1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Inserted at one, Rockets' Head makes case for more minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. munco

munco Member

I'm more comfortable with him at the 2 than the 4. Although he might be slower than the ideal 2, a bigger issue would be his rebounding at the 4.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

One factor regarding the shooting of Luther, V-Span et al is the new ball factor. Novak seems to be okay with it, but all around the league there are quite a number of players who seem to be struggling with their shot.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OMR, I'll say it one more time: Please try not to be so sensitive, especially about V-Span. You act as if I threw him under the bus. Give me a break. People are going to say how they feel. Yes, he was awful yesterday; simple as that. Does that mean he will ALWAYS be awful? Of course not. Let's tone down the emotions some.

To say I have an "unyielding can do no wrong lovefest with JVG" is just ignorant. What are you talking about? I'm a strong neutral on the guy. This is his get results or hit the road year. My comments on him are usually in response to the "hatefest" some have with him. For the most part, I have little problem with JVG's demeanor and most of his public comments. Some others find fault in every little thing he does/says and hijack threads over it. To each his own. All I care about is scheming our offense & defense and playing a rotation that maximizes our chances to win. I criticized him on occassion last year (and will do so again this year) but because of the injuries and pathetic roster, his coaching got a pass from me (JVG the GM is a failure).

Get used to criticism of V-Span when he plays bad. I promise you more is coming whether you like it or not because he may struggle for while. When he plays well he'll get praised. Please understand I have no objection to your bias and love of V-Span because we all have our favorites. Just realize most of us have a different perspective than you. Going forward, it's obvious he's a gifted passer who sees things most other players don't. He also has good intensity, good hands and quickness on defense (reminds me of Mike James). When V-Span settles down, he will get floor time. It's early, but I'm almost ready to give up on his shooting. He has a lot of work to put in to become respectable. Or maybe he just needs to shake off the jitters (we can hope).

Speaking of "stupid", if comparing V-Span's playing time yesterday to sex isn't stupid, I don't know what is.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I've been optimistic about VSpan since he got here, but him being a rookie and being unfamiliar with the NBA game I don't see him getting too many minutes when it's all said and done. Obviously he looked bad last night, but it's going to be hard for him to beat out Head and Kirk Snyder off the bench. Snyder does a lot of things that he does well .... and Snyder has the experience.

As for Head, he's going to get his minutes somehow if he keeps shooting the ball like last night. If he can run the point that makes our lineup even more flexible.

Can't wait to see Bonzi and Yao get out there so we can see the team at full strength.

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Luther Head is definitely the most underrated player on the Rockets. I'm glad he wasnt traded during the draft ( as was rumored).

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I have never wanted Luther to be traded. And I have always felt that he should make his mark at the point. I've never even understood JVG feeling that he can't handle the basketball. I don't think he's ever been given the chance to handle the ball.

However, if JVG isn't going to let him play major minutes (and I don't see how he gets major minutes at the 2, unless Snyder totally collapses), then I would suggest he needs to be moved if we decide that we can get somebody that can contribute for him and Howard.

I am actually thrilled that he did so well and JVG is finally considering playing him at the point.

I think our best offensive lineup for half court crunch time is

McGrady
    Head
    Battier
    Yao
    Novak

Luther has the mental make up, the athleticism, and the smarts to be a very good player for us. But it has to be at point guard. HE needs to be able to play off the ball and catch and shoot, which is his forte. And he is still our best PG defender by far.

If you take the above lineup and replace Novak with Bonzi or Snyder, then you probably have our best defensive lineup. Luther should be in the rotation and get major minutes. If he doesn't, then he is just being wasted.

7. BigTex

BigTex Member

yep, battier and head >>>>>>> Brandon Roy

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Luther has the potential to serve the 6th man/offensive spark off the bench role that Mobley did so well in his first couple years. And maybe when Alston breaks down and can't play PG anymore, Luther can step in. But either way, he looks to be bringing excellent value for his draft position, as does Novak.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was very comfortable with a Snyder and Head manning the SG spot this season. Head had a great last couple of months. Bonzi gives the Rockets a very deep position.

I am less confident with Head playing the 1 unless McGrady handles some of the point duties. Head has shown he can play the defense there, but I worry about turnovers and getting into the offense. Head does have the potential to become a huge threat from behind the arc ala Kenny Smith.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

LOL, who made that video?

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Might this have more to do with preseason than the ball?

12. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

thumbs, are you by any chance related to "fingers"?

It wasn't me... but apparently somebody who reads this board.

13. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

why would you have head in at crunch time? Alston needs to be in there.. same with novak I rather have bonzi wells in the game

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn't Head it one or two game winners last year? In crunch time, McGrady is going to be your primary ball-handler/decision-maker, so the need for a ball-handling pure point guard is reduced. Head has a more accurate jumper (I presume, maybe Alston really improved in the offseason), so I think he might fit in better in crunch time.

15. Fuse

Fuse Member

Criticism is fine. I think the sensitivity of the issue is prompted by the overreaction to his inability so far to meet people's expectations. Everybody just needs to be more patient and be less extreme...

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Luther can consistently play the backup PG efficiently, then he has value, as an undersized SG, he has minimal value, only as a backup.

IMHO, of course.

DD

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Did I hit a sore spot here? :D

Also I remember now, you're the VSpan hater on board. You were the got he was awful long ago. You haven't even acknowledged that you were wrong about the guy. So why should I listen to any of your comments about him. :mad:

18. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Basically if Head can play the point he is a keeper, if he is going to be an undersized 2, we have gotten pretty deep at that position and he might be better trade bait.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OUCH! :D

20. richter911

richter911 Member

Head can play good team defense,but still doesn't have the size to play one-on-one defense aginst either 1 or 2 gurads of the elite teams,so when the season begins,teams will play iso on him, and we will be in trouble.

So as much as I like him,he need to be trade for a PF if we have the oppotunity.I think we have enough guards right now.