And I am assuming that beacuse of better conditioning and strength, he should have a higher vertical then when he was back in college

he just doesnt do it for some reason

17. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

thats really exciting. this looks like its going to be a very deep bench, which is something that has plagued the rockets since 94-95