1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Beltran's success poses financial dilemma

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Oski2005, Oct 16, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

excellent point. they're doing all this WITH ANDY PETTITTE AND WADE MILLER ON THE DL!!!!

would love to see what they could do, clicking like this, with those guys healthy.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Berkman's just a good player. I was surprisingly comfortable with him in center.

3. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I don't want to think about the offseason. I'm enjoying this Push for the Pennant! I just think about how good we would be if our Rotation would be if we had Pettite and Miller. I think Beltran will seriously consider the Astros if we keep these guys together and Clemens comes back for one more year to handle some unfinished business with his boy Andy.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm thinking about Berkman at 1st after Bags retires, Lane in LF, Taveres in CF and Beltran to RF. Taveres has way too much speed to waste in LF at the juice box. Beltran has the cannon for RF. That makes for a pretty solid outfield defense.

Future lineup (2006 or 2007)

Taveres CF
    Everett SS
    Beltran RF
    Berkman 1B
    Lane LF
    Ensberg 3B
    Burke 2B
    Chavez/Jimenez/free agent C

5. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Time for the Players' wives to take that lady shopping.

6. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!! ;) Come on ladies!!!!!!!

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I love Beltran but I cannot see the Astros morgaging the future on one player. Good pitching beats good hitting and we will need a few arms in the off-season. I do not know how much Drayton feels he can spend on Beltran but if he were to offer $75 Million over 5 years I would think that was a fair offer. As Dakota mentioned he is a career .270 hitter although a very CLUTCH .270 hitter. I love the guy, but when its all said and done it will be about the money..........its always about the money when a guy is in his prime and is set to be the biggest free agent since A-Rod.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he's actually a career .284 hitter. but he had some injury seasons where his numbers suffered.

i'd bet big on Beltran...no problem with $15 mill/season.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I just think for the good of the team and overall. Bagwell should step up as a leader and walk in there and talk to Drayton and say that he wants to rework his contract just for the chance to keep Beltran here. I mean after what he has done for us in this post season he should be willing to make a sacrafice to keep winning.

He is really tasting what it's like to win in the post season and i believe he should step as the leader and push Drayton to give him the money he deserves and if anyone else needs to defer money then they should.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's only so much Bagwell can do. He can't reduce his contract, the Players' Association would not allow that. A-Rod tried to do that to go to the Red Sox and it was blocked.

11. Stack24

Well i believe he doesn't have to reduce it but he can defer some of his money for longer period of time. I know he has some of his money deferred right now and he should be able to redo it.

If not then Drayton need to grow some cajones and just dish out the money....can't loose a player so young with so much talent and brings this excitment to the Astros.

Reminds me of when Bags and biggio were studs in 94 and they had that excitment.

We need that young excitment right now.

12. Buck Turgidson

Bags has reworked his contract before to accomodate players a ton less impressive than Carlos. I have no doubt he will do whatever he can for the franchise.

Stack, check your email.

Go stros.

13. Stack24

Yeah i have no doubt in my mind he wouldn't do it...he's the leader of this team and has the class to continue leading it and doing the right things.

Okay checking email..

14. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

hard to say

I mean beltran has been ABSOLUTELY beyond any verbal description that a fan can offer this postseason.

However, I think that an offer in the 75-80 million range wouldn't be such a terrible deal.

Hopefully.....

1) Getting to the World Series

2) Resigning key players

3) Getting rid of Scott Boras OR by a miracle, Beltran convincing Boras that he'll take less money

The Cubs and PARTICULARLY the Yankees are obviously going to be in the hunt and frankly I agree if beltran is offered some number around 100-110 million for 5-6 years, I'm afraid we have to let beltran walk.

I hope we'll see some miraculous restructurings and other influences that effect beltran and hopefully we'll see him in an astro uniform for the next half decade :]

15. Stack24

From radio reports, they are saying that Beltran is looking to replace Boras because he isn't all about the money. He likes to play where he is comfortable and he has mentioned that he is comfortable in Houston and likes it here.

This guy was a small market guy and he doesn't mind it. He played in KC but wanted to win and they just didn't do that so he wanted out.

Now that he has a taste of winning im sure he wouldn't mind staying and working a deal. We can all hope and see what happens in the off season of course...It's going to be up and down until we hear that he is signed with the Astros once again =)

16. Buck Turgidson

Also reported that he has a particular dislike for large Northern cities...

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You guys are giving me a lot of hope, I hope it isn't the false kind.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Saying all the things so that Houston can be used as a another bargaining chip :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry for being pessimistic, the Rox had this happen to them way more than I would have liked.

19. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

#39 akperez, Oct 19, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  20. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Yankees organization has way more money than the Astros do, mainly because of the YES TV network. If the Astros-Rockets network was up and running that would be more money for the Astros.