1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christians should watch out about being infected by Buddhists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 12, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to post this in the Republican Nuttery thread but it's been a long time since Pat Robertson ran for office and this has much more to do with religion.

That said it's a good thing that I work in a small business and work a lot out of my house so I don't infect any Christians.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/...ith-buddhists-so-you-dont-get-infected-by-it/

Pat Robertson: Quit your job if you work with Buddhists so you don’t ‘get infected by it’

Christian Broadcasting Network host Pat Robertson told viewers on Monday that Buddhism was like a “disease” and that Christians could get “infected” if their coworkers practiced it.

“I work in an environment where all of my coworkers are Buddhists,” a viewer named Tina explained in an email to Robertson. “They talk about Buddhism all day long and try to preach to me. It didn’t matter much to be before, but since I recommitted myself to Jesus a year ago, it has started to bother me a lot.”

Robertson replied by noting that “healthy” people might not contract a “mild contagion.”

“But if you put yourself in the middle of a hospital ward where everybody has the disease except you, sooner or later, you will be infected by it,” the TV preacher warned. “If you’re in the middle of hundreds and hundreds of people who believe that way, you’ve got an uphill fight.”

“And I think your best thing at that point is to withdraw with dignity,” Robertson said. “Get out of that environment because they’re going to get to you before you get to them.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BMRWI30Hgi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few more thoughts. I'm wondering what kind of business, outside of Yoga, organic foods, and incense sales has hundreds of Buddhists working there. ;) That said if this person's coworkers are trying to convert her I don't think that work is the place to do that. Of course she shouldn't be trying to convert them either.

The other thought is that Pat Robertson and her seem to have some doubts about the strength of her faith if being around a bunch of Buddhists will end up infecting her. It seems to me if she was really strong in her faith then anything these Buddhists are saying wouldn't matter.

Finally not surprising Pat Robertson doesn't really understand Buddhism. While Buddhism is a religion and certain sects of Buddhism proselytize for many Buddhists in America it is more about the philosophy and the practice of meditation and mindfulness. I've met people who call themselves Christian Buddhist. They believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible but also engage in Buddhist meditation practice.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How u like dem apples?

Seriously though, I imagine they're conflating Buddhism with New Agey stuff, or what Pope Francis refers to as "religion a la carte".

Of course, dem catholics are just heathens in the eyes of the Pat Robertsons of the world.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Funny stuff. Never even heard of a proselytizing Buddhist.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess you never used to go to airports in the old days. :)

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought"

-Buddha

:eek:

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Why are old people on TV?

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Because old people watch TV.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Only if you believe your thoughts. Don't believe it. It's not your anyway.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

There is an element of truth in Mr. Robertson's statement. One of my friends in high school was an AP scholar and #11 rank in his class, but when he shipped off to college got around the wrong crew and starting smoking Buddha. Soon he was addicted and that led him to a spiral of descent that led him to becoming a CPA instead of his dreams of medicine as he had planned out for as a youth. Buddha can be a destructive force in one's life if taken in excess.

11. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or Union Square, present day. :p

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Sounds like a call to her supervisor or HR would've been more in line.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Back in the mid-'60's I was working for the father of a 20 year old daughter who had left Houston to live in Greenwich Village. Every once in a while he'd complain about her to me. Of course, I thought what she had done was really cool, but kept it to myself. During the summer, she came home for a visit and started working for dear old dad, throwing us into close proximity. Turns out that she'd moved in with a Japanese-American Buddhist and artist who was about 25. She got into his religion, as well as yoga, and had come back without her boyfriend to Houston in an attempt to make peace with her family. That didn't work out, but she was able to pocket some money, and after several weeks she went back. I've never forgotten her. If your typical young female Buddhist is a beautiful and brilliant intellectual, precocious for her age, then sign me up. Her last day in Houston, she made a point of seeking me out and handed me a small hardcover of Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, signed by her along with a personal message. I still have it. I could have fallen for her, big time, if she hadn't been spoken for. It's hard to imagine a more gentle, civilized person. Robertson is an idiot anyway, but getting in a dither about Buddhists seems awfully misguided.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ugh, no thanks; there'd be a bull**** complaint for every secret Santa or department Christmas party in retaliation. Pre-internet this would actually be a pretty decent means of letting off steam without sabotaging anyone else professionally or forcing wasteful paperwork.