1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Commitment to Biggio has more than been met

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bigboymumu, Aug 27, 2004.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I agree, the only question is, do you want to pay him 3 million in salary plus the 1.5 million in incentives he'll most likely reach?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Biggio is at 2,600 hits. He's two seasons away from 3,000. There's no way he's going take a utility role. I guarantee you somebody will want him for that reason alone. It's either starter or gone. I don't think there is a middle ground here.

3. Summer Song Giver

It'd be nice if he would go back to catching, after dealing with Ausmus i think most of us would love Bidge's production out of that psition.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Craig Biggio cannot play at catcher. He's 39 and hasn't played there in over 10 years. Having Biggio behind the plate would severly weaken us up the middle.

If he comes back it'll either be as the starting Left Fielder or possibly as a utility man, but you won't see biggio wearing a catchers mask ever again.

5. Summer Song Giver

I know would should have been could.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Essentially, he will cost $2,000,000. The Astros hold his option and can either sign him for $3,000,000 or buy him out for $1,000,000.

7. Summer Song Giver

So what you're saying is that ......

j/k my math ain't that bad

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

How would the Astros regret it exactly?

Biggio isn't a lock for the Hall if a guy like Sandberg has trouble getting in.

and Phi, there should be no occasion where a player is more important than a championship. No winning professional teams have this viewpoint ever. That's like saying a player is more important than the team.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Loyalty always pays bigger dividends. The Astros regret not having Nolan Ryan around. It got 'em nowhere. And they missed out on no hitters 6 and 7 and 5,000 k's. If they had been loyal, they would have reaped the rewards. Turn your back on your family, and you'll get nowhere fast. And the reason is simple, your family always has your back.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Isn't Kent retiring after the season? So, why not bring Biggio back and move him back to second? I don't want to lose his batting average especially since he's found his swing. Get rid of somebody else...is the way I feel. I also want Biggio to retire an Astro but I think he would be effective at second again as far as fielding goes and his batting should not be in question.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The second base job belongs to Chris Burke next season. If Biggio stays, he'll either be in left field or playing as a super sub.

12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

So basically it is not Biggio play, it 's his salary that is hurting the team. So restructure/renegotiate his contract and limit his playing time. Win-Win!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's only making $3 million this year. That's cheap.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So the Astros have statistically one of the worst bullpens in MLB?

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Our bullpen is terrible except for Lidge. Also, there are better options at second and left. Biggio would be one of the better subs or utility player.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not sure it would belong to chris burke if he were competing with craig biggio for the job. i don't know for sure one way or the other.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

But isn't that exactly what they are saying about Bagwell and his $39 million contract?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Biggio should not be an every day player any longer on the Stros.

I think he wants to go for 3000 hits, let him go.

DD

19. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I predict...

1. They sign Beltran
    2. Burke will be starting at 2B
    3. Biggio will be starting in LF
    4. Berkman will be starting at 1B
    5. Bagwell will be traded or retire
    6. Lane will be starting in RF
    7. Clemens will be back for 1 more season

Just a hunch that I have ;)

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i heard milo say they had some interview with bagwell where he's already planning his off-season training at minute maid park. that tends to make me lean towards the "he's not retiring" camp...and i doubt seriously someone is gonna take on his contract.

sooooo...my guess would be jeff bagwell will be in your opening day lineup next season.