1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Duckworth welcomes trade to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Dec 5, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Pitcher welcomes trade to Astros

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Brandon Duckworth chuckles at the similar refrain he hears when people congratulate him for being traded from the Phillies to the Astros last month in the deal that sent Billy Wagner to Philadelphia.

Without fail, the righthander is told how fortunate he is to no longer pitch for Larry Bowa. Bowa's managerial style is considered tyrannical to some, and he doesn't mind getting on his players on the field or in the press.

Duckworth, 27, isn't the only player who struggled under Bowa. Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen, one of the best at his position, fell under Bowa's wrath. Phillies left fielder Pat Burrell is anotherplayer who has feuded with Bowa.

"I think it's all in how you take it," Duckworth said from his home in Salt Lake City. "Larry loves to win, and that's all he wants to do. That's what every player wants to do. He feels like he's on the field with you, and in some ways he is.

"I think players like myself, I wanted to do so much and do so well that I was overdoing things. Everybody wants to win and you have one goal, which is to get to the World Series."

Astros manager Jimy Williams has called Duckworth to tell him what he expects of his players. Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker has called. Williams' critics may complain he pulls starters too early, but his players admire him because he praises in public and reprimands in private.

Even when his starters are bombed, forcing Williams to pull them early, the manager keeps his disappointment hidden away from the media.

"I like Jimy because he protects his players," Wagner said. "The talk-radio guys may not like him because he doesn't give them what they want, but he really protects his players."

Hunsicker doesn't want to judge Bowa's impact on Duckworth's struggles in Philadelphia, but he hopes the move to the Astros helps.

"I do think different players respond to different types of managers," Hunsicker said. "I think part of our success has to do with the type of managers and coaches we hire. We take that into account when we hire coaches and players."

Duckworth was 4-7 with a 4.94 ERA in 18 starts and six relief appearances in 2003. Over parts of three big-league seasons, he is 15-18 with a 4.87 ERA in 58 starts and seven relief appearances.

"A lot of time you will put more pressure on yourself to perform," Duckworth said. "You know what your capabilities are. If you're not performing to your expectations and that of the fans and manager, then you put more pressure.

"Any time you get into a little bit of a rut, which is what I was in, I think a change may help. I'm really looking forward to getting to Houston. From what I understand, the team chemistry is great, the team is great and it's a real good environment.

"I had some things to overcome. This puts me in a whole different light, different atmosphere. I think this is going to be a great thing."

Ultimately, it will be up to Duckworth to turn his career around. Williams, pitching coach Burt Hooton and a more relaxed environment will provide only so much support.

It's Duckworth's responsibility to perfect his pitches, and to that end he has started working toward spring training. The avid hunter has traded his deer rifle for weight training equipment.

Duckworth isn't blessed with a mid-90s fastball; he pitches in the low 90s with movement. He throws a four-seam and two-seam fastball, curveball, changeup and a cutter, which is more like a hard slider.

"I actually like him as a pitcher," two-time Gold Glove catcher Brad Ausmus said. "His ball moves. Nothing is straight. He has movement that can get great."

Duckworth, who is about even as far as the ratio of fly balls to ground balls, is working on his cutter after straying away from that pitch in 2003.

"I tend to use pretty much everything," he said. "I'm not going to go to one certain pitch all the time. My changeup has been very reliable. I want to get consistent movement with my fastball to all sides of the plate. I want to bring my cutter-slider back out because I didn't throw it that much last year. I'm just excited to get this thing going again."

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

he has good stuff but he sucks...he has been my fantasy league sleeper for the past 2 years in my 20 team league i'm in and he has failed both times.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I wouldn't give up on Hernandez just yet.

5. Major

Major Member

Good News on Carlos Hernandez

What's the deal with the Astros' having all these young arms who have no significant health issues all through the minors, get up to the Astros and suffer major injuries? Oswalt, Hernandez, Rosario just in the last few years.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That's why your prototypical pitchers are 6'5.

The Stros got lucky getting Oswalt, Miller, etc. in the later rounds because teams don't like to gamble on pitchers with small structures. Which so happens to be one of the reasons why they all get injured so much and can't pitch more than 6 innings.

7. Major

Major Member

The Stros got lucky getting Oswalt, Miller, etc. in the later rounds because teams don't like to gamble on pitchers with small structures. Which so happens to be one of the reasons why they all get injured so much and can't pitch more than 6 innings.

But that doesn't explain why they are healthy all through their minor league careers. Hernandez and Rosario lasted years in the minors and both had significant injuries in their 2nd major league start. (Hernandez' wasn't even pitching related)

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wasn't Oswalt's injury non-pitching related as well?

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You know, I predict now that a phrase we will all use often next season is gonna be "fu**in Duckworth!."

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, it was his groin.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Duckworth was a promising prospect just a couple of years ago. He has good stuff, better than someone like Jeroime Robertson. He just needs to put it together.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I remember Duckworth's first time through all the national league teams that he was close to unhittable. Then for some reason, his stats started going downhill.

13. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

i think rosario had that injury since mid-2002. or at least that is when is arm troubles began. But, your right, the stros have had bad luck w/ injuries to their young arms. The one silver lining is that for owsalt and hernandez their injuries occured on freak baserunning blunders. That points to just bad luck causing the injuries and not some organizational misuse of young arms.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm hoping the new scenery will help him get back to form. But then I was hoping Moochie would turn it around under JVG.

I'd like to see the Astros get that minor league pitching coach that helped Roy Halladay - I think he's available.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read articles like that (the Hernandez one) and I want to get excited about seeing the Carlos of old, but I can't help but be cynical and think that his shoulder will never return to normal and the best we ever saw of him was his beginning. He looked so damn good I figured he would be an Astro for a while and would anchor that killer rotation of Oswalt, Miller, Hernandez, Redding, Random Dude for a long time. Now I will just be happy if he can manage to stay healthy and on he team for all of this next season.

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

We should consider converting him to a setup man like Brad Lidge.

A Left-Right setup situation would be very tough.

A 5'10" pitcher with shoulder problems cannot log 200+ innings.

17. Greg M

Greg M Member

His curve probably won't be as nasty but the reports out of Venezuala say his arm strength is nearing 100% and his control seems to be back. If Pettitte signs, I imagine Hernandez will start the year in AAA. His future is still as a starter. Even without a nasty curve the guy is still twice the pitcher Robertson is. Honestly I hope Jeriome never becomes a regular starter again, for the Astros. Spot starter, yes. 180+ innings, no.

18. Greg M

Greg M Member

That's funny. Next time you should probably read some injury reports. Fortunately for Houston, he doesn't suck.

19. Greg M

Greg M Member

Oh. Your talking about Duckworth not Hernandez. Nevermind the above. I hold off my evabluation of him until I've seen him pitch a few times. Maybe Brad can turn in around. Even if he doesn't improve, he will still be a step ahead of Robertson.

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Hmm. Which Hernandez were you watching? I watched Carlos Hernandez during the entire time he pitched for us and he looked decidedly mediocre.

Still can't understand why so many people are high on him. Did you guys actually watch him pitch? He wasn't terrible but he certainly was average.