1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Webber, Commentator

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ParaSolid, May 3, 2012.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He did the Memphis-LAC game today and I think that he did a great job. He doesn't have annoying fillers (um, uh, hmmm, eh heh heh), he gives solid input, his voice doesn't grate on you, and he seems to have great chemistry with the rest of the team. He's great, already one of my favorites. Additionally, despite what some people think, I do not get that cocky vibe from him. I think he's just a cool guy who speaks well on TV, and that's more than you can say for a lot of the talking heads for the NBA today.

What do you guys think?

2. VBG

VBG Member

I agree. He seems excited to be there. He's very solid. Gives good insight.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Webber, Clyde, and Shaq should do a game sometime. It'll just be Webber talking alone... and occasional echoes from Clyde.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Webber does commentary well.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it.

He's knowledgable and has interesting insights.

He has to work on his delivery and style, but that just takes time.

Unless you're Clyde Drexler, then it takes an eternity.

6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I agree! C-Webb is great.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

If it means sending him back to the studio to replace Shaq, do it! :p

But no, he's ok. Not bad.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yes, and he didn't ruin Inside the NBA the way Shaq does...

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I like him, I appreciate that he does research before games, and that he's worked on his craft and gotten better at it.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I honestly didn't really think he did that good of a job. If it was his first time though, I'll give him another try before I make a conclusion.

Only thing that bugged me, is that periodically he had terrible timing. As if he was waiting for a chance to say what was on his mind (for other guy to shut up) and when he said it the timing was off. One example was him complementing the Clippers saying that's what they've been doing all night and how they came back in game one.....after they committed their 2nd TO in about 20 seconds.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

YEa definitely. A+ job by C-Webb!

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Webber has done stuff for NBA TV before, but not something like TNT or ESPN.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ya he has really grown on me. GP and Webb together on NBATV were pretty whack...you could tell that they had just smoked some dank right before.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I liked him but agree that he needs to work on timing and delivery. You could tell he was nervous at times. Being nervous is good, though. It reflects that he's excited about it, wants to do a good job, etc.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't see the broadcast but I'm glad to hear he did well. I never cared for him much in studio. Adam Shefter used to be nervous and had trouble with his delivery but he overcame it, seems smooth now (whether you like him or not, that's another story), so I'm sure Webber will improve.

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I thought Dick Stockton was dying during last nights broadcast. He sounded terrible. I wish Gus Johnson would do NBA playoffs. That would be epic.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was sorry to see Webber replaced by Shaq. I thought he had really grown into the job at Inside the NBA. Shaq is still floundering around. The flow is backed up. Someone give that group an enema!

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. I thought Chris Webber did a great job on the commentary. Gives good, thoughtful analysis and not the general parroting or entertainment shtick. He keeps it real and isn't afraid to call people out and is also rather humble. Very likable. Compare that to someone like Reggie Miller (who is very bland) and it is night and day.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks O'Neal has completely ruined the TNT broadcast. He's absolute dead weight. TNT should know better than to just throw somebody up there simply because they're famous and expect it to work. Shaq has no charisma and brings very little basketball insight to the table. Get him OFF that broadcast, please.

20. Homey the Clown

Already one of my fav commentators.