1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Inserted at one, Rockets' Head makes case for more minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Rockets Dynasty

The reason Head isn't trying to dunk a lot is SIMPLE.

He lacks the strength to finish at the NBA level.

Many of you may be shocked to know that Alston can do windmill 360 dunks - yes I've seen it before, but he can barely finish even a layup at NBA level.

To dunk on the NBA level without power to finish through and over people you need to be on an open break away.

Head can easily convert lobs into dunks for example as long as no defender comes near him, if someone does as in 90 percent of cases he does not have nearly the strength required to finish.

Ben Gordon may be of very similar height, length, athletisicm, leaping ability, but he's muchmuch stronger and more powerful.

And there is an enormous difference from Amare's 38 vertical or Swift's 40 vertical to Head's 39 vertical in that the force and explosion is much much less for Head because he is soo much smaller.

Every added pound moving that fast and exploding into the air creates that much more force and power.

Head simply lacks the NBA body to finish dunks.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Luther should be top 6 in our rotation.

Let him develop and I definetly think he is a Mobley type player. Maybe not quite so productive. But in that mold.

3. high5

high5 Member

You could say the same for David Wesley, for example, or even Bruce Bowen. Yet they still did/do a great job defensively.

I've seen Battier play a lot since he came turned pro (in fact, he's my favorite player from 2001 class, along with Joe Johnson), and I'll always take his tenacity/intelligence/skill on D over some athletic freak who's lacking in those departments.

Just to make myself clear, I'm not against Battier at 4, I'm only against him exclusively there... so I like this JVG's statement: I'm not sure we won't start games bigger and work down. And I'm in favor of giving Hayes serious PF minutes hoping he could become our Udonis Haslem-like guy.

Exactly.

4. akuma

akuma Member

call me shocked :eek: . the only person i've ever seen do a 360 windmill was Vince Carter in the slam dunk contest. there is no freaking way Rafer can do it.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

He was in the And1 tapes, Skip 2 my Lou. But hell, I've seen an even better dunk on youtube, some crazy guy did a 720 dunk!

6. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

I don't think so. He runs fast and shoots fast like Mike Bibby. If he proved he could play better at 1 than at 2 ;)

7. slickrick

slickrick Member

the and1 player done one it was sick

8. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Just an impression that struck me from watching Rafer and Luther both run the point - is their style, speed and pattern coming across midcourt and setting up the offense looked amazingly almost identical.

My guess would be with VG commenting and coaching during the last game about guys not being in the right position - is the coaches are precisely coaching Rafer and Head on the pace and positioning of the PG's - since both are much more familiar with VG's system - they are expected to freelance less.

I did not get the same impression from Lucas or VSpan - but perhaps because their personal styles are still dominant and they have not had time to be coached into the VG system. Plus both of them seem consistently faster - and a little out of control at times - vs. Rafer & Luther.

Anyone else notice the Rafer/Luther similarity?

9. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

it wont matter because bonzi could come in at the two and grab a lot of boards. but dont underrate battiers rebounding. he may not get the actual snaredown, but he'll tip it out to tmac or one of our guards. oooo sura was especially good at grabbing those :rolleyes:

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

So much for your credibility.

His "tenacity/intelligence/skill" isn't lost when he's playing at the 4 spot. Had one of the lowest opponent eFG% in the league playing PF last year. Wells and Snyder are certainly better defenders at the 2 than Juwan or Novak at the 4.

11. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

is it just coincidence that the chron title of this article has Inserted, Head and case in it? hmm...

12. localalien

localalien Contributing Member

Wow, wasn't there any other vocabulary available to describe that?

13. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

BS, pure BS.

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Care to elaborate?

Incidentally, I found this:

http://www.momentumsportsgroup.com/news_jgraham.html

Predraft combine scores for everyone... Notice Luther's bench press numbers. Ultra impressive for a skinny guy like him.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I agree. I think it has more to do with a combination of a lack of height and a largely perimeter game.

16. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

I think its more of that he lost a bit on his vertical

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Could very well be.

Also, Rafer dunking is a part of his legend. He may have been a very good dunker, but I've never seen it. I've seen the first mix tape and I don't remember any dunks from Rafer, much less a 360.

18. indahizouse

indahizouse Member

I believe that Head should be our backup point. :D
    JLIII still needs a lot of work and so does V-Span...

19. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

i think it will be a Backup Point guard by committe...Van Gundy will play the matchups and depending on who is playing well in that stretch...I don't think there is a sure shot backup....

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why would he have lost some of his vertical?