1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg says he learned a ton w- Bill O'Brien as freshman 'System fit great. We'll see'.

Christian Hackenberg said his decline was due to sanctions partially 'my biggest fear is not being able to reach my potential'

Christian Hackenberg said it would be a 'great opportunity' to play for Texans and Bill O'Brien

Bill O'Brien on the quarterback class: 'It's a long process. There seems to be a good list of guys here.'

Bill O'Brien on Christian Hackenberg: 'He's a great kid. I've known him for a long time. He's humble. He's smart, talented.'

Bill O'Brien on Christian Hackenberg: 'I think Christian is a very talented guy. It is very difficult to be a starting quarterback.'

Bill O'Brien on Christian Hackenberg: 'He can throw the football. He's a big guy. He's smart.'

Bill O'Brien on Bob McNair saying he wants a quarterback: 'Whatever the owner says. He's a great owner. He wants a winner.'

— ‏@AaronWilson_NFL

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien on Bob McNair saying he wants a quarterback: 'Whatever the owner says. He's a great owner. He wants a winner.'</p>— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/702894839440904192">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Whatever Mr. McNair says we try and go by that.” Bill O’Brien</p>— PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/702894983926280192">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> coach Bill O'Brien wouldn't say if Christian Hackenberg has starter ability because it's "very hard to start in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a>." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSU?src=hash">#PSU</a></p>— Ron Clements (@Ron_Clements) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Clements/status/702894689020542976">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rick Smith said he's scouted Christian Hackenberg, said he looks forward to getting to know him, still forming his opinion</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/702899364000206848">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rick Smith on Christian Hackenberg: 'He's a guy that I'm looking forward to getting to know through the process.'</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/702899467201019904">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rick Smith on QB: 'It's a difficult position. You want to push the guy as fast as you can in an effective manner and not inhibit his growth'</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/702899264016424960">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rick Smith on quarterback: 'That's the most important position.'</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/702897881099833344">February 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

PLEASE Smith, draft Hack. Maybe you'll finally be fired this time.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Before the draft, if a team official's lips are moving, they are lying. We can only hope O'Brien's glowing review of Hackenberg is misdirection. Plus, he only has 9" hands. Didn't it come out that the Texans weren't enamored with Bridgewater because of his smallish hands?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He'll be promoted

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we want Hackenberg (I'm only saying if), we'll almost have to take him in the first. Maybe you trade back to the late first and pick up and extra third round pick. Or trade into the early second and pick up a third and a fourth or something, but if we want Hack, that's our sweet spot. I don't see us trading back up and jumping teams that may take him in the early to mid second, like Dallas, Buffalo, St Louis, Philly, San Fran, or any other team that may need a QB for the future.

If we find a quarterback we want, whoever it may be, don't wait around for him. Make a move to jump up if you have to, or if it's a second tier guy, reach a little, or trade back a few spots and draft him. Don't depend on someone falling.

8. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Nobody but the Texans would touch this guy in the first. Honestly no smart team would touch him til the third.

However, teams get enamored with great combine workouts which is how Gabbert got picked in the first. Or teams fall in love with great potential despite college inaccurate passing which is how Locker went in the first.

So I agree that the Texans would probably have to get him by the early second round if they want him.

I do not want him at all but BOB doesn't care what anyone thinks

1 person likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Major accuracy issues at the combine...

10. tested911

tested911 Member

Yup, look what a yahoo article posted

"Perhaps the worst performance of the day was turned in by Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg. Coming off back-to-back disappointing seasons, Hackenberg missed badly on several throws — high, low and wide — and appeared to be doubting himself, shaking his head after a few misfires. For a prospect whose stock appears to be so volatile, perhaps even with having one NFL head coach in his corner, Hackenberg did not appear to help himself Saturday."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-out-most-in-qb-combine-drills-204430713.html

11. AceballerGTR

AceballerGTR Member

Part of me wants to think he is doing this to worsen his stock so we can get a rb in the first and move up in the second to get him Grand scheme by O'Brien

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Nope pretty sure he just has accuracy issues. Somehow I still feel we will draft him in the first round. I feel O'Brien I great at coaching up qb's but horrible at judging talent.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I doubt it now. I think if he had a great combine then the Texans could reach on him, but now he should be slipping. Lynch may drop to the Texans now though.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The lesson the Texans learned from having Schaub and Hoyer is that QB's can't go bald. So, criteria #1 should be, does this person look like they will have a head full of hair still in ten years?

Everything follows after that.

1 person likes this.
  15. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Rule out Paxton Lynch. Hack does have some nice lettuce

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

All this garbage Hackenberg workout tells me that the Texans will def draft RB O line and Linebacker in the first 3 rounds. We will still take Hack.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hack maybe the most scrutinized player in the draft. He's getting killed for his bad throws even though Lynch had a bad miss and a few others that were off target.

To me, it is Wentz/Goff and then everyone else. Wentz missed bad on one throw but him and Goff were easily the best passers yesterday.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lynch had the injury excuse plus his footwork was lacking because he wasn't under center in college. Hackenberg was supposed to display his big arm so him being off-target on those is more telling. Same with Cook, the receivers had to slow down to catch the long passes. This is why some QBs don't like to throw at the combine. It's not the most ideal and comfortable setting to show off their skill-set.

Lynch either needs time to develop or needs to be surrounded by a strong line and running game. Same as Prescott.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

They are throwing against air and they all have the same "disadvantage." A real NFL game isn't ideal or comfortable either. Corners that run 4.3 40's, blitzes, stunts, etc.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. But they are not all familiar with the receivers and the routes they are running. Some QBs are more used to that based on how they played in their college offense. During their pro days they have s better chance to highlight what they do best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.