1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Burke...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baqui99, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sweet, it worked! I love reverse psychology.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Laugh it up gentlemen. That's the last home run you'll see Burke hit all year.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm a Burke man, myself. I believe he will be the best MLer of all the Astros' one-year or less players*, Lane/Zeke/Wandy/Burns/Burkett/HQ -- except for that ROY center fielder.

*One full season of ML experience, April - Sept.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

lol. egg on face. ;)

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

Burke has played well in left. I don't know where that's coming from.

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't either.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

totally agreed. he's been a nice surprise defensively in LF.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Way to early to give up on him.

DD

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not too early to give up on him in LF. He might have a good career as a middle infielder, but it's ridiculous to put someone with his lack of power in a corner outfield position.

10. MadMax

oh, yeah?

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

:D

We all saw the answer for Chris Burke yesterday.

Hit him 3rd in the batting order.

The best way to see if a Major Leaguer can hit is to hit them right before a stud like Lance Berkman. You know they will get good pitches to hit. Burke did yesterday, and he responded in kind.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I've always maintained that Burke is a better top of the order hitter because he has a better approach (or a more learned approach) when he knows he's going to see pitches to hit.

He looks lost at the bottom of the order... which can happen to guys who have never spent much time there in their careers (Burke has been a top of the order guy likely since grade school).

But, in this lineup, he'll have to learn... I don't see him supplanting Biggio in the #2 slot.

13. Major

Major Member

For August, Burke now has an OPS around 0.850 - still low average, but lots of power. 8 extra base hits out of 11 total hits (4 doubles, 2 triples, 2 HRs). Maybe giving him all this playing time and not trading for some mediocre bat just for the sake of making a trade might actually turn out OK and help us in the end....

14. MadMax

who'd have thunk it??

i find myself drawn to rooting for players that others are doubting. i was not a burke fan...but the more i've seen people here pile on...the more i find myself defending him and rooting for him. he's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ditto. As an Astro fan, it helps that there's a vocal group of people who love to bash the players rather than enjoy the playoff race we're in. That makes me root even harder for players like Burke, Everett and Ausmus.

16. DaDakota

I have always like Burke, all he needs is confidence and maybe we have another Ensberg on our hands.....maybe not for power, but a markedly improved player.

GO BURKE !

DD

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've enjoyed his play since AA. I expect him to develop into a solid doubles guy, good BA for a 2nd baseman, and in the mid-teens in homers. His "problem" is that he's playing at a traditional power position instead of at his normal position.

18. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well I hope I am wrong but I do not think Burke will ever be anything more than an average player.

The knock on him is that his swing was slow. he cheats a little and gets started earlier but that does not work against real major league pitchers. every time he faces a scrub pitcher he shows good plate judgement and does well. When he faces better pitching he struggles. While that can be said for most players he still is so hot and cold. He has been stroking the ball very good over the last 7 days or so but has only managed a .235 BA with a OBA of .322 overall in the month of august. That is not very good.

I hope he pans out because the Astros need him to step up right now, not in the future.

19. DaDakota

Dennis...come on...Ausmus has had a great career with a slow swing....I mean......well.......never mind.

:)

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

You know, I'd like to see Burke hit 6th more. He's been hitting 7th or 8th for most of the season and you just don't see a lot of quality pitches down there. I don't think he'll ever hit well enough to be a corner outfielder, but at the same time, I believe that he's better than his stats indicate. It's hard for a young player to produce that far down in the order.